Sweet tooth...please help!!

Options
Hi- Anyone out there got over the sweet tooth or found alternatives?
Please advice how to not go for that sweet treat after a meal!

Thanks in Advance!!

Replies

• rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Sometimes letting yourself have a little after a meal makes it much easier. I try to buy lower calorie ice cream and serve it in a small bowl or mug. Or I make instant pudding with lowfat milk. It helps me with the after meal sweet cravings. If that doesn't work for you, try dried fruit, but watch the serving sizes.
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    ...or...you could plan to have a sweet treat after your meal and just fit it in to your caloric intake. That way your won't feel deprived and then end up binging.....:flowerforyou:
  • suejersey
    suejersey Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    dark chocolate helps to ease the craving much faster than milk chocolate for me. Quest Nutrition bar. Chobani Greek yogurt with light ready whip.
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options

Thanks in Advance!!

By the way love your picture!
  • Lauraplane
    Lauraplane Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I get a sweet tooth bad after lunch and dinner. After lunch I allow myself to have 1 or 2 butterscotch hard candies. They are pretty sweet so they work and only have 20 calories per piece. In the evening I have something like a skinny cow ice cream bar or some cereal. The Chocolate Almond Special K cereal is yummy. A Dannon Light and Fit Greek Yogurt satisfies my sweet tooth too and they are only 80 calories.
  • JulieGirl58
    JulieGirl58 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have such a sweet tooth it is unreal. I plan my treats right into my calories. I can't go without them.
  • zombiemomjo
    zombiemomjo Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    What I would suggest depends on how you are changing your diet? Low carb? When I did that, I would have ricotta cheese with some cocoa mixed in. Eating fewer processed foods limits what you can do, but I like the little 90 calorie chocolate cakes by Weight Watchers. They hit the spot! There are also lots of Skinny Cow options for frozen treats--mini drumsticks, ice cream sandwiches. The key is to not totally deprive yourself of these treats or the cravings could drive you into a binge! I just try to keep my sweet treats to less than 100 calories when I need them. Then I don't feel like shoving my face into an entire cheesecake. I've also been pinning away on Pinterest for healthy alternatives to some of my favorite snacks. Hope this helps!
  • Slinky_BraveHeartBunsOfSteel
    Options
    ...or...you could plan to have a sweet treat after your meal and just fit it in to your caloric intake. That way your won't feel deprived and then end up binging.....:flowerforyou:

Exactly! You can get low calorie hot chocolate at 40 cals per cup, or small chocolate bars at 100 cals each. Weight Watchers desserts are also good and are usually under 200 cals!
  • anewlife1980
    anewlife1980 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I CRAVE choc, its alot better now & for months it was pretty well gone except for ToM but since I allowed myself some stuff over the holidays that I normally wouldn't that meant some of my cravings returned. However from day 1 I had to find alternatives because I wasn't about to waste 300 calories on one choc bar. So I have a mug of hot choc with my bfast every morning, that pretty well gets me through the entire day without cravings. If my last snack of the day comes around & I want just a little choc, I have thinsations oreos. I needed stuff that was low cal but "real" chocolate. I don't do artificial or dark choc, that just ain't cutting it. When its ToM & my choc craving is REALLY bad (usually one day per cycle) I eat a half a tablespoon of milk choc frosting. Its well worth the 70 calories & since its not a regular craving I don't mind the indulgence. To be healthy you don't have to 100% deprive yourself, you just have to find ways around it!
  • sue_langley
    sue_langley Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I was a sugarholic. Saved calories for sweets and not regular meals type of sugarholic. I just could not shake those craving if my life depended on it. I started making a green smoothie with1 cup spinach, half apple, half packet stevia, 2 cups water and ice three times a day, now I'm up to even more as my body craves it now. After 1 week I lost all sugar cravings, I mean gone. I was so shocked, I have it in the house and don't want it. I changed my sugar goal to 25 grams a day and stick to it. Try it, my other friends did and they experienced the same thing. Use your blender, nothing special. Costco has prewashed spinach ready to go and use organic apples they taste real good not chemically tasting.
  • GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    When I want something sweet (okay, maybe this is more sour than sweet) or just something to eat that is in addition to my calorie allowance, I suck on/chomp on Icebreakers Sours. The are very flavorful. The packaging says they contain two calories per candy. Warning: Too many leads to stomach upset (diarrhea/bloat).
  • itsHealthy
    itsHealthy Posts: 119 Member
    Options

Thanks in Advance!!

By the way love your picture!

Thank you for the tip!! And, that's not my pic :)
  • itsHealthy
    Options
  • itsHealthy
    Options
    I was a sugarholic. Saved calories for sweets and not regular meals type of sugarholic. I just could not shake those craving if my life depended on it. I started making a green smoothie with1 cup spinach, half apple, half packet stevia, 2 cups water and ice three times a day, now I'm up to even more as my body craves it now. After 1 week I lost all sugar cravings, I mean gone. I was so shocked, I have it in the house and don't want it. I changed my sugar goal to 25 grams a day and stick to it. Try it, my other friends did and they experienced the same thing. Use your blender, nothing special. Costco has prewashed spinach ready to go and use organic apples they taste real good not chemically tasting.

This..I never heard of, thanks for the recipe! Definitely trying it!
  • Brad592
    Brad592 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Sugar is addictive. I was addicted as are many other people.
    I gave it up and it was hard work but after I while the cravings stop and you just don't feel like it any more.
    It is a far better feeling to not eat it that to eat it. Once you have been to the other side you will know what I mean!
  • momtastic2014
    Options
    Frozen banana and 1/4c. Unsweet vanilla almond milk
    Put in food processor and it will make thick and creamy icecream.
    I find it kills my craving and can get pretty interesting...
    Add something like peanut butter, almonds, pecans, cocoa, ect..

Or try air popped no salt no butter popcorn with a spoon of chocolate chips mixed in.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I eat something (or two or three somethings) sweet pretty much every day. I just work it into my goals.

On Sundays though, I tend to be lax and not care so much about my macros. Kinda like a cheat day, but I try to not go over my calories. Rather I'll eat lots of carby goodness...lots of treat, make pancakes, go out to a restaurant, things like that. It's indulging without undoing anything. So if I'm really craving something crazy, I'll try to wait until Sunday to have it so that I reach my goals easier during the week.
  • thefatveganchef
    thefatveganchef Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I will pick up a few of those little dark chocolate squares at the health food store check out isle. They are only 50 cals a piece and helps fill that chocolate and sweet tooth need.
  • Rosieannaxo
    Options
    Just picked up some Arctic Zero ice cream, it's delicious. Some people hate it but I think it's pretty great. For a whole pint, it's 150 calories. I think the key is to let it melt and then stir. I got vanilla maple and it's so delicious. I also picked up peanut butter chocolate and chocolate so I can't wait to try them! And with 150 calories a pint, I mean, come on, you can't beat it! There might even be room for toppings if your calories allow it :)
  • jrmulford82
    Options
    I do what JTick does. I eat sweets almost every day, but I don't overdo it. One (sometimes two) cookies is enough to satisfy my craving. I love baking, but I give most of the things I bake away to family and friends so I don't have mad cookies and cakes laying around the house, haha.

Also, what I find helps me from eating a sweet after a meal is to have red grapes. They're sweet enough to satisfy the sweet craving and don't screw me on calories for the day.