When was your last straw that made you want to change?

Options

Replies

• bubblyjoolz
    bubblyjoolz Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Well, there are several. I wasn't worrying about my blood pressure and diabetes enough. I thought I could easily change those numbers with changes in diet. So I was making changes yet somehow gained more weight and the numbers went up. The cholestoral numbers dropped and that was good. But everything else got worse and they upped my meds. My hobbies involve my eyes. Needle crafts, reading, and other things. Now when my blood sugar spikes up or drops low, my vision gets blurry. So I really have to watch and maintain that. So I really need to focus on weight loss and eating right.

I also love clothes but I never buy any. I hate the close for my body now. I can't wear anything I really like. So I want to get down to a size that I can look good in the styles I like.

But now I have a new and unusual reason to lose weight.

Normally, I do not have to sit all the way forward in a car. Even with my short legs, I can reach the pedals if I'm back a notch or two. But that being said, I'm fat so my stomach is still touching the steering wheel.

But my new used car is a stick. That makes me happen even though I have to relearn to drive one. I'm fine except for first gear. I am still trying to figure out the clutch to gas ratio in that one gear. The brakes are super touchy as well.

But the clutch needs to go all the way to the floor to start. This means I have to move the seat all the way up. Now I am totally squished between the seat back and steering wheel. Right now it is against my bruise from my accident making it hurt worse after driving.

So now I have a NEW reason to lose weight to add to my other reasons. And I'm reminded with discomfort every time I get into my car. I need to loose weight in order to drive comfortably.

I lost 8.4 or 8.6 lbs in about a month. I'm now going to focus on maintaining that rate. So each month should get more comfortable until one day I can sit in my car and my stomach doesn't touch the steering wheel at all.

I do wonder if there are attachments to add to pedals for short people to drive more easily. That would be nice.

It is an unusual reason as you said. Never heard it before, but sounds like added motivation. Doing great, keep it up. Wish you success on your journey!

I used to have that problem, but now seat is back a couple of notches and have a six inch gap between me and steering wheel now.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

I read them all also, it's somehow encouraging...

I read them all too.
  • bubbles1212
    bubbles1212 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I was tired of being unhappy and hating myself. I felt huge and wanted to hide from everyone. I was then diagnosed with an auto-immune disease and decided to TAKE MY LIFE BACK!!!! :)
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    lol no one reads anyone else's in these threads

I read all of them :embarassed:

I have too!

I came back and read the rest of them too...just can't look away from this one
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    lol no one reads anyone else's in these threads

I read all of them :embarassed:

I have too!

I came back and read the rest of them too...just can't look away from this one

:bigsmile: I just read it a couple minutes ago! I know what you mean.
  • xoeva
    xoeva Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    seeing 180 on the scale!!!:sad:
  • basilpho
    Options
    My family and friends. My family was gaining more weight and were making fun of me a lot. My friends on the other hand are very supportive but eat a lot of unhealthy foods. It was the last straw when I saw a recent photo at a wedding and I looked...well....unappealing...

Inspiration at its worst :P
  • Appaloosa05
    Options
    One of my largest motivators when I initially started to lose weight was when I went to go skydiving with a friend and had to pay an extra fee because with clothes and shoes I was over 200 pounds. Another helpful factor was working in a manufacturing job that summer and losing 15 pounds in about 8 weeks because I was sweating 8 hours/day. Once I got that kick start it would have been a shame to back out. Lost 47 pounds, gained 10-15 back, time to go at it again.
  • Singularity84
    Singularity84 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    About six months ago, I joined a flash mob group, and have learned and performed three routines with them. A few weeks ago, I finally got around to watching the video of one of our dances. It was really eye opening. I have always loved dancing, even though I am not so great at it (I lack a few key things like grace and rhythm). I knew it wasn't going to super amazing, but I didn't realize it was going to be that bad to watch myself. I was doing all the moves right, but it just didn't look good at all.
  • shoc369
    shoc369 Posts: 21
    Options
    Three things:

1). Got asked by a five year old boy "Is there a baby in there?"

2.) Was at Dillard's and asked where the dress department was (as I wear a 16), and the sales person said "Plus size?".

3). My son, my daughter, and I all have the same North Face jacket. So of course we have to look inside to see which size is ours to know who's is who's. I can't even tell you the shame and embarrassment I feel every time my kids go to grab their jackets, knowing theirs are size S and M, and when they look inside mine it is XXL.

UGH! Enough is enough!

Also, I want to be healthy again!
  • tashalloyd330
    tashalloyd330 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hitting 200 lbs again. Was so disgusted with myself. (I'm 5'2".)
  • kiroshino
    kiroshino Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This year: Having to move the belt up two notches compared to a year ago. This was compounded by the fact that I had trouble fitting pants that had been loose for as long as I could remember.

And I broke in a new chair. Literally.

Plus all of the usual reasons.
  • Glens_Life
    Glens_Life Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    When I finally jumped on a scale and didn't like what I saw and didn't like how I always felt tired. And when I felt my health was going downhill.
  • carriemuir
    carriemuir Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am a singer and every time I was singing it would get harder and harder to breath and my heart would race from the pressure.So since mid Dec I have went from 385lbs to 367lbs!! So excited <3
  • rcroneberger
    Options
    My last straw was when my 9 year old asked me to please try to go on The Biggest Loser, so I can be healthy again. So here I am with a goal of 100 lbs by this time next year.
  • amywendyj
    amywendyj Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just had Baby boy number 2. And since I've had him I have gained weight! At 220 I am the biggest I have ever been. I want to be the mom that can coach soccer and football without passing out!!! I want to feel pretty and confident. 2 things that I haven't felt in a long time! I pretty much haven't been active since highschool, when I danced and played sports. Here's to a good challenge!
  • lonestar45
    Options
    i was just ready to be happy in every aspect of life! i know that you must start somewhere, eating and exercise habits are things i can control so i took it into my hands. It's my responsibility! Also, our body is an amazing gift, I didn't want to throw it away. I want to make the most of this opportunity I have to be healthy, happy and strong human.
  • jlgobert
    jlgobert Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I do not know how common this may be but my decision to change was based on tying my shoes. I could no longer bend over and tie my shoes without losing my breath, I thought something was wrong with me so I went to my doctor and found out that I was 340 pounds. It was time to lose weight.
  • annsky123
    Options
    My mate I haven't seen for couple of years asked me if I'm pregnant. Sad I know
  • SavingSierry
    Options
    I got out of shape after sports season and just let myself go.Now I can't fit any of my jeans and I'm tired and lazy...That's not okay with me.