Need lunch ideas on the go for low carb! Ideas, anyone?

Options
Hi everybody! My fiance and I are going back on our low carb diet. We've had success with it before. Buttt, we have a problem. I work in a sheriff's office, and have access to a mini kitchen, with a fridge, microwave, and toaster oven. He works on an ambulance all day and stays on the road. So he has absolutely no access to a microwave. What i need are some ideas of what he can bring for lunch that he can eat cold or at room temp. Any ideas?

Replies

• ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Tuna fish with fatty dressing or one part dressing and one part mayo, and perhaps some sunflower seeds thrown in for a crunch? Make soups in bulk and portion them out for microwaving. Make a big pot of low carb chili and portion it out with some cheese. There are many options.
  • kellygrl518
    kellygrl518 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The Star Kist Tuna packets.. perfect because you don't have to drain. I also use canned chicken (a lot better then it sounds) and add this to big salads! I LOAD salads with plenty of colorful vegggies and use tuna or chicken, very filling. Dressing you can use olive oil and frsh squeezed lemon juice... 1%cottage cheese with fruit. Greek yogurt.. I prefer Chobani.. no artificial sweetners. You can use plain and add fruit with some slivered almonds... good stuff! If you use plain, you may have to add a bit of honey to sweeten.
  • mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    You could do a thermos with soups/stews. Cold cuts/veggies, salads. Make sandwiches but use lettuce for bread.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of salads. I usually get mine from the cafe next door, but one thing you can do that makes it easy to pack a salad is to simply cook an extra portion of meat the night before and use it on tomorrow's salad. So if it's steak for dinner, make a steak salad for the next day, and so on.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    You could do a thermos with soups/stews. Cold cuts/veggies, salads. Make sandwiches but use lettuce for bread.

Yup, this is what I do!

I also really like deli meat/cheese roll ups and egg salad.
  • sarahfullagrace
    sarahfullagrace Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Atkins has some frozen dinners and meal bars. The frozen dinners arent bad. I like the pasta bake the best. I also like lettuce wraps. jimmy johns will make any of their sandwiches with lettuce instead of bread if you don't want to make your own or if you forget. Caesar salads with chicken and no croutons are good. Sometimes I will get one from Panera if I am too lazy to make one myself. i bring a lot of leftover from the night before. Its usually some sort of chicken/steak/pork with green beans or broccoli.

My favorite thing is prob fajitas. Missions makes low carb tortillas that have only 4 net carbs (the wheat has only 3 but they don't taste as goon IMO). I make fajitas at least once a week and bring left overs to work. Steak or chicken. I also make breakfast tacos a lot with the low carb tortillas although that is obvi at home and won't do any good at work.

cheese is a great snack. I keep some at work in our fridge. also pistachios are delish. I also will take pepperoni slices and set them on a paper plate and put them in the microwave for about a minute and they are delicious and crispy like chips.

Hope this helps!
  • crazyincolorado84
    crazyincolorado84 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Salads in a jar! I'm loving these for on the go health right now :) Dressing on the bottom veggies and protein in the middle and greens on top, prep them so you can really grab and go. If you need ideas for low carb salads just google "low carb salad in a jar"
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Big romaine leaves spread with hummus, then add sliced peppers and tomatoes and sprinkle with feta. Roll up and eat lots. So good.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    The sunkist pouches of tuna salad are good. Chicken and bacon can be eaten cold, nuts or seeds, hard boiled eggs and cheese to add to salads. You want to be sure to have proteins to make up for the loss of carbs.

I like the Mission carb control tortillas in place of bread for sandwiches. Greek yogurt, if you watch the labels there are some with only 8 carbs, 12-20 gm of protein. Fage greek yogurt is one with 20 gms protein but it doesn't taste the best. I put cinnamon or other spices in it. Dannon Lite & Fit is a good one.