medifast take shape for life

Options
2»

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Well, sure that is true. But it doesn't seem to me that eating a bunch of prepackaged food is helping anyone learn how to eat real food, and keep the weight off. Obviously there are some successes, and kudos to them for keeping it off.

The program is not just about eating pre-packaged food. It encompasses skills for healthy eating which are learned through the program including portion control, healthy proteins, whole grans / complex carbs, and the importance of vegetables as well as maintaining an active lifestyle. These are learned through the program guides and books, and through your coach (or should be). Further, you start really using it during the Transition and Maintenance phase. Again, this program is literally guaranteed to work, as long as you follow it and encompass the ENTIRE PROGRAM.

OK. I'm just wondering why one of the graduates is giving the advice in another thread that it's impossible to eat too many good fats. :ohwell:
  • herownkindofwonderfull
    Options

OK. I'm just wondering why one of the graduates is giving the advice in another thread that it's impossible to eat too many good fats. :ohwell:

Haha, I can't answer that one unfortunately. It isn't anything the program preaches- it only explains that you need healthy fats in your diet... anything further is either something she learned in error through an un-educated "coach", or is making an assumption. The person obviously has no idea what they're talking about. lol
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    medifast just creates a calorie deficit which you can do on your own through the use of MFP without buying there products…

but if you want to try something really great, may I recommend NickOFast ..for 19.99 a week you get all the great products and I guarantee that you will lose fat and convert remaining fat into muscle with zero exercise...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I did medifast for a few months and lost some weight on it. Several people at work had lost significant weight on it. So I decided to try it too. I got to the point where I couldn't bear to choke down another packet of powdered food. When I stopped, I gained it all back. My coach had discouraged me from exercise because the calorie intake is so low you can't afford to spend energy that way.
    Now a couple of years later, the other medifasters have gained the weight back too- including the coach.
    I now believe in making sustainable dietary changes and creating new and better habits. No more diets for me!!

this sounds like the concentration camp diet...
  • herownkindofwonderfull
    Options
    medifast just creates a calorie deficit which you can do on your own through the use of MFP without buying there products…

This is very true, but it is very dangerous outside of a designed program unless you know exactly what you are doing to make sure you are getting the appropriate vitamins and nutrients on said "diet" with the calorie deficit. Medifast is VERY low calorie, at only 800-1000 calories a day. That being said, if you don't know what you are doing and designing your own program with this same deficit... you need to realize how dangerous that can be.

Also, the reason I think this program is so popular is because many people are too busy to meal-prep 6-7 meals for each day... I work 50-60 hours a week in my career, and am a full time college student. I don't have any days off and barely time to sleep. This program, for that reason, is amazing for me.
  • ndj1979
    Options

This is very true, but it is very dangerous outside of a designed program unless you know exactly what you are doing to make sure you are getting the appropriate vitamins and nutrients on said "diet" with the calorie deficit. Medifast is VERY low calorie, at only 800-1000 calories a day. That being said, if you don't know what you are doing and designing your own program with this same deficit... you need to realize how dangerous that can be.

Also, the reason I think this program is so popular is because many people are too busy to meal-prep 6-7 meals for each day... I work 50-60 hours a week in my career, and am a full time college student. I don't have any days off and barely time to sleep. This program, for that reason, is amazing for me.

i was referring to creating your own safe deficit of 500 cal per day at about one pound per week loss...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I am on it currently and love it. Everyone who I know who has been on the program has had a GREAT SUCCESS with losing weight, and keeping it off. The comments about not exercising are invalid.... and whoever those "coaches" are need to be re-trained. Exercising needs to start after about 3 weeks on the program, but due to the low calorie intake, it should not exceed 1 hour. If you are working out hard, there are some coaches who suggest doing a 4 & 2 program (instead of a 5 & 1) to up your calorie intake. That way, you are eating 2 L&G meals a day, and 4 medifast meals instead 1 L&G and 5 medifast meals.

I have been on the program one month and feel GREAT. I am eating healthy, learning amazing healthy alternatives, and am learning skills to keep weight off and to stay healthy once I am in the transition and maintenance phase. I have currently lost 22lbs in my first month on Medifast, and look GREAT. This has been without exercising, as my work and school schedule doesn't allow free time for that at the moment. However, I am starting my workout program next week when my semester is over - I can't wait! :)

I HIGHLY recommend Medifast TSFL for just about EVERYONE. :) It is a WONDERFUL program.

PS: for those who have "failed" in regard to Medifast... it's the PEOPLE that fail, not the diet (s). The reason that people are not successful in this program is for "cheating," and for not continuing healthy habits of life and health after they complete the program. It is not a program fault, but a personal fault that many encounter with any exercise or "diet" / "life change" program.
    Can you share some of the amazing healthy alternatives you're learning and using?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    PS: for those who have "failed" in regard to Medifast... it's the PEOPLE that fail, not the diet (s). The reason that people are not successful in this program is for "cheating," and for not continuing healthy habits of life and health after they complete the program. It is not a program fault, but a personal fault that many encounter with any exercise or "diet" / "life change" program.
    Or it could be that the diet is too restrictive to continue for life. Weight loss isn't a guarded secret. Eat less than you burn, you lose weight. There really isn't a need for a diet program, but a program that one can continue to be consistent with HAPPILY.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • topazora
    topazora Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    overpriced crap food that essentially low cal and small portions and can be done for cheaper with real food. And their eggs are crap and so are their soups. And they gave me digestion problems. I can't believe I wasted my money with them.
    There's no reason for me to pay $400 a month, when I can do just a little research on my smart phone during times when I'm just chilling, and get some good information. And then buy the foods for a lot less, and have it be the foods that I enjoy and have learned about. And a lot of healthy eating is easy to fix up.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options

Unless you are under the care of an actual doctor, an 800-1000 calorie a day plan is dangerous. Period. Whether it's a "designed program" or not.
  • Tootslarue202
    Tootslarue202 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I did this for only 2 weeks. It was expensive, the food was gross! The shakes were watery, and it didn't keep me full. Everything microwaved, yuck. I returned it.
  • Tootslarue202
    Tootslarue202 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree with you with the Medifast. What's the website to this Nickofast stuff? Just curious never heard of it.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I agree with you with the Medifast. What's the website to this Nickofast stuff? Just curious never heard of it.

:laugh:
  • shrinkidinked67
    shrinkidinked67 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Take Shape for Life fueled by Medifast is a great Program. It teaches you how to live a healthy lifestyle and weight loss is rapid. In reality, it only costs about $13 a day (that's five meals a day for $13). In just 6 weeks, I lost 30 lbs and still going. Like any weight loss program, it will work when you're ready.

tsfl.com
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I'd love to give it a great review, but I just can't. Did I lose weight? Sure did. A lot of it, in record time. Even transitioned off the program properly and maintained. Is it MF's fault I didn't keep up the good work, resulting in weight gain? No, of course not. What I don't like about MF is the chemicals, the soy, the unrecognizable ingredients, and the notion that it's ok to live in 800-1000 calories a day, even with up to 45 minutes of moderate exercise. In 45 minutes of moderate exercise, I can burn about 750 calories.

The damage that MF did to my metabolism and my muscle mass felt like it was irreparable. Fortunately, under the guidance of my doctor, a nutritionist, and a personal trainer, I've learned how to fix the damage I did to myself, and feel like a fool for ever thinking <1000 calories a day was anywhere even remotely close to ok.

I'll forever be an 'eat well, exercise often, lift heavy' kind of girl from here on out. Much luck to you, whatever you decide!
  • shrinkidinked67
    shrinkidinked67 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As a counselor for Take Shape for Life, you do not get food at a discount.