Why I Have Generally Given Up in the Past

Options
I can eat without thought and without keeping a diary and hover around my starting weight all the time.

Or, I can judiciously record every single bite that goes into my body, stay below my calorie goal every day, and work out 4-5 days a week without fail, and lose and gain the same two pounds over and over again.

I've been eating at a calorie deficit for over two weeks. I've been exercising at least 45 minutes a day 4 -5 days a week as well. Up until this point, I've lost two pounds. Two. I got on the scale this morning and they're both back in their glorious fatty selves. I'm six ounces away from my starting weight.

My frustration knows no bounds this morning. This is usually what happens to me. I lose and gain back the same piddly amount of poundage for about a month or so before I finally throw up my hands and think to myself, why am I bothering?

It really isn't as simple as deficit in = pounds off--at least, it hasn't been for me since I hit 50. I'm one of those people who was back to pre-pregnancy weight within three months of giving birth, I've never had a problem losing weight when necessary. I've actually been blessedly thin the majority of my life...until now.

I'm off to the gym now before work as usual, and wondering if, aside from the cardio benefit, it's really doing anything for my weight loss or lack there of.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Replies

• demhareis
    Options
    I feel you.

I'm awfully good at maintaining without needing deep thought. But should I wish to lose weight, I need to go to extremes in doctor-monitored diet and heavy exercise.

It sucks.

It's sooo frustrating to put in (what should be) a reasonable diet and a moderate amount of exercise and see no results. That's why I give up too. I wish the same level of diet'n'exercise worked for me as it does for other people.

I wish you luck and sympathy.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    If you gain weight.....you are eating too much.
    Weekend binges?
    Eyeballing your portions?
    Not counting extra bites?
    Or not giving it enough time to work?

Overestimating how active you are? Or doing the same exercise that your body is used to?

If you want to lose weight, it is time to take an honest look at what you are doing.

(Unless there is a medical reason why you have trouble losing weight)

Good luck
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. If you weigh yourself tomorrow you'll probably find it's gone again. It depends on all sorts of things - exercise, salt intake, food eaten, bowel movements, periods, you name it.

Either weigh yourself every day and record it on a graph so you can see the fluctuations over time with a downward trend or stay off the scale for longer between weigh-ins.

I weigh every day and record the lowest measurement that week - I find that the most motivating way.
  • liloldDee
    liloldDee Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Ok I've looked at your diary and you've only been logging on here for 10 days not two weeks, what date did you start calorie counting. Out of those 10 days you have logged exercise for 5 days not every day. What calorie deficit have you set up?

You don't seem to have logged drinks, do you take tea/ coffee etc, if so remember to log milk, cream and sugar if added.
    Today's gain could be water weight, or it could be because your not counting your food as accurately as you think.
    It takes a calorie deficit of 3500 cals to lose one pound, that's a deficit of 500 cals every day.
  • april1445
    april1445 Posts: 334
    Options
    I'm EXACTLY the same! If I pay no attention at all, I will maintain my weight. If I'm diligent about calories, and feel very deprived, I will yoyo between 5 pounds. It's extremely hard to keep trying when the results are so....nonexistent!
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Hey there... I know how frustrating it can be. I put on a few pounds over the holidays and now I am seriously struggling to get rid of them again. I noticed in your diary you used "quick add calories" on a few occasions, and for bigger calorie amounts which leads me to think that you are like me... you do well tracking all day and kind of tap out by evening. It doesn't sound like you actually know what either of those meals were in calories which leads me to believe you're eyeballing, not weighing portions, and not really counting everything. (No judgment here, I'm in the same boat.)

We both need to tighten up and be accountable for our nutrition. You've inspired me to start locking it down and counting everything I eat... for real. :) Thanks! And don't be so hard on yourself. Keep going.
  • GummyHuman
    GummyHuman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Two weeks is SO not enough time to see any real results. 2 pounds is a good loss for that amount of time though. As far as weighing myself, I take the lowest number and run with it. There was a pound difference the two times I got on the scale this morning. (the 2nd time was higher) I'm keeping the lowest number!

Don't give up! Remember, you're not walking around with a number on your chest for all to see. It's not about the # on the scale. It's about how you feel and how you feel about how you look.

I have read, and found it to be true myself, that with a consistent calorie deficit it will take about a month for you to notice a difference in yourself and about 2 months for other people to start noticing a difference.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    How much weight are you trying to lose per week? I think many people are too aggressive, and that can lead to feeling deprived, binging, or taking an extra bite here and there and not accounting for it.

I'm also over 50, and I find that a smaller goal, like. 25-.5 pounds a week is more doable.
  • HoverKitteh
    Options
    I measure and weigh EVERYTHING. I don't account for drinks because all I drink. with the exception of an occasional apple cider vinegar drink, which I log, are unsweetened teas, black coffee, and water.

I began logging on another site which will remain nameless. Then a friend told me about this site--and I've found it's much easier to log every little bite and add my own recipes here, so I switched after 5 days on the other site.

This isn't about me cheating on my diet, or slacking on exercise, or underestimating the amount of food I eat. I'm a Capricorn. I'm very anal about things. It goes against everything I am at my core to be a slacker in ANY area. I've been extremely judicious about the number of calories that pass my lips. My calorie goal per day is 1500 calories, based on my BMR of 1496. I eat back half of my exercise calories on some days, some days, it's just too much effort to eat that much food. I get up at 4:30 AM every work day just so I can get to the gym before work--that is how committed I am to losing the weight.

So, for all who believe that this is merely me--misrepresenting what I eat or what I do for exercise, my diary is wide open and accurate. The two quick add days were when I was at someone's house for a glass of wine and appetizers. I stuck to the veggie plate and one glass of wine. If anything I waaaay over estimated the number of calories I took in.

Two weeks--two pounds lost--two pounds gained as of today., That is where I stand.
  • KristalDawnO
    KristalDawnO Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    This is something I've struggled with as well in the past. Now, I've gained a substantial amount of weight - so upon starting back to seriousness this year I've seen the scale move. Something to be mindful of is your water intake. I didn't realize I needed so much! I'm drinking 170 oz of water each day now and I'm watching sodium. I retain water like it's nobody's business - so that's a big area for improvement. You're also back to exercising, your muscles will retain water as well - but it's all good. You could also be building muscle. Just keep it up and you will see results :)
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I measure and weigh EVERYTHING. I don't account for drinks because all I drink. with the exception of an occasional apple cider vinegar drink, which I log, are unsweetened teas, black coffee, and water.

I began logging on another site which will remain nameless. Then a friend told me about this site--and I've found it's much easier to log every little bite and add my own recipes here, so I switched after 5 days on the other site.

This isn't about me cheating on my diet, or slacking on exercise, or underestimating the amount of food I eat. I'm a Capricorn. I'm very anal about things. It goes against everything I am at my core to be a slacker in ANY area. I've been extremely judicious about the number of calories that pass my lips. My calorie goal per day is 1500 calories, based on my BMR of 1496. I eat back half of my exercise calories on some days, some days, it's just too much effort to eat that much food. I get up at 4:30 AM every work day just so I can get to the gym before work--that is how committed I am to losing the weight.

So, for all who believe that this is merely me--misrepresenting what I eat or what I do for exercise, my diary is wide open and accurate. The two quick add days were when I was at someone's house for a glass of wine and appetizers. I stuck to the veggie plate and one glass of wine. If anything I waaaay over estimated the number of calories I took in.

Two weeks--two pounds lost--two pounds gained as of today., That is where I stand.

Ok then. Good luck with your weight loss. Hopefully things will move in the right direction very soon.
  • shortnsweetbb
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from. For the first 3 months of my weight loss journey I didn't lose a single damn pound. Not one. Talk about infuriating!!! But thankfully I was tracking my measurements and found that I had lost almost 15 inches during that time. The scale lies and does not accurately portray what is going on with our bodies. If you haven't taken your measurements yet, do it now!

I have been doing this since April 2013 and if I hadn't taken my measurements, I would've given up a long time ago. I've lost 20 pounds and now almost 27 inches. Screw the scale - I'm loving that I can fit into pants I haven't worn in several years.
  • Leisalynn84
    Leisalynn84 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I am in the exact same boat, 15 days, two lbs lost, two lbs gained, this morning I was down 1lb so I guess it's a net loss of 1lb. Don't give up! Give it a month and if you still haven't lost anything then maybe change things up a bit. Do you weigh yourself at the same time every day? When I weigh myself in the evening I'm always at least 2lbs heaver than I was in the morning. Stick to it, I'm sure you will see results soon, it sounds like you are doing everything right, just give it time!
  • Rosannajo88
    Rosannajo88 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Drop the cardio and pick up the weights! Seriously, nothing works better for fat burning than heavy lifting. Im assuming you dont lift as you made no reference to weight training in your OP.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I measure and weigh EVERYTHING.

Ok first I'll stop you right there. Don't measure anything. Just weigh. The only thing you can measure is liquids. Anything else... weigh it.

Second, it's normal to gain weight a lot. If you KNOW you've been eating at a deficit, you KNOW it can't be fat. It's water. And it's fine. You'll lose it. But if you give up, obviously, you won't. If I had given up every time I gain 2 lbs of water (which happens every single month before TOM), I wouldn't be where I am today.. I'd probably be 230 lbs by now.

Third, make sure your goal is appropriate.

And don't give up. Just give it time. You're not saying how much you have to lose, but if it's a small amount, you might have to adjust some things. Also, if you still haven't lost anything in a month of weighing everything and eating at a deficit, go see your doctor to make sure you don't have a thyroid issue.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Weight loss varies and is not linear, there is a lot of variability due water and undigested food, etc. - 2 weeks is nothing.
    Keep at it, if you are consistent, it will go in the right direction.

Edit: True Capricorns don't give up after a month.
  • ruralife
    ruralife Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    you are exercising for 45 min a day. Maybe you are building muscle. It weights more than fat.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    If you are as accurate as you believe you are in your logging (don't be offended when people suggest inaccuracy -- it's just a suspect that frequently proves the culprit) then you will be seeing changes.

Your caloric intake sounds low if anything, so I can't imagine that you're eating too much.

It sounds like every time you've given up in the past - if at all like this time - is because you were impatient.

You will not become a bikini model in 10 days. Yes that is hyperbole and no I don't think you literally expect that.

So be patient.

If after five weeks you have not noticed a downward trend, then we can start working on things. But results in ten days . . . insufficient sample size. Your muscles could be retaining fluids as a part of the healing process after your increase in exercise. Your menstruation could account for significantly more water retention than the fat you may have lost in that amount of time.

Anything could happen; give it a month. Impatience will not get you there faster.

BUDDHA_PINK_LOTUS_by_VISHNU108_zps88dd0fd7.gif
  • HoverKitteh
    Options
    I won't be giving up because even without the weight loss, I feel better not eating crap food.

I do a circuit of 25 minutes of weights along with 20 minutes of 3.2 mph on the treadmill at a 7.0 incline. I vary the weight exercises, and do upper body alternated with lower body alternate days and abs every day,

Again--not giving up. Just never had this much trouble dumping weight in my life--and I have 40 pounds to lose.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    I won't be giving up because even without the weight loss, I feel better not eating crap food.

I do a circuit of 25 minutes of weights along with 20 minutes of 3.2 mph on the treadmill at a 7.0 incline. I vary the weight exercises, and do upper body alternated with lower body alternate days and abs every day,

Again--not giving up. Just never had this much trouble dumping weight in my life--and I have 40 pounds to lose.

It's been ten days. You haven't had any trouble.