Beginning running

Options
I have recently started my exercise routine and would like to add running/jogging to my workout. I currently walk 30-45 min 3-5 days a week. I have tried running before but I get shin splints and a stitch in my sides so I get discouraged and don't continue. What do I need to do to start correctly and safely.

Replies

• princesspurple
    Options
    Good for you! You really need good running sneakers, not cross trainers...just running shoes. you can go on to runnersworld.com and there is a lot of info there....start slowly, too much mileage too fast and your shins will not be thanking you:)
    A lot of people do the couch25k program..i did something similar but you can look at hal higdon's info as well.....
    I started running in January-and ran a full marathon last week!:)
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Google the "couch to 5k" program. I've also heard that the "couch to 10k" is a bit more gradual. This is a great program to get a non-runner slowly trained to run a FULL 5K.
    I keep starting, then restarting, but have bad ostioarthritis in my knees so sometimes have to give them a week or two off and then restart again.
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    google couch to five k (c25k), it is an amazing program for running. I am so excited to become a runner and its because of this program. If you have a smartphone you can get an app to make it easier. I downloaded it to my blackberry and it uses and timer and tells you wnen it is time to jog and when it is time to walk. It is fantastic.

Also make sure that you get GOOD running shoes. I just bought new ones, and it makes such a huge difference. Friend me if you want and we can push each other and help each other out to begin and continue running. Good luck!!
  • lukasmac
    lukasmac Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I can attest to couch 2 5k... it does work but don't be afraid to repeat a week over if you are struggling to raise it the next level. Go at your pace.
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    First, you need to get proper running shoes. Try to find a place that will analyze your stride. Then, I would suggest starting with intervals. Get a timer/stop watch that beeps. Start with maybe 30sec. -1 min. intervals. So, you would walk for 30sec-1 min. and then jog for 30sec-1 min. Do this for at least 30 min. It trains your body to have faster recovery and it is easier mentally too. When you get that rest (walking) you can think -- 30 sec. -- I can do anything for 30 sec.

After your body gets used to that you can up the running time (For example, run for 2 min. and then walk for 1 min. etc.). Another way to intensify your work-out while you progress is to add some hills for higher intensity.

I hope these suggestions help. Keep at it! :happy:
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    Make sure you stretch properly (about 5 min at least prior to starting to run/walk). The cramps in you side are likely from eating too soon before exercising or from a lack of electrolytes. I never eat with in 2.5 hours of a work out and drinking water helps with balancing electrolytes. The amount of time that you are currently walking is such a great start! When I first started running I would run for 2 min then walk for 1 and repeat until I reached the amount of time I normally walked for (with a warm up and cool down). If that seems to easy increase the run time and eventually decrease walk time. The reason you are likely getting shin splints is that you are running too fast or too long before your body is ready for this. Just take it slow and listen to your body! Good luck and remember you CAN do it!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    Good running shoes are a MUST.

Mizuno wave creations are my favorite (I have high arches and a narrow foot)

...ive got 4 pairs in my closet :-) its a sick obsession
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I have recently started my exercise routine and would like to add running/jogging to my workout. I currently walk 30-45 min 3-5 days a week. I have tried running before but I get shin splints and a stitch in my sides so I get discouraged and don't continue. What do I need to do to start correctly and safely.

Avoid hard pavements, it is the concrete and the continual pounding down that sends shock waves up the legs and the shins get the brunt of it all. Good insoles in your trainers - I use Sorbothane insoles that take at least 80% of the shock away - will help a great deal.

If you are able to run on grass, sand or dirt tracks, that will help no end, especially grass!

I will tell you now, that when I had shin splints years ago, it was extremely painful, I started to jog (very gingerly, because it was agony) on grass and within a few training sessions, my shins were back to normal.

You cannot train through shin splints either, they just get worse, the soreness is awful.

Good luck and I hope you find a way to enjoy your running, it is such a wonderful calorie burner!
  • the_other_kitkat
    Options
    I haven't had the side stitch issue but I do tend to get shin splints super easily, sometimes even from walking a lot. In the case of walking the answer turned out to be that I needed to buy new shoes more often. Shin splints from running was a lot more difficult for me to solve. I attempted C25k last spring and couldn't make it past week 2 day 1 because of my shins. I knew I wanted to try again so I gave them a good long rest and then used the power of google to read up on shin splints. One theory I came across was that weak calf muscles can be a cause. I do strength training and do squats and deadlifts for my legs, but since neither of those things target calves specifically I began doing bodyweight calf lifts 3x a week. I stood on the edge of a step or something like that, with my weight on the balls of my feet and my heels sticking over the edge, and my hand on a wall for balance. I would slowly raise myself up and hold it for a few seconds, then I would slowly lower myself 'til my heels were below the step for the reverse stretch, and I would hold that for a few seconds. I'd do 25 of these.

The other thing I did was pay attention to the way I landed when I ran. I suspect that this was more important than my stretches, but I can't know for sure. The theory is, that landing on your heels causes shin splints. I learned to land on my midfoot with my heel softly touching down right after. Many running shoes have thick, beefy, somewhat raised heels, and are a bit stiff, which all encourage landing on the heel. I looked for something flexible and with a lowish heel that would encourage, or at least not inhibit, midfoot landing, and I wound up with a pair of Nike Free Runs which I love.

Weather is was the shoes, the stretches, they way I land, or all three, I am now about to start C25k week 9 tomorrow! For me it took a lot of patience and experimentation to overcome my problem with shin splints, but it can be done. I hope this helps. :)
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    If you are able to run on grass, sand or dirt tracks, that will help no end, especially grass!

Grass, really? Do others agree with this? I figured b/c it was softer it wasn't a good idea (not enough support) but if others agree I'll try it, it just means running one foot to the left of the sidewalk for me so that sounds good.

I walked 30 minutes today on lunch most of it was on grass b/c I was with 2 other girls so walking 3-wide kind of pushed me over but it was comfy, I’ll give you that. Weird how I never thought of that before, I just knew the road was rough and a treadmill took the impact better.
  • dlee60
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Seems like the C25K is popular so will look into that. And will definitely get new shoes. I will take everyones advise and see what happens. Wish me luck!
  • princesspurple
    Options

Grass, really? Do others agree with this? I figured b/c it was softer it wasn't a good idea (not enough support) but if others agree I'll try it, it just means running one foot to the left of the sidewalk for me so that sounds good.

I walked 30 minutes today on lunch most of it was on grass b/c I was with 2 other girls so walking 3-wide kind of pushed me over but it was comfy, I’ll give you that. Weird how I never thought of that before, I just knew the road was rough and a treadmill took the impact better.

Hi....if you have a chance to run on grass...do it..I did during my training and it took some impact off my legs. I know running on the sidewalks are worse than the street because the cement is harder than the pavement.....
    Personally, as for the treadmill....the way I run on that for some reason, my shins kill me! I don't like the treadmill:huh:

I am dying to run again:)
  • dlee60
    Options
    Where do I get the app to download to my blackberry?
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    after you buy the running shoes, get a quality pair of insoles for women at a sports store.
  • zeteticgamin
    Options
    I've just started back at running again - I cannot recommend the Podrunner first day to 5k podcast series highly enough! It's a 12 week couch to 5k series that is all music - faster beats for running, slower for walking. So easy - you just put on the headphones and go! (just google Podrunner or go to iTunes).

I also recommend lots and lots of stretching. I stretched as long as I ran in the first weeks! I do light warm-up stretches, long post-run stretches and lots of yoga in between. Helps with soreness (including shin splints) and keeps you from getting tight & uncomfortable.

Runner's World online has tons of good stretches and hints for new runners, too.
  • tristalin
    tristalin Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking of starting couch to 5k as well, so all of this information is awesome!
  • plfarrmore
    Options
    Try "Chi" running. This is an excellent technique for beginning runners. I started running in Feb 2010, and ran my first 5K in May 2010. I'm a big girl and would have never thought that I would ever become a runner. From day 1, I never had any pain. I also made sure to get fitted for proper running shoes with good suport and a sports bra. Whether you have large or small breast, I recommend the Fiona moving comfort bra. It has adjustable straps and minimizes moment without crushing. I personnally have not experienced shin splints but it is likely that you are landing improperly on your feet while running. "Chi" running is an excellent technique and I think it will help you with your running technique.
  • theresnoeggs
    theresnoeggs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    ITA w C25K! 6 weeks ago, I couldn't even jog 30 seconds w/o gasping, and in more pain than I could tolerate. Yesterday I ran 20 minutes straight. It was a slow jog but I did it!

I start W6 tomorrow or Wednesday :D

The "couch to 5K running plan" on FB is GREAT inspiration!
  • theresnoeggs
    theresnoeggs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    ITA w C25K! 6 weeks ago, I couldn't even jog 30 seconds w/o gasping, and in more pain than I could tolerate. Yesterday I ran 20 minutes straight. It was a slow jog but I did it!

I start W6 tomorrow or Wednesday :D

The "couch to 5K running plan" on FB is GREAT inspiration!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Get Polysorb insoles.