daily weigh-ins?

Options
anybody weigh in everyday? what are the benefits?

Replies

• Bigpelly8
    Bigpelly8 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I have been checking myself daily this past week, just to kind of see how my weight fluctuates.....

What I have found out, is that it's a bad idea for me to weigh myself every day!! I go up and down between 1-3 lbs almost daily, and it's not what I want to watch everyday. I imagine it is different for everybody, but it's not for me. Im going back to weekly for now, and eventually monthly.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily! It can be discouraging at times when the scale doesn't move. But, I just tell myself, it's not going to move down everyday and sometimes it WILL go up. But, it is a good motivator for me to keep me on track. If I see a little gain, I try really hard to make sure I eat especially clean that day, drink lots of water and don't allow any type of "cheat" treats.
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    Whether or not it's a good idea or not depends on how it affects YOU. If you are discouraged easily over slight fluctuations, don't do it. If it helps to motivate you to keep on track, go for it. Me? After an indulgent Sunday, I skipped my weigh in today. I figure it'd do more harm to my motivation than not. Whatever you do, be consistent as to time of day & how you are dressed, etc. when you do weigh in. :flowerforyou:
  • Ding724
    Ding724 Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Alot of people have told me that you shouldn't weigh in everyday because it makes you crazy, but I think you have to just find what works for you...Personally, I weigh myself every morning to see where i'm at and it really keeps me motivated to keep working hard! Especially if the scale goes up a little bit I usually tend to work out even harder on those days. Good luck!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I weigh in not quite daily but about 4 times a week. MWF just to keep track and Sat is my "official" weigh in where I mark my progress.

For me, my periodic weigh in is always at night, where the Sat ones are in the morning and for me it really is about getting to know and understand my body. I record the weights for about 3 weeks and only compare my mondays to other mondays, wed to wed etc. For me it helps me understand what can drastically effect my weight so if I have a "bad" weigh in, I feel like I better understand why. And I have a better comprehension of what particualr foods do to my body.
  • FitWithMae
    FitWithMae Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I think weighing everyday can drive you crazy. I weigh once or twice a week. We get so caught up in the numbers on the scale. I mean sure the ultimate goal is to see them go lower and lower, but if your so focused on the lbs you may get discouraged. I have been stuck around the same weight for quite awhile now and its frustrating, but obviously I have lost inches because I went down another size in jeans recently.
  • abbycat900
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. Sometimes I wake up feeling chunky, and it makes me want to weigh in because I either want to be pleasantly surprised or be able to catch and see what my recent eating habits have done to my weight loss. It's all a personal thing, really. I do it because it keeps me on top of controlling my habits and that's awesome, but for a while, I wasn't losing any weight at ALL and was actually gaining, so weighing every day can also be a bummer. Whatever you choose, good luck!
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I do, first thing in the morning after I use the bathroom. Keeps me focused. But I don't report it on here daily, I do that every Sunday :flowerforyou:
  • FelipaJ
    Options
    I normally weigh myself daily, but haven't these past 2 wks or so. Had a super busy weekend, 2 5ks, a Zumba class, 6mile walk, and something else I can't remember....
    Scale says I gained 3lbs, I'm sure it's water, but since I hadn't checked daily I'm not sure when it appeared...now I just have to wait for it to go away.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I hate weighing myself every day. It's frustrating.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I officially weigh-in once a month and also have my measurements and Body Fat percent calculated at the same time at the gym. I view that time as the true test of how well I've done. I don't think I could deal with a weigh-in every day. I know your weight can flucuate, especially when we get PMS. I'd be depressed if the scale went up, so I avoid the daily weigh in.

I do get some insight in between when I choose to play Wii fit, though. It tells me if I've gained or lost since the last time I played, which can be a nice pat on the back.... when the game is being friendly.*LOL*

Shannon
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Your weight will fluctuate throughout the day as well as day to day. For the first couple weeks I check every day as I enjoy seeing the water weight melt off. However, once I hit that sort of "plateau" and the water weight is gone then I only check 2-3 times a week. A lot of ppl will tell you to weigh in only once a week, but I personally need to check in @ least twice a week to keep my head in the game. I've got a big goal to accomplish and I can't afford even 1 bad week if I can help it!
  • Bryan190
    Options
    The right answer is whatever works for you to keep you motivated. For me that means weighing daily but only recording if I show a loss, unless I go more than 14 days with a gain - then I'll record it. It works for me because when I have gains (everybody does), it gives me time to correct it before I have to make it "official". It's all mind games but we all have to play those that work for us.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily but I wouldn't suggest it unless you find it motivating. It will ruin some people and Push others. it helps to keep me focused and on track
  • js775219
    Options
    I have been a daily weigher for the past few weeks, at first I thought it would be discouraging and I would cry (lol...but seriously) but I find that it's an excellent motivator and for me it's just about knowing my body and trying to pin point how I react to things. I weigh at the same time everyday in the morning BEFORE I work out (I was weighing after working out but then I learned two words that have become my sworn enemy: Lactic Acid) in the nude and I just record it. I only "officially" weigh on Sundays and it's cool with me. But it's NOT, I repeat NOT for everybody.