Eating too quickly

Options
2»

Replies

• carolstartingover
    carolstartingover Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to chew each bite 20 times . I try to remember it, but it is not easy. My late husband, who died at 48, told me we should stop eating pizza so fast like we did in college or he did. So, we slowed down most of the time. It was ironic and awful that he died choking on toast. Be careful chewing food and talkng on the phone. It's easy for something to go down wrong.
  • Bumblebee3441
    Bumblebee3441 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have this problem, but found that sipping on water while I eat helps a lot. Also pausing during eating my meal helps as well. Hope this helps.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Yep the put down your fork whilst you chew is a good one, it also helps you savour your food a bit, also use chopsticks especially if you aren't very good with them. Oh also don't eat in front of the telly sit down at a table to eat, as the tv distracts you from registering/enjoying your meal so when you finish you end up being disappointed.

I should really practice what I preach though I'm still a scarfer, eat in front of the tv all the time and have got just as good at shoveling with chopsticks as a fork lol, I will try to remember my own and others advise during my next meal ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I'm of no real help here...I'm a total foodie...I enjoy every bite. I'm generally only about 3/4 of the way through my meal while everyone else is clearing the table.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Yep the put down your fork whilst you chew is a good one, it also helps you savour your food a bit, also use chopsticks especially if you aren't very good with them. Oh also don't eat in front of the telly sit down at a table to eat, as the tv distracts you from registering/enjoying your meal so when you finish you end up being disappointed.

I should really practice what I preach though I'm still a scarfer, eat in front of the tv all the time and have got just as good at shoveling with chopsticks as a fork lol, I will try to remember my own and others advise during my next meal ;)

one other thing I've heard is that people should not eat in front of the TV. They don't pay attention to how much they are eating and will consume much more than they would if at a table and undistracted.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. For me, it's helpful just to be conscious of it and drink water with my meals. Also, I only make/serve myself one portion. Before I eat my portion, I'll serve others theirs and pack away the rest (in pre-portioned containers if needed). This way, even if I feel like I'm hungry when I'm done eating, there's nothing more to eat right away. I'll continue drinking water, and if I'm still hungry in an hour, I'll eat more. :)
  • TheWretchedFat
    TheWretchedFat Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I was the same way until I started taking a slip of water between every bite.
  • crevices
    crevices Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    i'll always have this problem, i've had it since i was a kid. it's just the fatty in me that loves food too much to put down my spoon even for a second. as mentioned before, when im actually trying to eat slower i sip water in between bites and feel much fuller in the process.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem - it didn't help that I was eating 6-7 times a day and trying to fit meals in where I only had a few minutes to eat. I make sure to pay attention to my food and how I'm eating. I consciously put my cutlery down between bites, chew properly, savour the flavour and enjoy what I'm eating before swallowing. I try as much as possible to eat in a proper setting - not on the run or driving in the car

It's made me more satisfied - the "full" switch gets turned on, and it's also made a huge difference to my digestion. I stopped drinking so much water with my meals because it was having a negative effect on my digestion.
  • marye2021
    marye2021 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound weird, but one day as a server I had a table full of elderly customers and all ate slowly, and I attributed it to a couple of reasons:
    1. Most of them had great table manners- I.e. they put their forks and knives down between each bite, they also cut up their food into smaller portions (which could also be for choking reasons)
    2. They talked throughout the meal, but never with a utensil in their hand
    3. They chewed slowly (could be because some items were difficult to chew because of age idk)

So now I try to do those sorts of things, also about halfway through my plate I push it away from me and finish my drink and then get a refill or if I'm at a restaurant I will ask for a box and then box it up and drink more water or get a hot tea or coffee