Discouraged on day of starting because of neighbor.

Options
We recently moved but I took my girls over to my old neighbor's house for a playdate with her son yesterday. I know she has substance abuse problems, hence why I stayed there throughout the whole playdate, but she really hurt me. She kept telling me how she can't believe I don't diet and exercise because I'm such a beautiful girl but I need to lose the weight. She told me that if I don't start walking and exercising I'm going to die early, etc...

She just went on and on and on and ON so many times. I wanted to walk out but my kids don't see her son often, so I felt that I had to stay for them. When I got home last night I felt so bad about myself and my choices in \life. I was so depressed, I wanted to cry and when I weighed myself this morning I felt even worse.

I just needed to vent really...I know she has substance abuse problems and I know I shouldn't take it to heart....but it bothered me since my self confidence is so low to begin with.

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately people with substance abuse problems love to find the faults in others to take the attention away from them. When she starts up remind yourself she is doing this to deflect.
  • jaygirl3
    jaygirl3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Dont let that bring you down. What she says doesnt matter, people usually just talk *kitten*. Like you said she's a junkie. Ignore her. Go on with your journey! Hugsss
  • Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry. Sounds like your neighbour might be a little insecure about herself. This is easy for me to say, but simply ignore her or tell her that discussing your weight makes you uncomfortable. Remember, you can lose the weight but she can't lose the stupid.

Also, is it imperative that your kids have play dates with her son? It's not like your neighbours anymore...and she has substance abuse problems. If I were in your shoes, I would simply stop going to her house. Your kids will find new friends.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    My first piece of advice is to not surround yourself with people who bring you down. Not to mention, I really hope your son didn't hear any of that negative talk about you. That is not a good conversation to be having around children. I would really reconsider having this person in your life.

Secondly, you are in charge of your own happiness or sadness, not anyone else. No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. Maybe her words had a strong impact on you, but you must agree with her, otherwise it wouldn't upset you so much.

My advice is to turn this into a positive thing. Look at it as a lesson learned, and if you want to get fit, go for it!
  • TheChocolatePrincess
    Options
    Don't be discouraged...Use it to fuel the fire...She said something that hurt...Don't let it get you down....Get even. You can lose weight any time you want...It's much harder to shake the monkey that's on her back.

I say get up, get out, and get even...

Lose that weight, feel good, lead a better lifestyle, maybe you will encourage her and inspire her to do the same about her struggles with addiction.

Food is a drug. it is just as deadly and it gives a similar high. You can do it. DO BETTER, LIVE BETTER, BE BETTER! (that's my motto anyway)
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    You're going to die early from not exercising? I guess the crack she's smoking will only enhance her lifespan. Who knew!

The only problem you have is taking advice from a crackhead.