Almond Milk

Options
I've never had almond milk, but I'm planning to try some next time I got to the store. Should I get plain or vanilla? Vanilla initially sounded better, but I'm wondering how it would taste in things like alfredo sauce. Has anyone tried it in savory foods?

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    It will likely make your alfredo into a mockery of italian food.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Plain, it tastes just like like almonds. With vanilla, it tastes like almonds and vanilla. I suppose I could imaging using it in some savory dishes, but definitely not a cheese sauce....
  • bloggymomx
    Options
    I prefer vanilla but I second that I wouldn't use it in Alfredo. :)
  • seeingthelight
    seeingthelight Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to use almond milk? Unless you are lactose intolerant or hate the taste of cows milk I can see no reason to use almond milk. They fortify it to make it look like it has the same nutritional value as cows milk but with the whole natural foods thing, how much more natural can you get then cows milk. Many dairies have quit using hormones, which I felt was a concern. If you want to spend more money you can use organic cow's milk. Really, I would like to hear why so many people are using almond milk.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to use almond milk? Unless you are lactose intolerant or hate the taste of cows milk I can see no reason to use almond milk. They fortify it to make it look like it has the same nutritional value as cows milk but with the whole natural foods thing, how much more natural can you get then cows milk. Many dairies have quit using hormones, which I felt was a concern. If you want to spend more money you can use organic cow's milk. Really, I would like to hear why so many people are using almond milk.
    It tastes good in smoothies.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    The vanilla is fine in cereal or smoothies – things that benefit from a hint of vanilla – but for savory dishes I would stick with plain, unsweetened.
  • tealgrove
    tealgrove Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I love almond milk in cereal and in my oatmeal. I use the plain unsweetened. I've used it in smoothies and I made pancakes with it. I like the nutty flavour and I think it really enhances some foods. I wouldn't cook with it as I just don't think it behaves the same as milk does in recipes. Stick to milk for your savoury recipes.
  • Americannabis
    Options
    Plain almond milk is delicious and a great chaser to balsamic mozzarella and steak, just sayin'. I agree with everyone else though, I wouldn't put it in an Alfredo sauce - ESPECIALLY not vanilla. Drinking it alongside savory food works, but mixed in? Eh, it really depends on what you're working with.
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    It will likely make your alfredo into a mockery of italian food.

Haha!! Actually tho it really does depend what you are going to use it for. Others may have had luck using it to cook with but I myself don't. But hey--I'm not a great cook either so....

Vanilla does taste great but i really like the Almond Coconut milk!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    use it in cearal and shakes and stuff, but not in alfredo sauce. and i prefer the almond unsweetened.
  • MittnMom162
    Options
    The vanilla is fine in cereal or smoothies – things that benefit from a hint of vanilla – but for savory dishes I would stick with plain, unsweetened.

I agree with this.
  • angel_of_harmony
    angel_of_harmony Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I prefer the vanilla flavor but have found that it also has 2x the amount of sugar and carbs. So if you're a diabetic or watching those things you may want to go with the original kind.
  • smithed812
    Options
    You could always try the vanilla in alfredo sauce... I once was making creamy pesto sauce and realized I didn't have anything on hand but vanilla soy milk... I was shocked it didn't taste weird, hah.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    the vanilla is super sweet. i can live on ice cream and candy but the vanilla is too sweet for me.
    i use almond milk in my cooking, cereal, shakes - whatever. i dont do well with lactose so its my go-to.

it does NOT make good ice cream (need fatty dairy for that, whole milk YEAAA)
    it does NOT make good mac & cheese (again, the no-fat makes it not creamy which makes the mac & cheese rather runny, still tastes great just looks bad)

anything i have baked with it seemed to turn out normal.
    i'm guessing anything creamy (alfredo) would do much better with regular milk. if you just want to make a recipe buy a little container like the 12 ouncers for lunch packs?
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I use original unsweetened in my coffee, cereal, oatmeal, baking/cooking. I like the flavor, and it's a big calorie savings.
    There's added sugar in the varieties that aren't designated as "unsweetened."
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I like unsweetened original. Sweetened is far too sweet in my opinion (and waste of calories since unsweetened is already sweet); and vanilla just isn't great in my opinion. Or on the rare occasion I want some vanilla flavor, I could add some vanilla extract myself.

But try all of the varieties and see what you like. None are horrible--like you wouldn't end up throwing them out.
  • mbts08
    mbts08 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened original. Its really good in oatmeal. I use it for my overnight protein oats.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Definitely get unsweetened if you'll be cooking with it, and I'd stick with plain. Alfredo sauce is garlicky, garlic+vanilla...

That being said, I'd be wary of substituting almond milk for dairy milk in cooking. I love almond milk but I tried to use it in tea a few times and it didn't behave the same as dairy...
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Really, I would like to hear why so many people are using almond milk.

Less calories and you can get it without sugar if you're watching that like I am. 1 Cup of milk (any fat percentage) has 11 - 12 grams of sugar in it