Some of my thoughts on emotional eating

Options
Imagine going to doctor and expecting them to make a diagnosis based solely on you saying, "I feel bad." Is it a broken leg? A sore throat? A migraine?

For those of you who tend to medicate with food - eat in response to your emotions - this is how you typically diagnose your feelings.

Very rarely are you identifying whether or not you're sad, anxious, doubtful, happy, angry, lonely or whatever. You aren't conditioned to think that far.

Instead you just "feel something" and you've conditioned yourself with a knee jerk reaction to eat in response to it. If they're positive feelings, you'll feed them with food in an attempt to magnify them. If they're negative feelings, you'll feed them in an attempt to minimize them.

You're an emotional zombie - "Feel good, want more, food yum, more feel good," or "Feel bad, no like, food yum, food fix."

No matter how you're feeling, you've linked up in your mind that food will improve it. And since food does taste very good... since it does provide us with nourishment, instant gratification, and it just feels good - albeit very temporarily ... it's a self fulfilling cycle. You lose sight of the temporariness in the heat of the moment.

How do you expect to cope with your emotions if you're not really paying attention to them - if you're not actually identifying them? Instead, you're just "taste testing" them because before you can fully experience them, you've already dove right into your automatic eating. Going back to the doctor analogy, you essentially have one medication that you use for all ailments.

Our feelings are valuable sources of information. They generally tell us that something has to happen behaviorally.

When you develop a knack for identifying your emotions, for the first time you get to experience them in their raw form. This adds a layer of objectivity to how you're feeling and choosing to respond to them. Rather than making a hasty judgement that triggers your automatic "eat response," you see the emotion for what it is - you see why it's there - and now you can make more reasoned responses to it.

Good or bad, you should welcome the experience of your emotions. With more reasoned responses, you have "better control of the car." You can start living life, and definitely improving your physique, more methodically and deliberately.

By pinpointing your emotions - rather than slapping some vague label on them - you are less likely to be a slave to the emotionally reasoned and behaviorally ingrained response of eating. You become situationally aware. You can identify events, people, and thoughts that tend to elicit certain emotions that drive you toward food.

Once you increase awareness, you can start interrupting the automaticity of it all. You can start tinkering with new responses and building new habits.

Not only can this help control you're eating and thus your weight... it can also drastically improve your life. As things improve, you'll notice a shift from emotions driving eating to emotions driving living.

This is all very general. I'm talking big picture here. There are a ton of little "tricks" and exercises that I use to bolster my clients' awareness and knowledge - tools to help them identify and FEEL their emotions for what they are... and ultimately how to modify their response to them. It's definitely a learned mindset and the more experience you compile of consciously responding to your emotions, the better at it you become.

I think, at a minimum, it starts with familiarizing yourself with the spectrum of emotions you tend to feel. Write them down. Analyze them. Where did they come from? Did a thought trigger them and if so, what was it? Did a situation in your environment trigger them and if so what was it ?

Once you identify your actual emotions, You should also familiarize yourself with how you tend to respond to them.

This likely seems silly to some of you, and if so, I'm not talking to you. You likely have no sense of what it's like to lack coping strategies for your emotions.

For those of you who this does jive with... once you get better at identifying and analyzing your emotions as indicated above - beyond simply being more aware, present, and objective - you can also begin to replace your responses to various emotions with more productive behaviors.

This isn't easy. It's like building a good body. It takes time, patience, forgiveness, acceptance, lots of practice, and even more consistency.

But this is a start to the direction many emotional eaters need in my opinion.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Thanks Steve.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Bump to have in my feed, and to reread later. I am working on this kind of stuff and this is thought-provoking -- Thank you Steve.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Steve.

Bumping for my newsfeed.
  • luvdogz
    luvdogz Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Bump-thank you for this!
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    This is great, thank you :)
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Always good stuff, Steve!! Thanks for posting this!
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    As someone who has been in a deep pit of binge eating/drinking my emotions, I can tell you that I do not think your post is silly at all. I think, for me at least, the biggest problem was that just the thought of thinking about why you're doing something and what emotions it's attached to can feel very overwhelming.

It's extremely difficult for someone who suffers from multiple mental problems such as depression and anxiety to even feel like they are "worth" thinking about to get out of the cycle. In some sick ways, they believe that they don't deserve anything better. I hope your post really helps someone in need, it has taken me almost a year to get where I am now. For me, losing weight and gaining better mental health went hand in hand, I couldn't do one without the other.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Great post!

Agreed!!
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    adding to my feed to reread and reflect on later.
  • fat2skinny50
    fat2skinny50 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks Steve excellent post - it already has me thinking of when i need to snack and what is triggering it. Any suggestions on what i should do to prevent eating doing those triggers. I thought maybe if i was home i could go on the treadmill. Just off the top of my head i thought of i snack when i am bored or when my husband aggravates me.
  • Poofy_Goodness
    Poofy_Goodness Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Excellent post.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    thanks Im going to read this later when Im not at work or when I get bored at work
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    As someone who has been in a deep pit of binge eating/drinking my emotions, I can tell you that I do not think your post is silly at all. I think, for me at least, the biggest problem was that just the thought of thinking about why you're doing something and what emotions it's attached to can feel very overwhelming.

It's extremely difficult for someone who suffers from multiple mental problems such as depression and anxiety to even feel like they are "worth" thinking about to get out of the cycle. In some sick ways, they believe that they don't deserve anything better. I hope your post really helps someone in need, it has taken me almost a year to get where I am now. For me, losing weight and gaining better mental health went hand in hand, I couldn't do one without the other.

I totally get this. Everything operates on a spectrum. In terms of emotional eating:

Mild <
    > Severe

For severe forms of emotional eating that are cemented with other issues such as depression... it's a whole different ballgame... much more complex. That said, the same tools are used. It's just that additional intervention is likely necessary - from professional therapy and/or pharmacological intervention.

Howeer, the even in these more aggressive cases... stuff like behavior therapy, which is essentially what I'm suggesting in the OP, is effective.

It takes a multi-pronged approach for some people and as hard as it is to have faith in there being relief, you have to. With the right tools in hand, slow positive changes can and do happen.

But hell, when perception is tinted in such dark colors due to things like depression and anxiety... again, it's such a different animal.

I'm glad to hear you've made what sounds like great progress in your life. And I've made a career out of helping people reach their weight/physique goals. They hire me thinking the magic is in the programming, but I can tell you that more than anything I'm helping them cultivate a productive mindset and thought process.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    It's been my experience as a former "emotional eater" that my emotions had nothing to do with my overeating. I changed my diet and in a matter of weeks I had a normal appetite -- no getting in touch with my feelings needed. So my advice for "emotional eaters" is to look at your diet for the cause. That need to stuff yourself with food is a physical problem brought on by the food you're eating; not a mental one or a poor relationship with food. Just something to consider.
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Great thoughts!
  • fullcrowmoon
    fullcrowmoon Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    In response to Alabaster above ^

That's your experience and it's valid, but that doesn't mean it's the only answer and applies to everyone. For you your emotions weren't involved, for others they are. It's not an either/or sort of thing.
  • Marjrides
    Marjrides Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Great reminder to THINK before eating, especially if the urge strikes at other than mealtimes. Do I really need that cookie, or candy, or whatever? Why do I want "X" and can I make a healthier substitute if I am really hungry? Thought provoking post!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    In response to Alabaster above ^

That's your experience and it's valid, but that doesn't mean it's the only answer and applies to everyone. For you your emotions weren't involved, for others they are. It's not an either/or sort of thing.
    Absolutely; except my emotions were involved and my weight/appetite spiraled out of control with the death of my sister. You don't get any more emotional than that -- the cause? The food I was eating.

stroutman81 posts are always thoughtful and on point but in this case I think people would do better and have more success looking towards their diets for the cause of their "emotional" eating. Just my opinion.
  • boophil
    boophil Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Bump! Excellent post!