I wish I could quit food cold-turkey

Options
I wish I could quit food cold-turkey, letting my body burn the excess energy I've stored.

I have this problem with food. The moment I eat it, I want more. And more. And more. The hunger doesn't stop. I wish it would. It never leaves me alone, but sits in the back of my head, nattering at me. Keeping busy, staying loud, can drown it out somewhat, but the moment I must rest, or quietude descends, the voice is still there. Why can't it leave me alone?

I'm fine as long as I don't eat. But the moment something tasty passes my lips, I'm a goner.

Food sings to me. Food is art, is dance. (Junk food's ugly and useless. It's tune is an ugly whine.) Give me some beautiful food, like a nice lean stake, the smoothest of mashed potatoes, the greenest of peas, a medley of salad, a tall, cold glass of milk, a lovely, slow-cooked chicken-breast smothered in fresh tomatoes, a wedge of brie with fresh figs... anything lovely and delightful and delicious. Joy is found in the best of food, albeit fleetingly. That's its deceit.

It doesn't matter when I last ate. I could have been fasting (for religious reasons) all day, or I could have had breakfast an hour ago. Indeed, I can go without food all day and not have any problems. If hunger makes itself known, I tell it to shush, and it shushes. But once I eat even the smallest morsel, the flood gates open and I get no peace. If have have a small portion, it nags at me until I can safely eat again. If I stuff myself until I feel sick, it continues to nag, even though I couldn't possibly fit in another morsel. (Wafer thin!) What does it take to shut it up? I can only mask it for so long before I weary of my efforts. How do you make it go away?

People can quit alcohol, drugs, smoking, bad boyfriends, nearly anything.

But one cannot truly quit food. That is terribly unfair.

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Most of us can unlearn that. Look for books on intuitive eating. I like Mindful Eating by Jan Chosen Bays. Try not to label yourself as 'having a problem'. You're human, we like food, we need food. Stopping eating at a good level is a skill that takes practice.

Also make sure you're eating enough. If you limit too much, your body may torture you with hunger. You can use small deficits to lose weight and then the deprivation feeling is very bearable. If you feel starved, any of us would feel biologically driven to overeat once those 'floodgates' open.

Good luck!
  • scrapsandbones
    scrapsandbones Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've been having a lot of problems with binging lately and have reached out/researched in various forums.

One thing I keep reading about is Overeaters Anonymous, a 12 step program like Alcoholics Anonymous for those with overeating/binging/food addiction issues. I haven't been yet (been busy) but it seems useful and I'm going to give it a go.

From what you've described you'd benefit from it. The meetings are free and they even have online ones. It might be worth looking into.

Best of luck, it's a tough situation
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Rather poetic. Seek counseling, it's a start.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    The most indifferent I ever felt to food was when I was doing low-carb. Kind of an awesome feeling (or lack thereof). It wasn't sustainable for me and I now prefer to deal with some hunger and more choices, but it might be worth a try to see how it affects you. Have you tried testing your blood sugar before/after meals?

If it's not something physical, then distraction/activity might be your best bet.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Ummm I tell my husband this all the time. I can quit drinking when I feel like I'm drinking too frequently. I quit smoking. You can quit drugs. you can quit anything.

But you can't quit eating.

I used to be even more in that mindset that you describe but now I have a healthier approach to it. good luck
  • ingraha
    ingraha Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I love eating and would never wish to quit food....I think its all a matter of balance. Its ok to enjoy eating, just not to allow it to rule us.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    A fit old lady once said to me: Never put anything into your mouth that isn't delicious. Try living by this rule. You eliminate junk and focus on beautiful food, and you get to have your cake and eat it too. For example, store-bought cookies are not that delicious, but a lovely piece of homemade pie is. That's worth it, the Chips Ahoy aren't.