It's just not working

Options

Replies

• qariqiz
    qariqiz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My guess is that you're building muscle through your workout regime. Muscle weighs more than fat, and is more compact. So the more you exercise, the more you're technically stunting your "weight" loss. However, you're toning your body and replacing the loose fat with denser muscle. This is a good thing. It means you're gaining muscle faster than you're losing fat, and that's okay!

Keep doing what you're doing, and be well!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    My guess is that you're building muscle through your workout regime. Muscle weighs more than fat, and is more compact. So the more you exercise, the more you're technically stunting your "weight" loss. However, you're toning your body and replacing the loose fat with denser muscle. This is a good thing. It means you're gaining muscle faster than you're losing fat, and that's okay!

Solid first post.

Highly likely this is not true though. If you are eating at a deficit you will not be building very much muscle if at all.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Nope, not if OP is eating a true calorie deificit. When all calories consumed are burned and the body uses fat storage for energy as well, there's nothing left to build new muscle from.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Also, remember that working out also makes your body gain muscle, which weighs more than fat. I would do some research on average intake that is involved with eating fast-food (if it's something you can't stay away from) and make sure you balance it with healthier foods like fruits and vegetables in your diet plan. Fast-food is addicting and it's hard to resist the urge to consume it until you feel sick, but I would make it a once a week "treat" if anything. Water weight is a hassle as well, but there are foods out there that can limit the water retention:

Melons and citrus fruits
    Water (believe it or not)
    Watercress
    Salmon
    Whole grains and nuts

*If you are going to eat fast-food, I would then stay away from processed foods.*

No, no, no. Just no. It doesn't matter what kind of food OP is eating, as long as there is a calorie deficit, weight will be lost. You CANNOT build muscle while eating at a deficit!
  • mekobaby
    Options
    Just my opinion but unless you are burning like 700 calories with exercise do not subtract them and let yourself eat them! if it is like 300or less just ignore them and eat the recommended # per day as if you have not worked out!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I also didn't really shed too many pounds doing Insanity, but I felt much stronger and had a lot more endurance. Have you been taking measurements or anything like that? Maybe you are losing inches/gaining muscle, and that's why you're not seeing much change on the scale. Good luck!

i put on weight but lost loads of fat... i would really disagree with the people saying dont eat your exercise cals... you should NOT be doign insanity on just 1300 cals!

stop weighing yourself till you have finished th eprogramme, and then use measurements/pictures as progress... with only a little weight to lose you want to be focusing on your bodyfat % not scale weight.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Also, remember that working out also makes your body gain muscle, which weighs more than fat. I would do some research on average intake that is involved with eating fast-food (if it's something you can't stay away from) and make sure you balance it with healthier foods like fruits and vegetables in your diet plan. Fast-food is addicting and it's hard to resist the urge to consume it until you feel sick, but I would make it a once a week "treat" if anything. Water weight is a hassle as well, but there are foods out there that can limit the water retention:

Melons and citrus fruits
    Water (believe it or not)
    Watercress
    Salmon
    Whole grains and nuts

*If you are going to eat fast-food, I would then stay away from processed foods.*
    Solid first post! :huh:

Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound is a pound. Muscle is denser than fat. It takes up less room for the same weight.

Having said that, the OP did not gain 3.5 pounds of muscle in a month. A professional bodybuilder who is female will be doing excellently to put on one single pound of muscle in a month. And she will have put on fat with it as well.

Water weight is just that, and nothing to stress out about. Maybe worry less about the number on the scale and pay more attention to body composition, the way your clothes fit (if you care about that) and your performance when training.

ETF a stupid format tagging typo.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    If your ready to quit after a month.. its already over.

Well that's helpful..not! Not cool....

I agree that his response was kinda ...blunt...but I also agree that's true. When only setting goal for a month it usually leads to failure, at least from my personal experience.

Having said that, I can totally relate to OP's frurstration. I have been trying to lose that 10 pounds for over a decade. It did come off and then went back on...back and forth. :( However, my body compostion has looked significantly different. With the same weight for more 5 years, I now look the leanest in my whole life, say BF 18% or somewhere around there. As much as I wish to drop a few on the scale, I just have to keep trying, frustrated, depressed, but at same time, I from time to time, do see myself prettier and leaner than ever.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Most likely, you just arent doing things properly. Not recording strictly enough and not being honest. This 'its not working'. 'It', whatever it is, is to blame, and not yourself.
  • albayin
    Options
    Another personal experience I would like to share with OP is that when I was doing p90x double, I tried to eating 1400 calories...the result? I was over trained, undereating, and put on more weight than ever, especially around my waist...So after 89 days, I stopped, took a breather, relaxed for a couple of weeks by simply walking, slow running, stretching. Then I started again with Chalean extreme program, my body fat came off (not necessarily the scale however).
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Another personal experience I would like to share with OP is that when I was doing p90x double, I tried to eating 1400 calories...the result? I was over trained, undereating, and put on more weight than ever, especially around my waist...So after 89 days, I stopped, took a breather, relaxed for a couple of weeks by simply walking, slow running, stretching. Then I started again with Chalean extreme program, my body fat came off (not necessarily the scale however).

If you "put on more weight than ever", you were not eating at a calorie deficit.
  • albayin
    Options

If you "put on more weight than ever", you were not eating at a calorie deficit.

don't want to argue...but you must have heard cortisol level, and ....hmmm....water retention right?
  • lbuseth
    lbuseth Posts: 41
    Options
    I just reviewed your diary. I do not think your diet is all that great. There are days you consume 1500 calories and 500 of those calories are snacks and sweets. Since it apparently is not working for you. I would suggest trying 3 weeks of real food. No protein bars or drinks, no fast food, or at the very least, make your sub a salad instead of eating it with bread.

Add leaner meats and more fruits and veggies. Just see where that lands you.

I agree with this! You seem to be eating a lot of processed food and sugar. Cut ALL of it out and that will help. Also, don't eat back all the workout calories you burn. The less you put in and the more you put out will help you reach your goals. One month of not being that consistent is not going to show you the results you want. It can take time, eating clean and working out!
  • mccindy72
    Options
    I just reviewed your diary. I do not think your diet is all that great. There are days you consume 1500 calories and 500 of those calories are snacks and sweets. Since it apparently is not working for you. I would suggest trying 3 weeks of real food. No protein bars or drinks, no fast food, or at the very least, make your sub a salad instead of eating it with bread.

I agree with this! You seem to be eating a lot of processed food and sugar. Cut ALL of it out and that will help. Also, don't eat back all the workout calories you burn. The less you put in and the more you put out will help you reach your goals. One month of not being that consistent is not going to show you the results you want. It can take time, eating clean and working out!

It will not help to cut all of that out. It will help if OP makes sure there is a calorie deficit.
  • mccindy72
    Options

don't want to argue...but you must have heard cortisol level, and ....hmmm....water retention right?

for 89 days? I've yet to find anyone who can retain water that gives them noticeable weight gain for 89 days. Anorexics are incredibly stressed and can have high levels of cortisol, but if they eat at a calorie deficit, they will lose weight. Starving people are pretty stressed out, I'm sure. They still die.
  • albayin
    Options

for 89 days? I've yet to find anyone who can retain water that gives them noticeable weight gain for 89 days. Anorexics are incredibly stressed and can have high levels of cortisol, but if they eat at a calorie deficit, they will lose weight. Starving people are pretty stressed out, I'm sure. They still die.

NICE.

By the way, we all still die, eating healthy or not, right?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I am so frustrated. I have been trying to lose weight the healthy way by eating enough calories since December 9. On that day I weighed 139 and I have my net set to 1300 calories. I eat back my exercise calories. I gained some weight in the beginning which I heard was normal and then I started losing. On Friday I weighed 137, I felt great and felt for the first time I was happy while losing weight. I was out of town this weekend and came back gaining 2 pounds. I stuck to my calories but ate out a lot so I figured it was water weight from the sodium. Well I was home yesterday and this morning I was up another pound! I'm now 140.4. I almost just want to give up and stop eating back my calories. I weigh everything and document everything that goes in my mouth, even a piece of gum. Weighing and measuring everything is time consuming and I'm about to stop cause it's obviously not working. What am I doing wrong????
    If you ate out the whole weekend, I'll bet you it's water weight from all that sodium. In order for you to gain two pounds in two days, you would have had to have eaten 7,000 over your TDE within those two days. If you did that, then you know what to do to get back on track. If you did not, the water weight will come off in a few days. Just drink lots of water in the meantime.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Wow...okay...
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Not always the best advice......
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I understand completely. My guess is that it may have to do with exercise calories. What kind of exercise do you do, how many calories do you eat back?

Edit: Just saw your edit. I may get criticized for saying this, but I would try not eating back your calories, unless you are feeling hungry, weak, or tired. Eat a lot of protein though. It sounds like you are eating right around maintenance.
    I'm not criticizing you, but 1,300 is not maintenance for many people. Eating back exercise calories is important to fuel the body, and a person should not wait until they are weak.