I want to start running...need advise please

Options

Replies

• bamgirl10
    bamgirl10 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I agree C25K is awesome for those who want to start running. I didnt think I could do it but I did and even with a slight set back for about a week I was able to pick up where I left off and still have the endurance to complete. It also syncs w/ MFP which is a plus and you dont have to log it yourself. Download the app you wont regret it!!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Going out once is easy. Doing it again after becoming a sweaty, gasping mess is the challenge. Find whatever it takes to get you running the second and third time. What that trick for going back is varies from person to person ... if you need time to clear your head and think, do it while getting some mileage alone ... find a running partner or group if a more social aspect helps keep you going (many running stores have contacts for local groups of all abilities) ... if there are causes you care about that have charity runs in the future, put them on your calendar as near to longer term goals ... if you use a running app, look at the routes other people in your area submit for clues of which paths are conducive to a good experience.

When you first start out there is no such thing as too slow or the wrong mix of walking and running ... just keep working to improve. As others have said, the right shoes are must haves. Don't walk in to a shoe store concerned about brand or model ... let the gait testing and fitting guide you to the right shoe for your stride and foot. As you progress, get fit and gait tested again ... your stride will change as your technique evolves.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much to each of you who took the time to reply. I appreciate all advice. You guys are the best! :flowerforyou:
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'll reiterate all of the above great advice. C25K is awesome in my opinion.

I always give new runners one caveat about the program. Theoretically, C25K is supposed to get you from the couch to being able to run a 5K in 30 minutes by the end of a 9 week program.

In my experience, very VERY few people can accomplish that. At the end of 9 weeks, you'll likely be able to run 5K, and you will likely be able to run for 30 minutes straight without stopping. But, most people cannot run a 5K in 30 minutes after just that short of a time.

If I had to guess, I would say that MAYBE 25% of truly new runners are able to do that. The average time at the end of the program to complete a 5K is probably 35 - 40 minutes.

Here's the thing... that's okay! Keep at it, and slowly but surely your time will improve (along with your overall fitness and health).

I have two other rules of C25K:

1. Slow down! C25K isn't about pace, really, it is about building a base of fitness and endurance and learning to run.
    2. When it feels too hard, see rule 1. Sometimes it can feel like you could walk faster (and in fact, that may be true sometimes), but running and walking are two different activities that stress your body very differently. Especially when you are starting out, try not to push your body too hard... your feet, legs and lungs all have a lot of adaptation to do.

Finally, Runner's World magazine has some very good info and supportive forums on their website.

If you are interested in an online forum dedicated to C25K, I recommend the forums as c25k (dot) cze (dot) dk

It is a great forum with lots of supportive people. I logged on there a week after I started C25K in January 2012 and I am still participating. I've made some great online friends there (and have been fortunate enough to meet several of those runners in person and run races with them).

Ted
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    oh, it's not that cold out. bundle up and head out for some walk-runs!! running counts as double in the winter.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I started off by running 1/4 mile and walking 1/4 mile. Then when I was ready,I increased each by 1/4 miles.Over the last five years, I constantly increased my speed and distance, to now being able to run 6.2 miles in 58 minutes. You have to stay consistent, because when it comes to running, you snooze you loose!! You take a week off, you loose some distance.
  • sfdakin
    Options
    Thank you, very, helpful.
  • Rerun201
    Rerun201 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I may get blasted between the running lights for this advice, but my advice to you is to not start running at this time. The factors you spell out in your initial post lead me to believe that you will be courting joint injuries in no time. I would rather see you put off starting a running program until you were at 160 or less. Running increases the forces you put on your joints by as much as 5 times your weight. Joints don't take to that too well, especially as we get older. I'd rather see you walk until you reach a lower weight, then try running.

Yes, there are many people who are heavy that run. That doesn't mean they aren't doing harm to their joints. Losing weight does not have to include running. If it is something you've never done before, it is something you can put off for a while longer. Putting it off may mean that you'll be able to enjoy it longer, should you find it to your liking.
  • simplybe13
    simplybe13 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    this was a great question and a really good thread.
    I just did day 1 C25K having never even run for a bus in my life!!
    I thought I might die mid way but obviously didnt as I'm writing this!!!
    Good luck!!!
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I may get blasted between the running lights for this advice, but my advice to you is to not start running at this time. The factors you spell out in your initial post lead me to believe that you will be courting joint injuries in no time. I would rather see you put off starting a running program until you were at 160 or less. Running increases the forces you put on your joints by as much as 5 times your weight. Joints don't take to that too well, especially as we get older. I'd rather see you walk until you reach a lower weight, then try running.

Yes, there are many people who are heavy that run. That doesn't mean they aren't doing harm to their joints. Losing weight does not have to include running. If it is something you've never done before, it is something you can put off for a while longer. Putting it off may mean that you'll be able to enjoy it longer, should you find it to your liking.

I'm not really gong to "blast" you, but I'll just point out a flaw in your logic.

"That doesn't mean they aren't doing harm to their joints."

Nor does running when you are heavy mean you ARE doing harm to your joints. Everyone is different... lots of people tolerate running quite well.

I started running when I was 317 pounds. I'm STILL 250. I've run a total in the last 23 months of just over 1600 miles. If I waited until I was "light enough" to run safely I would NEVER have started, and running has changed my life.

C25K is about as low impact as running gets to start out... I recommend the OP give it a try, but ALWAYS listen to your body... don't push too hard, and take an extra rest day if your body is telling you to back off.
  • JaniceKW
    JaniceKW Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You could also check into if your local running stores offer clinics. I started a "Learn to Run" clinic last week, the goal is to be able to run a 5K at the end of the program. This clinic is a little less intense than the stores regular 5K clinic.. Did a similar clinic about 10 years ago and it was great! I stopped running due to injuries and have just started back again.

On the clinic night they have a 30 minute info session then you go for the run. The info sessions are about various topics including: choosing & being fit for the correct shoes, apparel, nutrition & hydration and injury prevention. The store also has a Run Club that's free to join 2 days a week for extra practice. For me the best things about joining a clinic are that it keeps me motivated to keep going and I get to meet great new people!
  • tamcrit
    tamcrit Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through all the responses, so this may have already been said, but I wanteed to reply as you are similar to where I was 4 years ago, so hopefully this will give you a little motivation and inspiration. Feel free to friend me if you'd like and ask me any other questions you may have.

Four years ago (January 2010), I was 42 years old, weighed 206 pounds and was very out of shape, but wanted to get active again and lose the weight. I started with the Couch to 5K program and believe me when I tell you, I could barely make it through the running intervals when I first started and I had to repeat a few weeks, as I proceeded in the program. But that was okay and I stuck with it. I ran a 2 mile event in March 2010, my first 5K in May 2010 and I just kept going and pushing a little farther each week. I ran my first 10K in October 2010 and believe it or not, my first half marathon in January 2011, just a year after starting to run. By August 2010, I had lost 50 pounds and I have now lost a total of 70 calories, consider myself a real runner, and I love running. I have now run a total of 13 half marathons and am running #14 this coming Sunday. I have lost count of how many 5Ks and 10Ks I have done, but there is a long lost on my Profile page. Once I got started, I found that I loved it, and I got hooked and wanted to do more. And yes, the "runner's high" is real!! It is great stress relief and I enjoy running outside, getting fresh air, and enjoying my surroundings...running on a treadmill is boring for me.

As far as your questions, the Couch to 5K Program is a great way to start and build up gradually. After I completed that program, I continued on with the Bridge to 10K Program and then into a Half Marathon training program. The Runners World website and magazine have great information for beginners and all running levels. I also recommend reading "The Courage to Start" by John Bingham, and any of his other books, and just start imersing yourself into the world of running. The running community is full of great people and they all started out new at one time too, so they are generally very gracious in helping you out and offering advice, but you will have to experiment and learn what works for you. In terms of shoes, if you have a local running specialty store, go there. They will analyze your gait and them make appropriate shoe recommendations. My main advice would be to take it slow. Take the advice of others, try things out, but ultimately learn what works best for you. Don't worry if you are slow...I am still slow, but I continue to get faster, and that is okay. You will be amazed at what your mind and body can do. I still amaze myself everday that I have come this far, and if I can do it, anyone can. Good luck and feel free to friend me or message me with any other questions.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Please be mindful that running, or even jogging, at 230+ lbs is going to put terrible strain on your joints. It will kill your ankles and knees and it is hard to maintain proper form.

I was bigger than you when I started my weight loss process and I can't even imagine running at that weight.

Start with walking, then walk faster, then walk faster and farther. Take up jogging much later. Your joints (and lower back) will thank you.

Edited to add: I eventually did the C25K program this past summer and taught myself to run 3.1 miles. I had never run before in my life. However, I was about 155 lbs when I did it and even then, I felt it on my joints. Now I jog often, and at 143 lbs, it is easier. I walked and learned how to power walk with proper form and then jog with proper form.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Ditto, triple, etc etc. etc. c25k. It really does work. I used the Zen Labs app but there are many out there.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    Options
    Please be mindful that running, or even jogging, at 230+ lbs is going to put terrible strain on your joints. It will kill your ankles and knees and it is hard to maintain proper form.

I was bigger than you when I started my weight loss process and I can't even imagine running at that weight.

Start with walking, then walk faster, then walk faster and farther. Take up jogging much later. Your joints (and lower back) will thank you.

I don't agree with this.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options

I don't agree with this.

You don't have to. We all share our own experiences and it is important to have varied perspectives to make an informed choice.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    Options

I'm not really gong to "blast" you, but I'll just point out a flaw in your logic.

"That doesn't mean they aren't doing harm to their joints."

Nor does running when you are heavy mean you ARE doing harm to your joints. Everyone is different... lots of people tolerate running quite well.

I started running when I was 317 pounds. I'm STILL 250. I've run a total in the last 23 months of just over 1600 miles. If I waited until I was "light enough" to run safely I would NEVER have started, and running has changed my life.

C25K is about as low impact as running gets to start out... I recommend the OP give it a try, but ALWAYS listen to your body... don't push too hard, and take an extra rest day if your body is telling you to back off.

Another person suggesting that a person shouldn't because they are "too big" Wow. Loved the reply. You are 100% correct. Running changed my life as well.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert on running by any means, but I can say this, I used to never be able to run a mile before, and I think it was in part, (other than being out of shape) because I would start off to fast, and not be able to hang in there for the full mile. I've found that if I start off at around 4.2mph, and keep it right around there for the beginning of the mile, I can increase it more towards the end, to around 5-6mph. I actually love running. I love making little goals for myself, like beating my times, unfortunately, I have really bad knees, and they act up whenever I try running. I still do it from time to time, but I can't do it as often as I'd like. Good luck!!!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Most replies told the OP to listen to their body. If their body says running is too much then they get the message. If their body responds well to it, go with it. The blanket comments about injury are about as accurate as the blanked weightloss and fitness headlines on tabloids.
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have very similar stats as you so I thought I'd offer some of what I experienced when I started.

What advice would you give to someone looking to get started?
    -Start now. There is no reason you have to wait until March to get started.
    -"6 minutes or 16 minutes, a mile is a mile." The first time I ran as an adult my mile time was 15.43. I improved to 15.03 after 5 weeks. Now, I can maintain a pretty steady pace but I'm still a snail and there's nothing wrong with that.
    -If you can, find a running club or a beginning runners training program. Apps are fine but nothing beats having a bunch of newbie penguins out there with you huffing for air and red-faced. Lots of running stores do 5k training programs.

What is the best app to use for running? I was interested in C25K but am open to suggestions.
    -I don't like any of them because I don't like that they can't be individualized but if I had to pick one it would be Zombies, Run!

What online sites are useful for a beginner runner?
    -I like the runner's world forums and the running ahead forums. Some people are elitist jerks on these sites and if you post will make you feel like because you're slow or new that you aren't a "real" runner. Just ignore them. There are lots of supportive people there. MFP also has a nice little running community.

What are the best type of running shoes to get? (I already found 2 running stores in my area to get fitted at)
    -The best type is whatever the person that analyzes your gate tells you get combined with what you feel comfortable with and what you can afford.

Tips/ suggestions?
    -Just lace up and get out there and do it. And, don't feel discouraged if others are faster, or run farther or for longer. I feel it applies to running in general-run your own race at your own pace.