Forcing yourself to eat.... Say wha?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You don't have to force more volume...just eat more calorie dense foods. 1 oz of almonds has like 160 calories...it's a tiny, itty bitty handful. Eat some avocado...1/2 and avocado is around 120 calories...saute or roast your veggies in some olive oil. Have a hunk of cheese, etc.

More calorie dense foods. If you're doing low fat no fat stuff knock it off.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Ice cream is the answer. :bigsmile:

Yes. One of those tiny little Ben & Jerry's tubs...it will solve your problems.
  • eeeegads
    Options
    Thanks for this. I was just looking at my caloric intake and I am having the same issue. Looks like I'll be adding some snacks to my plan.
  • Brad592
    Brad592 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    So how is it that people who are on very low calorie diets often report having no appetite? And why do people who are over-eating often still feel hungry? How does the body differentiate between enormous quantities of low calorie foods and tiny quantities of high calorie food?

Do your own reseach about how the body absorbs/uses different foods and you will find out the answer to that!
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Grr!! This thread makes me so MAD!! Wish I had the can't eat more than 1200 calories gene :(

Ha, ha,,,,,I am so with you.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lose weight, then don't eat!

This is terrible advise. If you dont eat at least the 1200 calorie minimum your body will start to deteriorate. Thyroid, liver etc.

If you dont eat enough protein your body will start to consume muscle. Im sure thats not what you want. Anorexic people are not healthy. You need a lifestyle change not a starvation diet.

Pleas find a way to sensibly up your calories. Balance your nutrition. You will be better off.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

If you are not hungry, then you don't NEED to eat.
    Your body will tell you if it is "Starving" or needs nutirents.
    If you are not feeling hungry, you don't need to eat!
    Please remember that the calorie goals set by us/programs are a guide only - your body will tell you what is right if you listen to it.

this is utter nonsense and very irresponsible advice.
  • Brad592
    Options
    Our bodies are terrible at telling us what we need. That's why a lot of us got fat in the first place, because our bodies told us that wow those cookies were good, let's have another!

Your body will tell you that is is hungry, it can't tell you what to eat!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Our bodies are terrible at telling us what we need. That's why a lot of us got fat in the first place, because our bodies told us that wow those cookies were good, let's have another!

Your body will tell you that is is hungry, it can't tell you what to eat!

certain hormones control the feeling of hunger. those hormones can be messed with so that you don't experience that feeling, but that doesn't somehow eliminate your body's need for nutrients.
  • cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've struggled with this too. It can seem strange for some people to understand that some of don't have issues with being starving, but actually the opposite. I still have a hard time eating enough. I've begun to train my body to eat with the clock. Every 2-3 hours and no more without eating. I literally don't feel hunger-ever (head injury). When I don't consume enough weight loss stalls. No bueno. Some of the things posters have suggested, such as adding avocados to meals or embracing nutrient dense, higher calorie snacks has helped. Good luck.
  • Brad592
    Options

Please remember that the calorie goals set by us/programs are a guide only - your body will tell you what is right if you listen to it.

Okay, it seems that not many people agree with my advice.
    Can I please recommend that people do their own research about calorie in vs calorie out.
    I believe that it helps but it is not the answer - overall wellness is the answer.
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Butter on your toast adds 100 calories. A slice of cheese adds 100 calories.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options

Okay, it seems that not many people agree with my advice.
    Can I please recommend that people do their own research about calorie in vs calorie out.
    I believe that it helps but it is not the answer - overall wellness is the answer.

Overall wellness IS the answer. Yet you are hinging your advice on only one point: calorie in/out, and then extrapolating it into our bodies accurately signaling hunger. Which they frequently DON'T.

You don't have to have an eating disorder to have issues with appetite. It's relatively (frighteningly) easy to learn to ignore hunger. And when you do it long enough, you stop feeling it. I managed to crash my metabolism to RMR=1100 (measured, not calculated). Between PTSD, thyroid, and a couple of other issues, hunger wasn't even on the horizon, yet every 19 hours or so, I'd get dizzy and realize I hadn't eaten...and eat poorly and a bit too much. Steady, unhealthy route to 80 extra pounds.

Part of overall wellness is learning what "normal/healthy/good" eating feels like. There's NOTHING wrong with doing that mechanically (via calculations) while you learn or relearn how it "feels." OP is having these late-night food-fests, so clearly the body is signaling something. Why NOT try meeting the need in more healthy ways, as other commenters are suggesting?

There's a big range of YMMV in optimal eating habits, yet OP has noticed an unhealthy trend & is looking to work with it in a healthy way. Go OP!
  • Brad592
    Options
    Overall wellness IS the answer. Yet you are hinging your advice on only one point: calorie in/out, and then extrapolating it into our bodies accurately signaling hunger. Which they frequently DON'T.

You don't have do have an eating disorder to have issues with appetite. It's relatively (frighteningly) easy to learn to ignore hunger. And when you do it long enough, you stop feeling it. I managed to crash my metabolism to RMR=1100 (measured, not calculated). Between PTSD, thyroid, and a couple of other issues, hunger wasn't even on the horizon, yet every 19 hours or so, I'd get dizzy and realize I hadn't eaten...and eat poorly and a bit too much. Steady, unhealthy route to 80 extra pounds.

Part of overall wellness is learning what "normal/healthy/good" eating feels like. There's NOTHING wrong with doing that mechanically (via calculations) while you learn or relearn how it "feels." OP is having these late-night food-fests, so clearly the body is signaling something. Why NOT try meeting the need in more healthy ways, as other commenters are suggesting?

There's a big range of YMMV in optimal eating habits, yet OP has noticed an unhealthy trend & is looking to work with it in a healthy way. Go OP!

Agreed.
    But all of the suggestions of ice cream are not helping.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

You don't have do have an eating disorder to have issues with appetite. It's relatively (frighteningly) easy to learn to ignore hunger. And when you do it long enough, you stop feeling it. I managed to crash my metabolism to RMR=1100 (measured, not calculated). Between PTSD, thyroid, and a couple of other issues, hunger wasn't even on the horizon, yet every 19 hours or so, I'd get dizzy and realize I hadn't eaten...and eat poorly and a bit too much. Steady, unhealthy route to 80 extra pounds.

Agreed.
    But all of the suggestions of ice cream are not helping.
    What's wrong with ice cream?
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    My go to for extra calories is a Greek yogurt with a teaspoon of chia seeds and 2-3 walnut halves added too. Not a heavy meal, will add about 350 calories.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    So how is it that people who are on very low calorie diets often report having no appetite? And why do people who are over-eating often still feel hungry? How does the body differentiate between enormous quantities of low calorie foods and tiny quantities of high calorie food?

Do your own reseach about how the body absorbs/uses different foods and you will find out the answer to that!

Why don't you just say you don't know.
  • Brad592
    Options

Why don't you just say you don't know.

Because I have done the research but I don't want to force my opinions down other people's throats like many other try.
    I would rather people make their own opinions and not just rely on what other people say.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    If you are not hungry... dont eat. Simple as that. You are not going to put fuel in a car that is already full are you? So what is the difference doing that to your body?
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Butter on your toast adds 100 calories. A slice of cheese adds 100 calories.

Really? The cheese I have here is 47cals a slice, the butter is about 10cals on my toast... (yes actual butter)...... I'd hate to see your portions.