Not sure how to feel (LONG STORY)...

Options

Replies

• luvclay10
    luvclay10 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Your Journey is your Journey, theirs is theirs. THey might have done what they have done to maybe save their lives and you are doing what you need to do to save yours. I believe it is harder to change your lifestyle by not being forced to. If you get surgery then you are forced into it. You cant eat the way you like in the past. I had a friend who was forced to have bypass surgery to save his life, he lost tons of weight and it sagged to the floor. He also developed horrible eating habits. Never did he eat anything but small amounts of candy and junk food. He would come to lunch and push his food around and we would all be concerned . Last October he passed away his heart could not hold out. I had to empty his desk at work, it was filled with bags and bags of candy . It just broke my heart i wished he was here to see the damage he did. He has left behind 6 children and 20 grandchildren.
    I just believe so many people who get bypass surgery do not change their diets to their new lifestyle. You are doing the right thing and know that in your heart.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I understand your irritation, I swear I do but stop giving that much energy to something / someone that make no difference in your life. Time to let it go....they are doing the best they can do for their own life and their own circumstances.

Be happy for others people even if it is not the choice you would make for yourself.

It is not worth the energy.

Good luck

This, this time a million.

One thing I have learned in life is that if I allow what other people do and say to effect my life, its my fault, period. In laws are always going to say and do things that get on our nerves, best thing we can do is pick our battles and figure out which ones are worth fighting and which ones are worth a hard eye roll.

It will get easier as you get older, but one thing you can ask yourself now is, "what do I get out of holding onto these feelings that I do"? Cause you are getting something out of it, trust me, or else you would not let such trivial matters get you so upset that you bring them to a public internet forum.
  • lyricsmamma6469
    lyricsmamma6469 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Also feel like a ***** and horrible person when I think these things and wanted to vent. lol Sorry!
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    You absolutely are jealous, and you need to face that. Don't ever think weight loss surgery is easy or that a person who has the surgery has no will power. After surgery, you still have to control what you eat, and that does take will power. I have a LapBand, and it's rough. I still have lots of trouble losing weight, mostly because I still have to control what goes in my mouth. When I get stressed, I eat. Weight loss surgery doesn't change that. It's a constant struggle. If you love these people, realize that they've had to deal with being fat for a long time, and they're probably finally happy to be free of that overwhelming anchor around their necks. Try to be happy for them.
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Stop being concerned with what other people do/have done.

On reading this post, this is what I thought too! People have to lose the weight in their on way......Even if I weighed so much as to necessitate gastric bypass surgery, I think I'd be too scared to have it! Just be happy that you are losing in your chosen way... and try not to judge others too harshly.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have a lot of anger, and it is going to be up to you to figure out how to deal with it. Taking it out on others (whether you come right out and say it or whether you just yell at them in your head) is not going to help you or them.

Is this the only area in your life where you feel like this, or do you feel anger in other areas of your life, and have no way to deal with it? It might help to talk to someone about it, either a counsellor or even a close, trusted friend.

In the meantime, try to practice re-training your brain not to dwell on the negative thoughts. And remember that you are not in their skin, you don't know everything they are feeling/experiencing, either. You probably wouldn't like it if someone was observing you and wondering why you didn't stand instead of sit, or take the stairs instead of the elevator, etc. etc. Try not to worry so much about what they are or are not doing, and focus on your own goals.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    All I can say is that it helps YOUR mindset/emotions when you generate positive thoughts about others. Negative thoughts tend to bring people down. So, if you think about the benefit to YOU of being positive, that might help.

As for your BF's parents, remember that its their life and their choices. Be happy for them that they are trying, even if they aren't trying in the manner you chose (the healthier way). There is no benefit to you for having these negative thoughts. Next time your BF's dad says "I lost 10 pounds", tell him "that's great. keep working hard." (even knowing that, perhaps, he's not working all that hard). As for your BF's mom, think "I'm happy that she's going to the gym" rather than "eh, she's afraid to walk an extra 10 feet in the parking lot." They choose how they want to try to get healthier. While I'm not a supporter of the various surgeries (and, yes, there are significant drawbacks as you pointed out), I know its not my choice. I'm not going to waste my time begrudging those folks who made their own choice. Side note...my cousin had one of the surgeries. He didn't lose as much as he should have, and has since gained some of the weight back because he's not putting in the work and eating right afterwards. Instead of begrudging his decision and subsequent bad choices, I'm there trying to encourage him to make better choices.

In short being a Debbie Downer only hurts you. Why are you letting someone else's choices....choices that do not directly affect you....bring you down?
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    it irritates me when my weight loss is overshadowed by theirs because they're losing ten lbs a week compared to my 2 lbs a week.

There's nothing about this situation that you can control to change but the way you look at it. 2 lbs a week is fabulous, and at the end of the day, you're doing this for yourself. Stop comparing your results to their results because their circumstances are very different. I suspect you're feeling down on yourself or guilty or ashamed, or some other similar feeling, in the way that people that watch the Biggest Loser do. If you're not living at a resort with limited food options and tons of exercise equipment and motivators, don't expect yourself to lose what the people on tv lose. If you still have a fully functioning stomach, don't expect to lose what they do.

Take pride in what you do and be kind to yourself; you'll find yourself less irritated by the ways of others.

Without knowing her reasons, it's impossible to know why his mom parks in that spot, but people can take a very long time to change something that's habitual, whether that's a behavior or a way of seeing themselves. My guess is that someone who needed the surgery may not be as confident in her weight loss abilities as she may appear.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Not rage...irritation. She had the surgery - - now weighs 169 lbs and is still using her handicap parking plackard. She is perfectly mobile. My best friend who had the surgery is constantly saying how "fat" she is (even though she weighs like 150 somethin), and says things like if she wore a size 24 again she'd kill herself (knowing that I wore that size a few months ago). The surgery doesn't fix the issues and it irritates me when my weight loss is overshadowed by theirs because they're losing ten lbs a week compared to my 2 lbs a week. It being my boyfriend's family makes it harder because I feel like I can't talk to him about without making him angry.

yes, be mad that she uses a handicap parkign space when she doesn tneed one... thats fine, i would feel the same...

but i think the actual reason you're mad is that no one is patting you on the head and saying well done for your weight loss... but you know what? if you're doing it just to get the attention, you're doing it all wrong!

you should be proud of your achievements, and how hard you work... anyone else, doesnt matter....
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Just go on with your own loss at your own rate.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Stop being concerned with what other people do/have done.

^
    ^
    This

I don't personally know the people you are describing, but I do know others who have had weight loss surgery. Yes, it would be better if they lost weight without surgery, but for many of them, they come to the decision to have surgery after trying unsuccessfully to lose weight without it for years and years.

I also know a person who had surgery, AND went to the gym and worked out daily while the weight was coming off.

As for parking spaces, etc. Yeah, it would make more sense to take the extra steps to the gym door, but what does it matter right now? At least she is AT the gym. Maybe she shouldn't have her placard anymore... but for whatever reason it hasn't been taken away so you can't STOP her from using it, even if you feel she should stop.

Both of them are older than you, they have been overweight longer, their bodies have born the burden of extra weight longer and they probably suffer a lot of pains and joint problems you haven't experienced yet, all of that makes it more difficult for them to lose weight by conventional means (not impossible, just harder).

So basically, I guess I am saying don't judge. You do your thing, set the example of losing weight without surgery... but why not be accepting and supporting of them where they are. Its not like they can go back and un-have the surgery. So support them where they are.
  • PAWeissenstein
    PAWeissenstein Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Listen - everyone's journey is different. Your boyfriend's mother may have some conditions that still justify her using the handicap spot even at the gym. It may also be force of habit. For some gastric bypass and other weight loss surgeries are the only way they can lose weight. However they also have to embrace that along with the counseling (usually at least a year's worth) that goes with it and the lifetime follow-ups. I know several people who have had it and some have done well while others look like the walking dead. One person I know actually gained weight and claims "it didn't work." Of course maybe it didn't work because she still eats the wrong foods and way too much of them - such as cookies, cakes, etc. When I asked her if they didn't tell her to stop that she said yes but they just taste too good to give up.

Losing weight and keeping it off is a lifetime commitment/job and we all know that but knowing and doing are two different things. You boyfriend's Dad's comments may seem hurtful but they probably aren't meant to be. He probably views weight loss as a competition and has a need to "win." Let him enjoy himself. Most weight loss surgery people lose a lot of weight at first and then hit a plateau that is worse than what the rest of us hit. Then comes the hard part.

The other thing to remember is that losing weight is a journey that you all are on. You each are taking a different road to achieve the same end goal. You could ask them if you could attend some of their counseling and/or support group meetings with them to encourage their goals. Who knows - you might gain some major insight into them.

Be supportive and in the back of your mind keep remembering the story of The Tortoise and the Hare. In the end they both crossed the finish line - and that really is all that mattered - not who got there first or who worked the hardest.
  • TwoPointZero
    TwoPointZero Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    It's not jealousy...I have no idea what it is that makes me think these things or feel this way. I've been dealing with these types of issues for years, ever since my best friend had the surgery. Is there a way to be happy for these people and their weight loss when I'm actually working really hard and putting in a huge effort to lose mine?

It sounds more like frustration about the behavior of people you genuinely care about . . . I would tell you to be happy that you have the prescience to loose weight the "right" way, and don't worry about other people's crazy schemes. :)

Cheers.
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion on the parking conundrum. Would you feel comfortable issuing a "challenge"? For instance, "Let's get our warmup started early by walking further each day into the gym! First person to walk from the back of the lot to the gym without being winded wins."

It sounds corny even when I type it out, but maybe an offer of a mani/pedi to the winner to sweeten the pot. You could even say, "Could you let me out further to the back of the lot? I think I'll walk to get warmed up." Maybe before you know it, she'll be parking and walking with you. Especially if you highlight how wonderful that brisk walk was in easing your workout!

I sense your frustration and feeling overshadowed. Just remember it's new for them to lose weight and they are just excited about their success to date. There will be a day when all of you will be able to stand around saying, "Remember when I was so much larger?"

Hang in there and keep fighting the good fight. You're doing wonderfully!
  • gdrmuzak
    gdrmuzak Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    What you're feeling is normal…you're working hard and they're not. It doesn't seem fair BUT you will have better and healthier results in the long run so keep your eye on the prize!!! I know people around here who had the surgery, and as others have said, they've ballooned back to their pre surgery weight because they didn't take care of the problem…THEMSELVES. You are taking care of the problem…YOU. My goal is/was to lose 75 pounds in three years (25/25/25). By the end, I'll have learned what will work and what won't, by the end, I'll have learned to maintain my weight at a little higher calorie count that what I'm doing. My food awareness is SO MUCH different that it was 18 months ago and so will yours!

My FREE thoughts:

1) Ignore their comments & activity; it's not your business or responsibility and you CANNOT do anything about it.
    2) Slow and steady!!! In the long run, lifestyle change wins every time and you will not have the health complications they will do to themselves and their surgeries.
    3) You're goal is to win for yourself, not for others, so comparisons aren't fair.
    4) YOU ARE accomplishing something through discipline and hard work; those character qualities will permeate everything else you do in life so welcome it and adapt and learn.

Keep it up!!!
  • lolagurlx0x0
    lolagurlx0x0 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    1. Then don't do it.
    2. I have had Gastric Bypass- You don't lose 10 lbs in a week doing nothing lmao, even with your insides rearranged. But he's a jack wagon for trying to outshine your accomplishment.
    3. I have had no problems with my hair. I take 1 multivitamin, and If I wanted long hair- I would have it- My hair grew 3 freaking inches last month. Things I hate?? Paying 30+ dollars for a hair cut- and having it grow out super fast. Dumb!
    4. Ask her why she parks in the handicap spot. If it bothers you- say it jokingly- but say "Why cant you walk?" Or just get over it. You are resenting them not out of jealousy- but because you feel they have it easier than you do.

These are really what I call Non issues. None of them are actually your problem. You obviously are doing great without the surgery, and you obviously don't want it, so why are you posting all this stuff against it? Resentment. Let. It. Go. Resentment is poison.
  • Poofy_Goodness
    Poofy_Goodness Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I understand your irritation, I swear I do but stop giving that much energy to something / someone that make no difference in your life. Time to let it go....they are doing the best they can do for their own life and their own circumstances.

Be happy for others people even if it is not the choice you would make for yourself.

It is not worth the energy.

Good luck

This
  • JohnnyOrlando
    Options
    My doctor told me that I had to have surgery. I told her no. Nothing against others who have done it, but I want the satisfaction of doing it myself. In addition, if you don't solve the problems that got you to the point we are at, we will be there again.

My self esteem is damaged by being obese. It is all about being out of control. To me, surgery is giving up and making someone else responsible for you,

To me, all that surgery does is gets you is a mulligan. If you don't practice, all the mulligans in the world won't help.

Also, the complications and side affects are not minor and should not be taken lightly.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's important for you to focus on your journey and let them do it their way. I think most of us here can agree that things that worked for others haven't worked for us. Likewise, if you are able to lose weight the natural way, consider yourself lucky. If your BF's parents need surgery for that, be happy for them that they went through with it. That in itself is also an accomplishment. Don't get me wrong, I totally agree that doing it naturally is the right way. If it makes it any easier (I know this will sound cruel), what they're not telling you is about all the heartburn, vomiting and other issues they're going through. I know several people that have had surgery and I've seen the effects. You definitely don't get that extremely satisfying feeling one gets when controlling their calories and finishing the day under the goal.

Regarding the parking spot, consider it a bad habit that's hard to overcome. Apart from eating bad, being overweight cause many bad habits. Just think of it as one more habit that she will eventually break out of.
  • tlsegar
    tlsegar Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I can guarantee you there is nothing easy about weight loss surgery. I had lapband in 2011. I have to work just as hard as everyone else to lose weight. That means staying within calorie limits and incorporating regular exercise. There are ways to get around the band or the sleeve or the bypass.

I'm always amazed at how judegmental people are against those who have had weight loss surgery. It reminds me that people will find any way they can to make themselves feel better or superior over other people.

At the end of the day, you have to live your own life. And I suspect you'll be a lot happier with less stress when you stop focusing on others. Your accomplishments are your accomplishments. What someone else is doing doesn't have anything to do with your success. If you want to lose weight, then do it for yourself. Not everyone is going to pat you on the back every time you lose a pound. And your motiviation to keep losing shouldn't come from potential recognition from others. Your motivation should come from you wanting to change. There will always be someone having a better weightloss week than you whether they had surgery or not. That doesn't diminish the value of your accomplishment. Focus on you.