Need lots of advice and tips

Options
Okay, so I just started this whole "low carb" thing but I'm kind of going with my own thing. I'm not following Atkins or anything else, just trying to stay under goals, including carbs and calories.

My first question is, when you are first starting, how do you remember to keep track of everything you eat? Sometimes I'm on the run so I don't have time to write it down, and by the time I remember, I can't remember exactly everything I ate (especially if someone else cooked it). I also tend to forget even if I do have time.

Also, how do you reward yourself? I feel that if I reward myself with each goal (my first goal is 12 lbs) then I am going to be more motivated to eat better and exercise. But I don't want to do something that will ruin it by "cheating" for a day, or even spend a lot of money (I have an extremely tight budget).

Thanks for the help,
Liz :)

Replies

• arigateau
    Options
    I often remember only at the end of the day to log in foods, so need to estimate. I try to be honest about it but there are times where you can't weigh out portions or don't know what the calorie content of something is (picture getting your kitchen scales out at a restaurant!). I think that's something that the more experience you have with making healthier choices, the more you just 'know' when you're getting the right foods and a blanced diet. That's my hope anyway! It's also important to get the right balance between being aware of what you eat and not living your life via calorie-counting. You can also download the myfitnessapp to your phone so that you can quickly log things at the time when you're out and about.

As for rewards, the best reward is how you feel after a good day and then a few months down the line when you realise how far you've come. I'd agree with you that having a 'cheat' day wouldn't help because then you see the healthy lifestyle only as a means to reward yourself with 'bad' food. I too have a tight budget and so try to find cheap or free ways to reward myself. It could just be something very small but the fact remains that you earned that small thing, e.g. a song from iTunes, rent a DVD, nice hair accessory. (I'm a knitting fiend so I like to buy yarn/needles as a treat.) Alternatively, every milestone you achieve you could put some money aside for something big, like a dress or some perfume.
  • brandi712
    brandi712 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I downloaded the app to my phone so I can still log as I eat. I make the time to do it right then and there so never forget.
  • asaffell
    asaffell Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Do you have the ability to get the app? The more consistent you are in tracking and planning, the more success you'll have!
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Some people just need to get out of their own way.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I use the phone app. Or else I write it down somewhere and log it later.

I use things like manicures, facials, a night out at the theatre etc as rewards. Not food things.
  • jcrawford2780
    Options
    Hi Liz!!!! I struggled at first too, but once I made it priority to know what was going in my mouth, it made it easier to track. It also helped me consume fewer calories, I would think to myself, "Do you really want to write that down?" It kept me honest and helped me see what I was eating and how it was affecting my body. I have a few tips for you to help keep you on-track.
    1. Prepare your food in advance, the night before or the morning of. I usually buy snacks in bulk and prepackage them because I am always on the go!!!
    2. Measure everything until you get a good idea of what a cup or gram or oz of whatever food you plan on consuming looks like.
    3. Sometimes I track food I know I am going to eat for the next day before I actually eat it. It's like having a menu for the day, it also takes food off of my mind (most of the time... LOL) because I already know what I am going to eat, and I don't have to worry about it.
    4. Set a reminder on your phone, or watch, or other device that will help remind you to track your food until it becomes second nature.
    5. Don't just track what you eat, track how it makes you feel afterwards. If you feel bloated or lethargic after, that's important. There is a "food notes" tool on MFP that will help you to keep a better record of how the food you eat makes you feel, that way you know what to avoid and what to indulge in.

To reward myself I plan on buying a new outfit and having some nice pictures of myself taken, ones that include all of me and not just my face. For short term goals, I like to go to the movies or plan a bath or manicure, maybe a hair appointment. Trying on clothes, but not necessarily buying them is also encouraging. I mean, if you are going to lose even more weight, then why buy new clothes, but it is nice to see the numbers drop on the label too, as well as the scale. Anything that will help me feel good about what I am doing, and the effort I have put into this journey. And trust me, it is a journey.

I hope some of these tips were helpful!!! I know it can be a struggle to undertake such a valiant effort, but it will be worth it. In the end, your body will thank you.
  • 2dogzrule
    2dogzrule Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    If you have an App for your phone it's easy to remember to log when you are making your meals. (If you are on the go, maybe not so easy, but take a picture of what you are eating and log it later. Sometimes meals out are a wild guess - assume the worst for those calories if you don't know how something has been prepared, or make choices that are easier to determine)

I also sometimes log things ahead of time so I can better plan.
  • wrenegade64
    wrenegade64 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    jcrawford2780 is the BOMB! All her points are rock solid! Also, I couldn't agree more about putting the app on your cell phone. It is a good scent AND I LOVE LOVE LOVE the ability to use the app to scan bar codes and input them in your log in a snap (and its fun!) Have your phone out when you are cooking so you can scan the different product labels as you are cooking. I use Quest bars, greek low fat yogurt, and all kinds of stuff alot and the ability to scan them the minute I get ready to open it is AWESOME!!!

YOU GOT THIS....STAY IN TOUCH AND KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE PRIZE!!!
  • Candiedginger
    Candiedginger Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    5. Don't just track what you eat, track how it makes you feel afterwards. If you feel bloated or lethargic after, that's important. There is a "food notes" tool on MFP that will help you to keep a better record of how the food you eat makes you feel, that way you know what to avoid and what to indulge in.

"brilliant"
  • lizjane86
    Options
    This helped so much! Thank you for all your helpful tips and ideas for rewards!!! :) I think this year is going to be awesome if I keep up with what I started last week :)
  • catnorbury
    catnorbury Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi Liz, I think you definitely need to reward yourself which in turns keeps you motivated. I lost 6.5 stone over ten years ago but put 2 stone back on after having my daughter 3 yrs ago so now starting again. i find keeping my hands busy, especially of a night time helps - painting your nails, putting n hand cream etc, brushing your teeth when you are considering something sweet! When i lost my weight years ago i found that finding something i really wanted to wear, in a shop and repeatedly trying it on in the shop without buying, seriously motivated me as you can see results each time, it gets looser, you look better etc. I think you will find as you lose weight that your mind opens up to clothes you would not have considered before too which also boosts your morale. Each day is one step closer to the person you want to become and as hard as it is, try not to look back or berate yourself for any of your choices. Only you are in control of your own destiny and sometimes we do inevitably sabotage ourselves but the rewards help you recognise that you are doing something different to make a change in yourself. Book in activities that lift you up, even if just a walk in your favourite place or trying something new for the first time can make you look at yourself in a different way. Hope you are doing well, I know how hard it can be, but this time next year you could be even more fantastic! X