Insanity, please give me insight, can't keep up!

Options
I have only been doing insanity for 7days, and I still feel like I am not getting where I should be. I couldn't keep up with them. At all. I feel good, I actually enjoy knowing I'm working out. But I wonder if I'm getting the full experience if I'm not doing it along with them. When, if ever, can you keep up with them? Did you get results in the first month?

Replies

• jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    That's the biggest mistake you can make..........trying to keep up with them.
    Worry about your form, take breaks as needed, and modify as needed.

The speed will come in due time, although as much as my fitness has improved, I'm still not as fast as them.

Don't stress. By just putting the DVD in and pressing Play, you're already doing more than most.
    Keep it up, and don't beat yourself up..........unless beating yourself up involves doing another Insanity workout.
  • Devasation
    Devasation Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Do not attempt to keep up with the folks on the DVD. Go at your own pace, take breaks when you need to, and most of all, be safe. Your endurance will increase, most definitely.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Your endurance will increase, most definitely.

That's what I used to judge my improving fitness. In the early going to doing Insanity, I was taking many breaks. After a week, I noticed I could go even longer without taking a break.

As of today, I could probably go through most of the workouts without a single break (except for the breaks they already take in the videos). I'm not going at their speed, but at my speed, I can push myself straight through.

I'm nowhere close to being as fast as Shaun T or Tanya (nor will I probably ever be), but I push through and have seen my fitness and endurance dramatically improve.
  • numerounatapatia
    Options
    I did insanity for 4 weeks and I only saw inches shed I only lost 3 pounds but lost 2 inches around my waist!! should try T25 i like that one alot better
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I just started my 3rd week, and my fit test results after two weeks are a marked improvement.

If you go at their speed, you'll probably die a slow horrible death...or your heart will just explode...it'll be messy, best not to let your family have to clean that up.

I got at my own pace...probably faster than I should, I still take little breaks and pause the dvd during the breaks to let my HR go back down to around 164 or 165.

You will see an improvement in YOUR results though. Like for instance today was Plyometric Cardio Circuit. Normally I wouldn't be able to do a single push-up in the 2nd round of the Level 1 drills....today...I was able to push and do it through ALL THREE circuits! Ski abs are tough as well as the in and outs...I was able to push through those with little breaks, during all 3 circuits.

I forgot to measure before I started, so I've lost some inches assuredly...going to have to fudge the numbers for the T-shirt to start....but I've lost 5 pounds in those two weeks, and the clothes are starting to fit better again.

As a comparison to T25, my fiance and I did that yesterday, and due to Insanity, I was able to keep up and do the entire workout with a couple very tiny 5 second breaks! Compare that to the first time I tried it about a month ago, where I was dying, a MAJOR improvement.
  • rmadams124
    Options
    agree with everyone above! keep good form, go at your own max pace, rest/water when you need it - you will improve over time and will see results!! I thought i was in pretty good cardio shape when I started, but I definitely need to take extra breaks and go really slow on some of the moves. the fact that the superfit people in the video look like they are dying at the end of each dvd should speak for itself...this is TOUGH :)

a friend of mine who has done this program several times suggested making workout sheets for yourself (write down the basic parts/moves for each video, and track how you did - he used a simple smiley or frown face! - or number of reps, etc, as well as tracked when he took extra breaks, long water breaks, etc. over the course of the program, you can see improvement - needing less breaks, feeling strong through the whole video, etc.