Standing desk - Log in MFP?

Options
I am converting to a standing desk at work and was wondering how I should account for the change. I will be on my feet for 5-7 hours a day, which means I'll be burning an extra 200-300 calories.

I'm looking for advice as to whether I should change my lifestyle settings from sedentary to lightly active, log those extra calories burned as exercise, or not do anything and just be happy with the extra calories burned.

Thanks!

Replies

• Palak1020
    Palak1020 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Bumping for responses
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Change your settings to Lightly Active or Moderately Active. That will add a few more calories on its own. I wouldn't log it as exercise.
  • fitsharon
    fitsharon Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I am also getting a stand up desk, and was wondering the same thing. Thanks for asking the question.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Change your activity level, which will change your calories, but don't log it as exercise.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I recently added this option to my desk at work and I don't really plan to alter my caloric intake because of it. At the end of the day, it's a fairly inconsequential number of calories and at least for me (with roughly 60 pounds left to lose), my body can easily make-up that additional caloric deficit from its "energy reserves." I don't think it would hurt you though to add in a few extra calories/day if you prefer.
  • Palak1020
    Palak1020 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I think I will either change my activity level or leave it as is and not beat myself up if I go slightly over my calories.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I agree with changing your calorie level. It will add maybe 100 calories. Good compromise. And get good shoes. The first weeks are going to suck.
  • girlpaint
    girlpaint Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    For the record I've used a standing desk for over a year at home and almost a year at work -- it's great for your energy, but be sure to invest in an anti-fatigue mat/carpet (your feet, knees, hips and back will thank you).

Calorically-speaking, you will burn a bit more at first, but you'll plateau after you adjust. So I wouldn't necessarily adjust my calorie goals. If you want to find out how many more calories you burn standing vs. sitting, check out www.juststand.org.

One last note: as you use your muscles more, your legs will get bigger/stronger. My calves and thighs are definitely more toned -- what I didn't expect was that I would no longer fit into certain pants or skirts due to the bone-density/muscle gains. Ah well.
  • surferlz
    Options
    I am doing the same. I have been trying it for 3 days, and I definitely feel more energized at work. I am curious to hear about the different of standing desks people use. I need to have the option to sit as well. Right now I have a makeshift thing set up with books, but I am thinking of maybe just getting a laptop stand since I am always on the computer. It is worth it to get one of the expensive ones?
  • lmd_1979
    lmd_1979 Posts: 130
    Options
    Are stand up desks the way forward?
  • DuckieDeb1
    Options
    I just switched to a VARIDESK Pro after reading the Mayo report that "sitting is the new standing" (http://www.mayoclinic.org/sitting/expert-answers/faq-20058005). I didn't have to buy a new desk because the VARIDESK fits right on my desk. It holds my laptop/dock and an oversized monitor and adjusts down to a sitting position and up to stand with very little effort. I also swapped my mouse & keyboard for battery-operated models so I can move them up or down to the right height. On the first day I worked standing about 1/2 day. I hope to increase time standing and broaden my activities. I have ordered a gel mat to help with muscle fatigue. I have a corner workstation, so I have plenty of room. Day 1 was great.
  • VasylP
    VasylP Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am in the midst of converting my regular desk to a standing desk by building a few frames. For those of you have made the transition to a stand-up desk, have you seen an changes? For example, your posture, better overall feeling or anything. I'm going to do this regardless, but it would be nice to hear your experiences!

Thanks in advance,

Bill
    aka Vasyl, William
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Never mind. OLD thread.