Oatmeal ideas

Options
i'm needing some new ways to liven up plain oatmeal. i'm not very creative when it comes to food. any suggestions?

Replies

• SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    This morning, I splurged a bit. Mixed it with just a little bit of peanut butter, a little bit of chocolate chips, and some Stevia. Tasted very similar to no bakes. Mm.

Usually, I just use sugar or stevia and fruit. I love it with bananas.
  • MileHighFitness
    MileHighFitness Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats, blueberries, cinnamon! DONE and Yumm! :wink:

Be careful of any sugary alternatives.. the higher glycemic index will slow down weight loss goals..

Enjoy your breakfast!
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Best idea? Make it into cookies ; )

Breakfast ideas... Add peanut butter; add pumpkin pie spice; add cranberries; add whatever your favorite fruits are : )
  • bunny1006
    bunny1006 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tedjrake3
    Options
    Add honey and cinnamon
  • aealair
    aealair Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like to buy frozen berries and then cook them with the oatmeal, then add some stevia or honey. It tastes like a berry pie :)
  • Gypsym00nJill
    Options
    Gluten Free 'pancakes'

Ingredients:
    2 eggs, beaten with cinnamon
    1 ripe banana, mashed into beaten eggs with a fork to form a 'batter'
    1 packet of plain, instant oatmeal mixed into the 'batter'

Melt butter or oil in a pan to coat it (or use Pam on a non-stick frying pan). Pour mixture into pan to create 3 pancakes. It's important to make 3 because that leaves them small enough to fit on a spatula and flip easily without creating a hot mess. Cook on each side for about 3-4 minutes until browned. Top with berries, walnuts, honey, applesauce, whatever you like! SO GOOD.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I add 1 tbsp chia seeds, 1 tbsp ground flax, 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds and some dried fruit to 1 packet of instant oatmeal. Sometimes I'll also add 1 tsp brown sugar and/or 1 tsp cinnamon; I'm also thinking of adding some ground black sesame. Just about 400 calories depending on what bran of oatmeal you use. Add lots of water as the chia seeds will absorb a lot and nuke for a few minutes. You'll end up with a nice thick oatmeal that will last you til lunch and is full of lots of yummy stuff.
  • Sylvitryinghard
    Sylvitryinghard Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    blend one egg, 20 g oats and half banana :) then frie in pan
    topping: greek joghurt, fruit you like and honey
    low calories, no sugar, sooo tasty and fills up for hours!!
  • Machdude
    Machdude Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Banana slices and cinnamon.
  • tmaree2
    tmaree2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Gluten Free 'pancakes'

Ingredients:
    2 eggs, beaten with cinnamon
    1 ripe banana, mashed into beaten eggs with a fork to form a 'batter'
    1 packet of plain, instant oatmeal mixed into the 'batter'

Melt butter or oil in a pan to coat it (or use Pam on a non-stick frying pan). Pour mixture into pan to create 3 pancakes. It's important to make 3 because that leaves them small enough to fit on a spatula and flip easily without creating a hot mess. Cook on each side for about 3-4 minutes until browned. Top with berries, walnuts, honey, applesauce, whatever you like! SO GOOD.

be careful....packet oatmeal is not GF. you need to buy specific Gluten Free oats, steelcut or otherwise labelled. Oats have gluten :-)
  • Armagan123
    Armagan123 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    bump
  • EMPulseKC
    EMPulseKC Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon, natural honey or molasses, ground flax seed and fresh fruit like berries or peaches has always worked for me.
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Fruit and honey.
    Lately I've been having any combination/all of the following:
    Banana
    Sultanas
    Cherries
    Honey
    Small sprinkling (10g) of flaked almonds on top

Even that gives me enough variety to make things interesting for a while :)
  • bkjk997
    bkjk997 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Good question! I do 3 variations: Apple sauce and cinnamon. Raisins and cinnamon. Fresh/frozen berries.
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    add can pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice
    cook oats in eggnog and add cinnamon.

here are some recipes I have saved

cinnamon roll oatmeal
    http://www.motherthyme.com/2014/01/cinnamon-roll-oatmeal.html

carrot cake and zucchini bread oatmeal
    http://86lemons.com/carrot-cake-zucchini-bread-oatmeal/

gingersnap oatmeal
    http://ashleighskitchen.blogspot.ca/2011/12/gingersnap-oatmeal.html

overnight crock pot pumpkin pie oatmeal
    http://www.theyummylife.com/Slow_Cooker_Pumpkin_Pie_Oatmeal

link to 50 other recipes for oatmeal
    http://www.familyfreshcooking.com/2013/01/18/50-amazing-oatmeal-recipes/

Hope that helps :)
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    This morning (well, last night really) I made overnight steel cut oats. It was pretty easy to do. 1 cup dry oats, 2 cups water, a mashed banana, pinch of salt, and cinnamon. Boil the water, add the oats + everything else and cook for 1 minute. Turn off the heat, cover, and go to bed. In the morning I added in chopped walnuts, chia seeds, and maple syrup. Given that I'm not a huge fan of oatmeal it was just ok to me - but anyone that loves oats will probably appreciate the ease and convenience of this style of preparation.

The one way I truly love my oatmeal though - savory! Seriously. Having it with cheese, garlic, and breakfast sausage is just the best. It reminds me of eating risotto and I love it so so much more that the sweet varieties.
  • LilithNoor
    Options
    A tsp of honey, chopped dates and fresh nutmeg is my current favourite. I like making overnight oatmeal and mixing in dried fruit so by the morning they've plumped up nicely.

Raisins, apricots and dried apple are really good
  • margaretdoggett1
    margaretdoggett1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I take 1/2 cup raw oatmeal, add 1/4 to 1/3 fresh or usually frozen blueberries, 2 chopped dates, add water to cover in a
    big enough bow. microwave till cooked. Fills me up till lunch. You could also add, chia seeds, ground flax for extra nutrients I sprinkle just a pinch of salt on top to bring out the sweetness... no sugar needed.
  • blably
    blably Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    im not a fan of oatmeal. but i was feelin experimental yesterday and mase some oatmeal-raisisns-coconut.chia seeds- chocko drops-banana cookies... been munchin on them fro breakfast and lunch today at work... love them :) (and they are done in 20 min- 15 min out of that theyre in the owen ) =)