Finding Time

Options
Hi. I am not new to trying to lose weight, but fairly new to MFP. I am just wondering if anyone has some helpful advice about finding time for the gym in the evenings, or at all for that matter. It seems like I have every intention on going to the gym after work at 5:00 pm. But when I get home, I have dinner to prepare, clean up, laundary, homework with kids and so on. How does a busy mother (that works full time) schedule the gym without it digging into all the other daily life situations? I walk 3 miles on my lunch, but I am paying for the gym and really need to use it. I know that there is a ton of mothers that find the time, and I just need some help!

Thank you for the motivation and advice, in advance. :)

Replies

• janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    <<<<Working mom of three. I get up at 4:45 and exercise an hour before taking kids to school and going to work. Not fun, but not terrible once you get used to it.
  • professormudd1
    Options
    I look at it like this.... Even if you went to the gym EVERY day for an hour, you are still only spending 4% of your life there. It doesn't take a whole lot of effort to find 4% of a day to get some "me-time" in. Especially since many gyms offer childcare. Maybe wake a little earlier if you gym is open, or skip some TV/computer time. Or heck, can you use your lunch breaks from work to go to the gym?
  • rachelmorgan77
    rachelmorgan77 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I can only tell you what works for me. However, I do work full time and have three younger kids (the oldest is 9). I go to the gym at 5:30 every morning. Yes, it's early, but I also know that I have no meetings, no supper to prepare and no other obligations (unless the husband is out of town) at that time. I work out for an hour, then I head home to get everyone ready and my husband goes to the gym. On the weekends, I attempt a long run whenever it works between all of our schedules, as does he. If I have time, I'll go to the gym over the lunch hour, but especially lately, I've had lots of other things come up. And after working all day, I just want to spend time with my kiddos in the evening. But it's what works for you. I also signed up for a class on MWF, which keeps me accountable to going because I know people are counting on me being there (and I paid for it, so that's important!). I run on T/Th, as I've signed up for a half marathon in May and need to get back into marathon shape. So I do my short runs on T/TH mornings and my cross trainings on MWF, and my long run on the weekends.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Do you find time to go pick your kids up from school? Or to take them to the dentist?

No- I suspect you make time for it- because it must be done.

Few people FIND time. Time is like money- occasionally you "find" spare minutes like you would find money- change here and there- the occasional few dollar bills this translates to- a cancellation- a scheduling error snow day whatever- but most of the time- the big money- it comes from WORK- what you make time for... because you must.

Most people who work out regularly multiple days a week- they don't find time- they make time. It's a priority- and it's what they do. It's no just "something fit in" when they can.

If working out is important to you- you must CARVE time out of your day for it- plan it in- pack your bag- if your kid has a random schedule conflict- change and go for a run- whatever. there is all sorts of time in the day we aren't aware of- so you just have to shuffle it around and make it a priority.

good luck!
  • victoriaalice39
    Options
    Thank you. I appriciate all the honest answers, you are all right. I just need to make it a priority. I think that is where my downfall is. Kuddos to everyone here for doing what it takes to make your lives healthier and better. I am well on my way. I will just go to the gym and if the dishes or laundary does not get done, then so be it. I am sure it will be waiting for me when I get my schedule worked out.
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I have to exercise in the morning, otherwise I never have the energy anymore by the end of the day. I also get up at 4:30 am before my almost 1-yr-old and before my full time job to make time. It takes dedication, and I do wimp out some days, but I never regret it when I push through and just do it.
  • ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I posted something similar to this not long ago!! I think for me it's about prioritizing - I basically have to make the choice between studying or working out--- so I alternate. On days I can't work out I stick to the calories mfp advises ( minus last night). I think some of the suggestions here are great, maybe see if the gym has a day care, or if you can find someone to sit ( even if it's one night a week). I know I can't wake up at the crack of dawn, and I refuse to do it, but that's my choice. So I think you should look at the time you do have and maximize your time that way. The way I figure is 3x a week is better than what I was going before, which was nothing!! Good luck!!
  • dallshouse0363
    Options
    I see you taking the steps to get to your long-term goal. You have started incroporating working out at lunch time because that is time that is just your time. You have also incorporated eating healthier as well. Sometimes when we go all in right at the beginning it becomes too much and overwhelming. Now that you have started these positve steps it will be easier to add in an additional day of working out and that should be the goal, because it is easy to add in one day and then when you see you are being successful with the one day, add another. It is a journey and we have to make this fit and work into our life. You don't want to set yourself up to fail. Celebrate each milestone and make the gym a bonus that is just for you. Oh, also ask your family members to help with the chores, there is no reason why they can't.
  • victoriaalice39
    Options
    Thank you Dawn! You are absolutely right! And thank you for walking with me!!
  • blessman
    blessman Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I'm in a fun workout group on Facebook. Everyone is so positive and supportive. We would love to have you join us! Send me a Facebook friend request if you're interested! (My FB link is Facebook.com/brad.lessman.1).
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I look at it like this.... Even if you went to the gym EVERY day for an hour, you are still only spending 4% of your life there. It doesn't take a whole lot of effort to find 4% of a day to get some "me-time" in. Especially since many gyms offer childcare. Maybe wake a little earlier if you gym is open, or skip some TV/computer time. Or heck, can you use your lunch breaks from work to go to the gym?

This. I used to be a single custodial dad. Find reasons and ways to skip the excuses. I used to jog on the treadmill when my daughter had swimming classes, walked when she went to her Girl Guides etc. You find the time.

A great deal of time can be found just turning off the TV and the computer and stepping away from the "modern conveniences". I found once we did this as a family, our relationships just became better.
  • KB5711
    KB5711 Posts: 21
    Options
    I also work full time and have two daughters 5 and 3. I switched to morning workouts toward the end of last year and it's had such a great impact on my life! Sure I have to go to bed a little earlier and get up at 4:15 but I get to the gym 5 days a week and rarely miss a workout. Plus I get to spend more time with the kiddos and overall feel less rushed at night because that's one less thing I'm trying to fit in. It definitely takes a few weeks to get used to but I love having it done for the day and it isn't affecting my husband or girls one bit other than having a healthier and happier wife and mom! I know getting up so early may seem crazy but I suggest giving it a try for a few weeks and seeing how it works out for you! Good luck to you!
  • infinitimonte
    infinitimonte Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is different. Like most people I work full time, however I attend law school in the evenings. You could not get me out of bed before 6:00 am to workout!! I much prefer to workout after I arrive home, usually around 10:00 pm. I tend to do 30 minute workouts, whether 15 minutes of walking and 15 minutes of calisthenics or 20 minutes of strength training and 10 minutes on the elliptical, I know I must do something. I enjoy getting the chance to release the stress of the day and the rush of endorphins helps me focus on studying for 30 minutes or so before I go to sleep. It is something different for everyone! You just have to find what works for you.
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Can you go to the gym before you go home in the evening? It would be hard for me to go home and then back out again.

If you arrange to meet a friend at the gym, it makes it hard to call and cancel.

Can you make easier meals that take less prep and cleanup so that you can get to the gym? Make big meals on the weekends and eat leftovers during the week.

Put on workout clothes when you get home and put your workout bag next to the door so that when you have time you can get out the door.
  • Indiri13
    Indiri13 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    For me I do Zumba during my lunch hour. At night I carve out time for body weight/hand weight exercises (usually while we're watching TV together). We have an elliptical that my husband uses more than I do but if I can't go to Zumba that week for some reason then I try to fit that it during the evening.
  • fallenoaks50
    Options
    I go after my kids are in bed, usually 9-10pm. It sucks, but I do it.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I appriciate all the honest answers, you are all right. I just need to make it a priority. I think that is where my downfall is. Kuddos to everyone here for doing what it takes to make your lives healthier and better. I am well on my way. I will just go to the gym and if the dishes or laundary does not get done, then so be it. I am sure it will be waiting for me when I get my schedule worked out.

I'd say the same thing about getting up a little bit earlier to do it.... often by the end of the workday, with supper and laundry and kids, it's tiring to try to fit in a workout. Many people do, and you can certainly do it too, but it's a nice start to the day to get the workout in early and a nice way to wake up.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, exercise has to become something that is just a part of who you are and what you do...it has to cease to be something "extra" in your life...it has to just be a part of your life. When that happens, you'll find it a lot easier to make the time for it vs trying to find the time. Time is illusive and trying to find time is a passive endeavor...making time is proactive.

There are a few things you need to remember though...getting a good workout in doesn't take hours and hours and hours...and you don't necessarily need a gym...so you may want to re-evaluate that element if you're having difficulty actually working the gym in. I lift weights in the gym, but much of my exercise is actually done outside of the gym.

You're going to have to sit down and devise a schedule that works for you and your family...and you'll need to stick to it. Personally, I can't be off to the gym every night of the week...I go and lift 2x during the work week after I get off work...that's it...then I hit it again on a Saturday. I use the gym primarily for weight training and I do full body lifting so 3x weekly works out fine and again...it ends up only being 2 nights during the work week. My Saturdays are usually a couple hours long as I'll do a lifting session and then cross train with some cardio...and in the summer we may all go and use the pool on a Sunday or something.

Gym selection is also important...I chose my gym because it has a lot of family friendly features, including a family membership. They have a drop off child care for ages 6 months to 5 years and then a separate child care area with ping pong tables, a study area, t.v. etc for 5 years to 12 years that is also supervised. We also get family membership discounts on swim lessons and other classes and many of them are free like the "Daddy and Me Gym Time" on Sunday mornings with my almost 4 y.o.

Of course, the more stuff, the more it's going to cost...I feel that our's (Jewish Community Center) is a good value at $93 per month for the whole family...it is far cheaper than the Sports and Wellness Center we were looking at with similar amenities. You may definitely want to look into a community center rather than your prototypical gym.

At any rate, a lot of things must be considered and planned out...it's not easy, but it is doable.
  • nmpx
    nmpx Posts: 76
    Options
    I don't work full time, but I do go to college in the mornings. I got to the gym after my classes, just about everyday. My child is in daycare the whole day (no part-time available) so I am making the most out of my time. I know it must be harder for you working full time but I believe it can be done. I tried "dieting" a few times, never worked for me because I always viewed exercise as an "extra" as someone else said. Now, I take getting to the gym just as important as my school work. I know if I don't make it, I'll be kicking myself in the *kitten* for it later. The way I feel after a workout at the gym (yes, it must be at a gym. that atmosphere pushes me harder and i truly enjoy it) makes me happier throughout the whole day.
  • alpacino9
    Options
    don't find time... make time!