No Weight Loss After 2 Weeks

Options
Hey guys,

I need some help. I have been eating low calorie and exercising again after taking a break. I gained weight in college and now I am trying to lose it. I have been trying to watch my calorie intake and exercise but I still haven't seen any loss on the scale after two weeks. I was wondering if you could give me some advice to lose the weight more quickly since I am new to this!

Thanks!

Replies

• kiwitechgirl
    kiwitechgirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If you're eating less than you're burning, you'll lose weight. My guess is that you're eating more than you think; invest in a food scale and weigh everything before you eat it. Do that, log accurately and eat your exercise calories back and you'll lose weight.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Are you logging your food? Are you exercising? Do it. The inches will come off.
  • tabbyxxcat
    tabbyxxcat Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    If you're eating less than you're burning, you'll lose weight. My guess is that you're eating more than you think; invest in a food scale and weigh everything before you eat it. Do that, log accurately and eat your exercise calories back and you'll lose weight.

^ truth
    I remember when I first started with MFP I didn't record things like condiments...but 15 calories per ketchup packet really adds up!!!
    The biggest thing would be to double check your measurements of what you're eating. Like use actual tools instead of eyeballing everything...you'd be surprised!!!
    Take it from someone who's been there. Once you find your sweet spot the scale will move for ya :)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing, you're not eating at a deficit. You're probably underestimating your food &/or overestimating your burn. Weigh your food. Find accurate database entries. (There's a lot of faulty data in there.) Eat back half your exercise calories.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Everybody's different. Weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you.
  • 10manda86
    10manda86 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    what everyone else has said... measure and weigh all your food form complete accuracy.
    ensure you are eating the correct amount of calories for your weight and height, work out TDEE and BMR and all that stuff there are pages like fit2fat or scooby that can help you.
    next, take body measurements, you may not be losing weight but you may be losing cm/inches around your waist/thighs/abdomen... sometimes it is the loss on the tape measure that makes you happier than the loss on the scale!
    best of luck
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    If you are new to exercising, your muscles are probably retaining water. So you might be losing a little weight, but gaining water. If so, the water weight will go away soon as your muscles get accustomed to the new activity.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    There is no 'quick' way to lose weight, at least not one that's healthy. Figure out your calorie needs (http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/), weigh, measure, and log your foods as accurately as you can, and commit to an exercise program that you enjoy, or at least can tolerate.

You'll be fine.
  • vagabondgoddess
    vagabondgoddess Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Make sure you way yourself in the morning before you eat. I just made this mistake tonight... stupid me. Anyway I ate a foot long then weighed myself and then checked in. :( I doubt I gained 4 pounds in one day. lol
  • Brianne15089
    Options
    I have been keep track of my food and exercise. But you may be right, I am only burning about 200-300 calories a day while consuming more. I guess I need to start burning more calories when I work out! Thanks everyone!
  • tonydepalma
    tonydepalma Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My Fitness Pal App is crazy if I ate 50% carbs I'd blow up and die. it's all about insulin. Google Gary Taubes. I only use APP to track progress but calories in calories out is a myth. So is exercise helps you lose weight it does not. I do it because I wanna be healthy but its what we eat. Taubes destroys this theory.
  • tonydepalma
    Options
    I only weigh every 2-3 weeks being obsessed with it you will eat again just my thought:smile::happy:
  • tonydepalma
    Options
    Calorie counting is foolish its not calories google Gary Taubes go to you tube watch him speak! He researched obesity and low fat has made us a nation of Fatties its about insulin period.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting is foolish its not calories google Gary Taubes go to you tube watch him speak! He researched obesity and low fat has made us a nation of Fatties its about insulin period.

Widespread problems don't have simple, single causes, and anyone who tells you so is trying to sell you something.

If you think Gary Taubes's spiel works for you, great - but making sweeping generalizations based on conjecture and saying that it is the only answer is, well, pretty foolish.
  • kiwitechgirl
    Options
    I have been keep track of my food and exercise. But you may be right, I am only burning about 200-300 calories a day while consuming more. I guess I need to start burning more calories when I work out! Thanks everyone!

You burn a whole lot more calories than that just by being alive (BMR) and in day to day life. The number of calories MFP tells you to eat doesn't take exercise into account, so if you exercise and burn more, eat at least some of them back so your body is properly fueled. It's not about exercise, it's about eating less than you burn.
  • kiwitechgirl
    Options
    Whats foolish is the US government and how it's made obesity such a problem in our nation. Do the research yourself it's no sweeping generalization its research. Good Calories bad Calories is a deep read. But Why we are fat nails it. Junk science makes us fat. MYFITNESSPAL is crazy diet. I'd be dead the problem with the obese is Insulin not calories in calories out. The science was around in the 30's and 40's then came the war and we left it alone.

Funny how calories in, calories out has worked for so many people the , isn't it? If you don't think MFP is a good idea, then go away.
  • tonydepalma
    Options
    I only use it to track food make sure getting plenty of fat. its ideas of 50% carbs would kill a person. Ridiculous. Research proves calories in calories out is failing obesity in 1960 was 1 in 8 today 1 in 3! How are those food groups the McGovern committee instituted working? They don't is the simple answer. Taubes research goes back to the 30's. INSULIN CAUSES FAT1 ENERGY IN ENERGY OUT DOES NOT CHANGE IT
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I only use it to track food make sure getting plenty of fat. its ideas of 50% carbs would kill a person. Ridiculous. Research proves calories in calories out is failing obesity in 1960 was 1 in 8 today 1 in 3! How are those food groups the McGovern committee instituted working? They don't is the simple answer. Taubes research goes back to the 30's. INSULIN CAUSES FAT1 ENERGY IN ENERGY OUT DOES NOT CHANGE IT

lolwut?

If carbs are going to kill me, it will be a sweet, tasty death. I don't want to live anyway if I can't have carbs.
  • Quarkles
    Quarkles Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think somebody needs a tinfoil hat.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I think somebody needs a tinfoil hat.

Strong first post...I like you.:drinker:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

LOL... 1 in 3 people are obese, that has a lot to do with zero adjustment to the BMI scale.

FYI, I am one of the 1 in 3.
    <