So overwhelmed.

Options

Replies

• rslcarson
    rslcarson Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi, Have you tried swimming? Being submerged in water takes all the weight off your body. If you can't swim lessons would be a good way to introduce a small amount of activity. Even though walking is painful now as you start to lose a little weight it will become easier. I would recommend joint supplements as well.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    The more you have to lose, the greater role diet can play in getting you there. Figure out your energy needs and then cut it by 500-1000 calories. Find your Basal Metabolic Rate and dont eat less than that- its the number your body needs just to be in a coma. At the very least start practicing eating at or below your maintenance level. I.e. Stop eating to gain. Thats your starting place. Even smaller deficits will make a difference over time!!! One bad day NEVER equals another. Shake it off and move on.

As for exercise. There are seated exercises you can do. Try walking as much as you can, even in small bursts. It should get easier as you lose lbs. And fidget. There is research out there that shows that one difference between overweight and thin people is that thin people fidget more. I read that a long time ago so Im sure its obsolete but its always stuck with me. When I catch myself sitting still I try to keep my feet moving or flexing. A snowflake is a small fragile thing, but get enough of them and you have an avalanche. Little increases in your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) is going to get you where you need to be.

Take up swimming? Its another great low impact resistance activity. Even walking from one side of the pool to the other in water waist or chest deep water is going to help your body burn calories. :smile:

Good luck!
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Like everyone said: one step at a time. You don't have to do everything at once, and you are not alone.
  • captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Walking is definitely good. I lost my weight by walking a bunch (between 10k and 15k steps a day) and managing my calorie intake religiously. The scale became my best friend. I don't go to the gym, I don't currently lift (that will be changing in both regards as I move into my next phase) and outside of walking I only have a few sporadic activities I would call exercise.

The biggest thing is you have to decide this is what you are going to do and then don't let anything sway you. That cookie in the cupboard is just there to taunt you, ignore it. People who empty their cupboards because they can't avoid the cookie are not as likely to be successful as those who can ignore the temptation, because you can't block out all temptations, you must build the will to skip them when they don't fit inside your plan, and indulge when you can.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I completely understand about feeling overwhelmed. Because of this...SMALL goals are your friend.

I think it is a great sign that you look toward being a size 12 or 16. I honestly think some women who are much larger to start with sabotage themselves by aspiring to a size 2, 4, 6...just my opinion. I know everyone is motivated in a different way, but for me the small goals were the best.

At my heaviest I was 307 lb. Right now I'm at 201 lb. I didn't get there overnight. It has taken almost 5 years. However, MFP and logging my food *really* sped up my progress. I've lost 61 lb in under 10 months. The rest of my weight took much longer to lose.

I would recommend walking as much as you possibly can for "starter" exercise. I found that I was more excited and challenged by walking x number of miles per day (4-5 evenings per week, but of course you could do 6-7 days per week) than walking for a set amount of time daily. Perhaps setting a goal of 20-30 pounds to lose would be a good place to start. Then up that goal to 40-50 lb.

You can get there, just do not allow outside factors to overwhelm you. I understand it can be difficult to eat healthy when you live with people whose habits aren't the healthiest. But you can lose weight eating almost anything, as long as you keep a calorie deficit. I believe in the MFP set guidelines, they have served me well. One thing to avoid is eating LESS than MFP suggests for whatever amount you want to lose. I find that when I eat almost EXACTLY the MFP-guided calories, I lose more weight.

My best to you!!

You've gotten some really good advice, but this expresses my sentiments exactly. Nicely done, Seltzermint!

Aw thanks!!
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Exercise machines have weight limits that I probably surpass and walking absolutely kills my knees and legs

Obviously all machines are different but I looked up the specs for a LifeFitness elliptical trainer (these have been at every gym I've been a member of) and they're rated for 350lbs. For treadmills it seems to be 400lbs. As far as pain goes all I can say is that that just comes with the territory. Obviously if it's too much it's too much but I think sometimes people mistake (perhaps even on purpose) aches or a little discomfort as enough pain to justify not putting forth an effort. I'm sorry to say no matter what level you're at exercise should always be somewhat of a strain. That's why you do it. I say that only because I've been there myself. I hope you can get to where you need to be to feel comfortable pushing yourself. Good luck!
  • thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Everyone here has given great advice. My only advice is to take it one day at a time and don't be hard on yourself. If you "fall off the wagon" don't give up, realize you can get back on and start over. I also agree with small goals so things don't seem so overwhelming.

If walking truly is too painful I'd recommend water aerobics or any other water activity. There's always "something" you can do one way or another. The fact is the majority of your weight will come off with diet, but exercise is important because that's a big part of what makes you fit and healthy.

Good luck and keep plugging along. You are not alone!
  • lilacghost
    lilacghost Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I remeber when i ws very large and every part of my body ached carrying that extra weight.

I started by walking. At first I couldnt even do a mile. My back and hips hurt so bad after that first walk i contemplated not doing it again. But i kept at it. Within 8 months I was down 80+ lbs and hiking my dog 4 - 7 miles a day.

My body aches have gone away.

I am no DR but if i were your best friend I would tell you to stop making excuses. Take an asprin and start walking, even if it is a half a mile or five minutes. You just need to START. No excuses.

You say your comfortable with your size? I say you shouldnt be. The only way u should be is if it is not causing problems, but it is, you are in physical pain because of the added weight.

Please talk to your doctor about what diet is best for you. S/he can also reccomend an excersize regime that you can do and work on.

Good luck!

I think this is silly. You're not going to get anywhere (or, at least I'm not) by hating yourself. When I spent my time hating myself, I was much more depressed and anxious and socially messed up. I'd let people treat me horribly and just take it because I felt I deserved it. I was uncomfortable with myself, hated myself, would obsess over it and guess what? I remained fat! I've actually lost weight since my body acceptance journey began. And yes, my aches and pains have definitely increased since becoming heavier but I've had hip and sciatic pain since I was 13 and weighed 118 pounds.

Anyway, I think there's some good advice here but "stop being comfortable with yourself" isn't very nice. :(
  • owena535
    owena535 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I wanted to second the suggestion about swimming. Swimming or walking in the pool are great in so many ways - helps the joints, gets your heart rate up without stressing your body. Some pools have small water weights you can use also. I've done a lot of pool work for rehab and can't recommend it enough (this is coming from someone who is not that keen on gyms). Good luck!
  • Mojoman02
    Mojoman02 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a big pat on the back for just being here and asking!! You will find a lot of support here! As for your family....well if they eat a lot of junk, are they obese and feel unhealthy too? Is that where you want to be 20-30 years from now? It sure doesn't sound like it.
    I would experiment with cooking in the kitchen. Find a few easy recipes, inexpensive ingredients. I think you will be surprised at what you can make!
    And I agree with others.....concentrate on the food now...worry about exercise until you are comfortable and not in pain.
    You CAN do this!! Hugs!!
  • lilacghost
    Options
    Swimming is actually amazing. I really should do that more often. :)
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I was your size last May. Now I'm a 16.

Swimming...or even just walking in water, is easy on the knees...bikes are good too. I doubt you are over the weight limit on most machines...certainly not at a gym. If you are buying a machine though, I would check it.

Really though, 80-90% of losing weight for me was diet. Exercise just helps my depression and gives me something to do besides eat. And I enjoy seeing how much more I can do now than I could when I started.

You might reconsider weighing yourself though. It's only the first time that it is bad. After that it gets to be pretty reinforcing. The problem with just going with size and clothing fit is that it takes a LONG time to lose that first size. I think I lost 40 + pounds before I really needed a new size. The more you lose, the faster the sizes go down. But if I didn't see the numbers going down, I think I'd have given up before losing a size.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like.
  • 2dogzrule
    2dogzrule Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    How about stretching and starting out home with small weights? Maybe try small walks until you are comfortable walking. If you have a Playstation or something similar that is interactive, you can burn quite a few calories on some of the games. It would be helpful in getting your body used to moving.
  • lilacghost
    Options
    Give yourself a big pat on the back for just being here and asking!! You will find a lot of support here! As for your family....well if they eat a lot of junk, are they obese and feel unhealthy too? Is that where you want to be 20-30 years from now? It sure doesn't sound like it.
    I would experiment with cooking in the kitchen. Find a few easy recipes, inexpensive ingredients. I think you will be surprised at what you can make!
    And I agree with others.....concentrate on the food now...worry about exercise until you are comfortable and not in pain.
    You CAN do this!! Hugs!!

They're actually in good shape, my brother is in great shape. None of us share genetics though (brother and I are both adopted), I lucked out on genetics! :bigsmile:

Surprisingly though my blood counts/blood pressure, etc are perfect. They're all skinny but all my stats are better, lol.
  • debbieslastdiet
    Options
    At my local pool they have an aquacise class and pretty much all the girls that get in there are overweight and trying to get fit. They are a really friendly bunch and seem to have a ' all in this together' mentality ( we used to chat as I plowed my way up and down the lanes last year). It's a great way to exercise safely and you get to spend time with like minded people.

Deb
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    The journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step.

If you are overwhelmed at the moment, please try to focus on diet. After you drop some weight you will find it easier to exercise.

I started out by walking 2 miles a day, then to 3 then to 5 then started running. The single most important thing I did to get where I am is not give up. If I made a bad decision, I started all over again with my very next good choice.

You can do this.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,000 Member
    Options
    I can so relate when I started mfp in july 2010 I felt losing 100+lbs was overwhelming and impossible. So I decided I would try to just lose 10lbs at a time for every 10lbs I lost I bought myself a new pair of earrings. I did swimming or walking everyday sometimes only for 5mins. Now I have lost 115 lbs .you can do it, baby steps one day at a time
  • TheWretchedFat
    TheWretchedFat Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I know how it feels when your family doesn't support your weight loss journey :/ I constantly get comments on how I should 'stop losing weight' or 'stop eating rabbit food' lol

Weight loss can be overwhelming at first. Just start of small by eating smaller portions and do as much exercise as you can with inflicting pain. It seems hard at first, but it will get easier as time goes on :flowerforyou:
  • youtubeworkouter
    youtubeworkouter Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The lack of knowing how to make healthy foods sounds like me. When I was younger my parents were too busy to make any meals at all, so I would just eat ramen noodles and fast food. I only didn't gain weight back then because I loved to walk and dance with friends. Fast forward to getting married and I had learn to cook fast because the recession hit and eating out is too expensive. At first everything I made was fried or boxed. Add some pounds. Husband has a soda addiction, I start drinking two a day. add more pounds. have two kids. add more pounds. six months ago I was 215lbs snugly fitting in a size 18. I am now around 160lbs. I became friends with the crock pot and any easy recipe I can find online or in cook books. I love steam in bag vegetables. Now I'm a good cook and get asked recipes all the time, but that took years of practice. Patience is hard to come by, but you'll improve in time. When I started all I did was change my diet for the first month. The less sugar filled, less processed food made me have more energy. I realized and still do, it is easier to walk in the house (if you have room), outside ground is not level and therefore harder on my joints. Even now my right rib cage hurts when I workout. working out isn't easy, but you have to eat less if you don't workout and working out is good for your cardiovascular health. When you get down on yourself, just come back to these lovely people :) Keep up the good work everyone!
  • train_01
    train_01 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I started my exercises in the pool doing laps and water fit classes. I found that the easiest on my poor feet and knees. After awhile of doing that, I was in much better shape to hit the treadmill or eliptical. Even just walking in the pool back and forth is a very good workout (i'd recommend getting some swimming shoes if you are going to do that or water fit, otherwise it's pretty hard on the tootsies). Good luck and hope it helps!