Need good ideas for snacks.

Options
I'm in kind of a weird situation... I don't have a kitchen, and my main source of food (Chow hall) is only open until 6:30 in the evening, so after dinner when I have cals left, I'm kinda screwed.

anybody got any ideas for low cal, preferably high protein snacks? I'm already stocked up on fruit.

Replies

• MrsAustin1480
    MrsAustin1480 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Nuts, string cheese, beef jerky (yuck personally), cottage cheese, tuna, beans, Greek yogurt...I guess you'd need a fridge for the cheese and yogurt but that might get you started anywho. I'm following this too for information about high protein foods! Good luck!
  • j67867
    j67867 Posts: 27
    Options
    doughnuts mate
  • callas444
    callas444 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Nuts are always good- have to weigh/measure though because they add up fast. Nut butters (have you tried cashew and almond butters? yum!) maybe on some celery if you like some crunch... also hummus is delicious on veggies or pita or crackers. In addition to string cheese, there are cheese sticks now that are colby jack -60 calories for the reduced fat!
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Try keeping nuts and nut butters, eat on crackers or by the spoonful. Jerkey is good, you could always buy a box of protein bars or a tub of the powdet. Good luck.
  • chickenz
    chickenz Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am assuming you want shelf stable:
    smalll packs of tuna or chicken packed in water with crackers.
  • emd2570
    emd2570 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Make your own trail mix - nuts dried fruit - throw some chocolate chips in if u crave something sweet- I usually do almonds - dried cranberries or raisins - some gdark chocolate chips
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Popcorn! It's not high protein, but it's tasty and you get to eat so much of it for so few cal's that it really fills you up. Also, plain instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of peanut butter blended in and a banana sliced on top is filling, high in protein and tasty.
  • pastorcaz
    pastorcaz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a small container with a divider and weigh out a few dried prunes, mixed fruit, various seeds and usually 4 chunks of dark chocolate. I keep it on me then throughout the day and I dip in and out. When people at church are having biscuits and cake with their coffee, I go for the snack container. It always intrigues them what I have in there. And it's a good talking point about healthy snacking. Hope it helps.
  • j67867
    j67867 Posts: 27
    Options
    carrot
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    This may only be useful in the UK but Twiglets are handy, I presume it's the Marmite on them. A small bag is 98 cals and 3g protein. Obviously not something you'd maybe use too much but it's a handy source for boosting things at times.
  • momonthego42
    momonthego42 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Something that I keep on hand that doesn't require refrigeration is the Wild Garden Hummus Dip. The single serving has only 63 calories with 3 grams of each fat and carbohydrates and 6 grams of protein. What's even nicer is that there are three flavors to choose from.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    Protein shakes
    Almonds
    Avocados
    MRE's from Steve's Paleo
    Peanut or Almond butter
    Pouch of tuna or salmon
    Tinned smoked oysters or fish
    Beef jerky
    Pumpkin seeds
  • SgtZabka
    SgtZabka Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes bro
  • pastorcaz
    pastorcaz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This may be useful to some
    Eating healthy snacks can help you reach your nutrition and weight goals. Learn 4 common snacking mistakes you may be making and healthy snack ideas to eat instead.
    I am a bona fide snack lover. I always have snacks in my desk drawer at work, a piece of fruit in my purse and a bag of almonds in my car. Smart snacking—choosing healthy foods in portions of 200 calories or less if you’re trying to lose or maintain weight—can provide instant hunger relief and be a great way to add nutrients to your diet. The right choices can help fill you up for fewer calories and power you through the day.

But poor snacking habits can cause you to eat too many calories and do a number on your waistline. Americans now consume on average more than two snacks a day and a recent study found that snacking may make up one-fourth of our daily calories. Here are four easy solutions to common snacking mistakes:

Snack Mistake: You Nosh on Empty Calories.
    Chips, candies, cookies are devoid of nutrients, don’t fill you up and may have you reaching for more food sooner than you hoped.

Healthy Snack Solution: Choose snacks that pair protein with carbohydrates, such as almonds with an orange, or roasted chickpeas, which are a good natural mix of carbs and protein. Chickpeas are also high in fiber, which research suggests may help prevent weight gain and even may help you lose weight. Carbs and protein are a good pairing because carbohydrates provide your body and brain with energy, and protein-rich foods keep you feeling full longer because they break down more slowly in the body.

Snack Mistake: You Eat a Morning Snack.
    A 2011 Journal of the American Dietetic Association study found that dieters who didn’t snack between breakfast and lunch lost nearly 5 percent more weight (an average of 7.5 more pounds) over a year than morning snackers. Since breakfast and lunch can be only a few hours apart, researchers suspect that most a.m. snacks are fueled out of habit rather than hunger—and generally amount to mindless eating.

Healthy Snack Solution: Forgo the morning snack, unless you have to go more than four hours until lunch.

Snack Mistake: You Skip Snacks Altogether.
    If you go too long between meals, you might be more prone to feast on high-calorie foods when you do eat, says a study in the October 2011 Journal of Clinical Investigation. Participants looked at pics of low-cal and high-cal foods (like ice cream sundaes) between 2 and 4 hours after eating lunch and had their brains scanned. Researchers found that participants were much more interested in the high-cal foods when their blood sugar levels were low (in other words, when participants were hungry) versus when levels were normal.

Healthy Snack Solution: Satisfy afternoon hunger—and avoid tempting-but-less-healthy options—by planning ahead. Start by stocking these Healthy Snacks to Stash in Your Desk.

Snack Mistake: You Deprive Yourself of Treats.
    A small indulgence may be the secret to losing weight—and keeping it off for good. Savoring a tiny treat each day won’t sabotage your weight-loss efforts, says research in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association.

Healthy Snack Solution: Make room for a daily treat in your diet. If you crave salty snacks, like pita chips, popcorn or cheese and crackers, it’s OK to indulge in the occasional small portion. Got a sweet tooth? Go for a delicious low-calorie chocolate treat after dinner.

Source from www.eatingwell.com
  • Mojoman02
    Mojoman02 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Laughing cow garlic and herb cheese wedge with crackers of your choice! Yum!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    beef jerky and chocolate chip cookies.
  • sonytomtp
    sonytomtp Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This may only be useful in the UK but Twiglets are handy, I presume it's the Marmite on them. A small bag is 98 cals and 3g protein. Obviously not something you'd maybe use too much but it's a handy source for boosting things at times.
    Looked at the nutrition of Twiglets and was really surprised.
    Might incorporate them into my diet, so thanks.
  • xscat
    xscat Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My recent finding is celery dipped in homemade hummus. All you need is chickpeas and a blender. Oh and sprinkling it with paprika and cumin certain helps spice it up too. Ready in less than 10 min!
  • krist3ng
    krist3ng Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I've been having dry-roasted edamame beans as a snack, and dayuummm, do they have a lot of protein.
  • samueleketorp
    samueleketorp Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    These are awesome. You don't need a kitchen to make them, they taste excellent and have good nutritional values.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/natural-bulking-bars/