What should a guy wear to Zumba?

Options
I'm a college (male) student and I'm trying Zumba out because I need a PE credit and it was the only one that would work with my schedule...With that being said I'm fairly outgoing and nervous/interested to see what my first class will be composed of.

One of the questions I have though is what should I wear to Zumba? Is it okay if I wear my running tights or will that be frowned upon? Any tips during the class? Thanks!

Replies

• sajero2
    sajero2 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I would wear looser clothes. Nylon pants and a tshirt, something like that. It's not about form like a barre class or something where the instructor really needs to see your body. Honestly, I think you would stand out in a bad way in running tights, BUT if that's what you're comfortable in and want to wear, go for it. But I would just wear looser clothes myself.

Tips would be don't be discouraged if it seems really hard at first. Do what you can, if you can't follow something just keep moving!
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    The flaming gay male Zumba instructor I go to wears baggy shorts and a tshirt.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    A hood, to hide your head in shame.
  • docsharon
    docsharon Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The guys in my zumba class wear shorts and tee shirts. It gets plenty hot and sweaty in the room.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    something lose and comfortable.
  • SailerSiren13
    SailerSiren13 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Clothes um yeah clothes would be good.:bigsmile:
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    The guys in my zumba class wear shorts and tee shirts. It gets plenty hot and sweaty in the room.

i've tooken classes there fun. i tend to hide in the back. i seacond the keep moving even if your a step behind them its fun and you will burn cals. enjoy your self even if you feel silly
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    No!!! Don't do it ;)
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Something that's comfortable but at the same time not too loose so that you don't subject the other Zumba goers to all your business flopping everywhere (been subjected to this....not cute).

Same with women and the boobies. Comfortable yet practical so you don't pop out (this has also happened when I went to Zumba).
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    A really big......

Smile.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    one of those masks from the scream movie and some yoga pants…..
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    This is actually a good way to meet girls. Please do not wear running tights.
  • NewGuy14
    Options
    Haha Thanks for all the input so far. I'm a triathlete and do a lot of running so I feel pretty comfortable in the running tights as I've wear them quite a bit, especially in the fall/winter/early spring. I get really sweaty to just running in regular athletic pants so I was thinking the running tights might be better lol.

So I guess to add to the question: Yes or No?

And I was planning on standing like in the middle so it doesn't look like I'm there just to check out girls haha
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - you could not have taken a lifting class for similar credit?
  • UndoneTwo
    Options
    NOTHING! ;)
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    The guys in my class wear shorts and t-shirts and sneakers. Wear shorts that are supportive because there is a lot of jumping, and something that won't slide down your backside. My one pair of workout pants no longer fits well and I had the joy of stopping every few minutes to hike them up again. Never wore them to the gym again!
  • NewGuy14
    Options
    No I tried but my classes this semester are too inflexible to fit in a lifting class. I mainly do bodyweight exercises (lots of pull ups and dips mostly) anyways for strength training as I don't want to bulk up too much and get slower when it comes to races
  • mikeh78
    mikeh78 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Stay in the back for a good view.
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Please don't wear running tights. If you wear them wear them under some regular athletic shorts. There is a lot of hip gyrating in my class and it would be odd if a guy was wearing tight shorts. My husband rides bikes and has done some duathlons and I would not let him wear his bike/tri/running shorts to Zumba. A spin class would be fine but not Zumba. Have fun in class. We have a guy who comes to class with his wife and he wears loose shorts and a t-shirt.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    A shirt that says "I lost my testicles and all I got was this stupid shirt"

Actually, ya know what, screw it, more power to ya man. Go express yourself and update us with how it went and how many dirty looks you got.