Hi, new guy needs help!

Options
Hi, I started 3 days ago. It says I should be eating 2880 call a day. That seems like a lot. I started at 338 I'm 34 and been over weight my whole life. Today I feel like I piged out a little and only ate 1600 cal. I made it over the "starvation"(1200) point the last 3 days but only by a little. I've been ok. I'm making filling healthy meals. It says I would only loss a pound a week? I know from trying in the past I'm going to need to see some pounds come off to be inspired to stick with it. I've also been trying to do p90x for 30 min a day. Am I doing this right?

Replies

• fitdad0987
    Options
    Remember that you need to eat and meet the calorie goal, particularly with healthy non processed foods. Don't be inspired by pounds as weight fluctuates dad to day by 2-4 pounds. I try to notice things like better stamina at the gym, feeling more awake in the morning, having more energy, etc. I've told those around me that I am going to be eating differently. Sometimes it's harder for the wife and kids, than for me. Why is daddy on a diet, or honey, eat some more pasta. Nope. No diet, nope no more pasta. I'm changing my lifestyle and eating habits. After 2 weeks they got used to it. Co-workers went out for Famous Dave's BBQ yesterday.. I didn't join them and I just ate my packed lunch. It's these little habits like not grabbing the donuts at the conference table, or eating that snack without reading the label. Every time I look at food I as myself is this nutritious, will it make me feel and look good. I swear it may be as hard as quitting smoking. I stopped at my favorite coffee shop today. Got my usual black coffee, and thought, those cherry Danish look good. I would normally just get one without consequence. That 400+ cal danish would blow my entire workout. Nope, don't need it, and it won't make me feel or look good. Change your habits and relationship with food, it's difficult but ultimately worth it. Good luck you can do it. Regarding working out, any exercise is great, take it slow and steady and make it a part of your lifestyle. It took me almost a year to make fitness part of mine.
  • Mellyajc
    Mellyajc Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I think people's daily calorie burns can vary. When I first started, I tracked my baseline intake before trying to cut any calories. My baseline seemed to be around 1500, so trying to follow any 2000 calorie diet would make me gain. It could be helpful to figure out what your personal baseline is, rather than following MFP's algorithm.

What have you changed so far? Have you always eaten this amount? Is the exercise already habit or something you're just starting?
  • carazyg
    carazyg Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Every time I look at food I ask myself is this nutritious, will it make me feel and look good.
    ^^^
    I love this!!
  • danielle_jeanne
    danielle_jeanne Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Calories are hard for me. But if you're doing P90X you definitely need to be eating enough. "starvation mode" is different for each person- 1200 is a guideline, however if you're eating less than your RMR you could be putting your body into starvation mode. Do before and after pictures- it *helps*.
  • riginthering
    Options
    At 338, the weight is going to pour off at first, the second you restrict your calorie intake, so don't trip about that. Stay above starvation mode, though.

Also, I wouldn't jump into p90x. I would walk an hour a day until you can hit 3.5 miles in an hour (plot it out on google maps if you don't have a local track).
  • nvirgo79
    Options
    Thank you for the responses... i never really counted a calories before it wouldn't surprise me I was eating 5000 cal some days.

I'm doing p90x but I only do what I can. If I get gased or just can't do it I run in place or do jumping jacks.

I don't belong to a gym yet. I don't have equipment at home except a bike I bought last year for $600 that I told myself I was going to get my money's worth out of... it's freezing outside. That's why I'm doing the p90x. Cardio and weight bands.
  • nvirgo79
    Options
    I'm finding myself not wanting to eat because I want to eat something good that will make me feel full, not to just have calories. I missed breakfast today. Had coffee. I had 1240 cals and that was only because I ate some sour cream and onion chips so I wasn't in starvation
  • dianed1974
    Options
    As far as working out I wouldn't worry about joining a gym or having a lot of equipment. A bike is great but there are also plenty of "bodyweight only" based workouts that keep you from having to put out a lot of money on equipment, it is also a nice place to start if you haven't been a regular exerciser. Good luck!!
  • malivic
    Options
    I'm going to be fairly straightforward and I hope you will take it as is intended, ie. helpful :) If you are on this site and wanting to lose weight it's safe to say that up till now your eating habits have led you over your required calorie allowance for a healthy weight. Yet now you're talking about restraining your eating to the point of calorie insufficiency for your size. Sometimes when people go on a 'diet' they tend to feel like they should be restricted - in fact they have lost all idea of what a normal diet looks like.

My guess is that it might be useful for you to seek some assistance from a nutritionist/dietitian to help you work out what would be a healthy and realistic eating plan for you within your allowance. Missing breakfast but then eating a bag of crisps is not going to help you!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Knowledge is power, read through this and learn a few things. Always remember that weight loss happens in the kitchen and fitness with exercise.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet
  • artgod
    artgod Posts: 2
    Options
    I can understand this post. when i have started a "diet" especially when i was really over weight/obese, i would restrict my calories alot. then i would end up blowing it on unhealthy choices, which didnt help at all !. I have yet to master health eating and still have weaknesses, like today with movie theater popcorn. but i try to have a "majority" of good days at my calorie range and not beat myself up when i fall "off the wagon"!
  • Mellyajc
    Options
    Perhaps it would be helpful to view eating in a routine just as much as the exercise, and make sure you have several meals planned. Start playing with what foods help you feel full and are healthy. You know your daily calorie allotment, so divide that up between the number of meals you plan on having (hopefully 3-4ish at least). Protein is great for staving off hunger. Some of my breakfast options are bagels with cream cheese and tomato, PBJ, cottage cheese and fruit, and oatmeal with a Tbs of dried cranberries and a Tbs of walnuts. These vary something like 180-330 calories and generally do a decent job of keeping me sated for a few hours.

Generally speaking, healthier the food choices, the more satisfying they will be in terms of hunger, and the calories are more useful to your body (180 calories might be might cottage cheese and fruit which will last a few hours...or a small bag of chips which won't fill you up even right after you eat them).
  • Mellyajc
    Options
    In terms of motivation, also look at more than just the scale. Take measurements if you like, look how your clothes fit, and, what I like more than anything - take stock of your fitness level. Notice when things get easier, or you can do more reps, or you get less out of breath, or you can go further or faster, etc. They can help keep you motivated for the things that are helpful to keep doing sooner than the scale might demonstrate what you think you want to see.
  • nvirgo79
    Options
    I've been eating breakfast, lunch and dinner with a few snacks. I just feel if I'm going to eat something I want it to feel like I ate something, and not be loaded with calories. It's not about what I used to do, it's what I'm doing now. Even when I wasn't watching what I ate I wasn't eating 4000cal every day. I just want to make sure that I keep my metabolism working with out eating more calories then I need or not feeling satisfied. . Like I said I been over weight my whole life. Since I was a child people have said do this do that. What works for one person might not work for another.
  • Aes37850
    Options
    Do your research around online to see approximately what you should be eating calorie wise per day. Make sure you log in your exercise too, even if it's an approximate. Then you can play around with your net calories or goal calories. I know I weigh more, personally, after I've had junk food even if it's within my calories.

My advice is to take it one step at a time. My route was: 1. watching calories 2. Eating fresh foods (this part is a lot of work since you have to cook everything yourself and measure everything!) and 3. Add in more exercise each day.

I'm still figuring out what calorie amount works best for me and whether or not to eat my exercise calories. Everyone is different. All I have to say is research, take it slow and figure out what works best for you!

Good luck! Feel free to add me :)
  • nvirgo79
    Options