I want to start running...need advise please

2»

Replies

• JaniceKW
    JaniceKW Posts: 6 Member
    You could also check into if your local running stores offer clinics. I started a "Learn to Run" clinic last week, the goal is to be able to run a 5K at the end of the program. This clinic is a little less intense than the stores regular 5K clinic.. Did a similar clinic about 10 years ago and it was great! I stopped running due to injuries and have just started back again.

On the clinic night they have a 30 minute info session then you go for the run. The info sessions are about various topics including: choosing & being fit for the correct shoes, apparel, nutrition & hydration and injury prevention. The store also has a Run Club that's free to join 2 days a week for extra practice. For me the best things about joining a clinic are that it keeps me motivated to keep going and I get to meet great new people!
  • tamcrit
    tamcrit Posts: 340 Member
    I didn't read through all the responses, so this may have already been said, but I wanteed to reply as you are similar to where I was 4 years ago, so hopefully this will give you a little motivation and inspiration. Feel free to friend me if you'd like and ask me any other questions you may have.

Four years ago (January 2010), I was 42 years old, weighed 206 pounds and was very out of shape, but wanted to get active again and lose the weight. I started with the Couch to 5K program and believe me when I tell you, I could barely make it through the running intervals when I first started and I had to repeat a few weeks, as I proceeded in the program. But that was okay and I stuck with it. I ran a 2 mile event in March 2010, my first 5K in May 2010 and I just kept going and pushing a little farther each week. I ran my first 10K in October 2010 and believe it or not, my first half marathon in January 2011, just a year after starting to run. By August 2010, I had lost 50 pounds and I have now lost a total of 70 calories, consider myself a real runner, and I love running. I have now run a total of 13 half marathons and am running #14 this coming Sunday. I have lost count of how many 5Ks and 10Ks I have done, but there is a long lost on my Profile page. Once I got started, I found that I loved it, and I got hooked and wanted to do more. And yes, the "runner's high" is real!! It is great stress relief and I enjoy running outside, getting fresh air, and enjoying my surroundings...running on a treadmill is boring for me.

As far as your questions, the Couch to 5K Program is a great way to start and build up gradually. After I completed that program, I continued on with the Bridge to 10K Program and then into a Half Marathon training program. The Runners World website and magazine have great information for beginners and all running levels. I also recommend reading "The Courage to Start" by John Bingham, and any of his other books, and just start imersing yourself into the world of running. The running community is full of great people and they all started out new at one time too, so they are generally very gracious in helping you out and offering advice, but you will have to experiment and learn what works for you. In terms of shoes, if you have a local running specialty store, go there. They will analyze your gait and them make appropriate shoe recommendations. My main advice would be to take it slow. Take the advice of others, try things out, but ultimately learn what works best for you. Don't worry if you are slow...I am still slow, but I continue to get faster, and that is okay. You will be amazed at what your mind and body can do. I still amaze myself everday that I have come this far, and if I can do it, anyone can. Good luck and feel free to friend me or message me with any other questions.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Please be mindful that running, or even jogging, at 230+ lbs is going to put terrible strain on your joints. It will kill your ankles and knees and it is hard to maintain proper form.

I was bigger than you when I started my weight loss process and I can't even imagine running at that weight.

Start with walking, then walk faster, then walk faster and farther. Take up jogging much later. Your joints (and lower back) will thank you.

Edited to add: I eventually did the C25K program this past summer and taught myself to run 3.1 miles. I had never run before in my life. However, I was about 155 lbs when I did it and even then, I felt it on my joints. Now I jog often, and at 143 lbs, it is easier. I walked and learned how to power walk with proper form and then jog with proper form.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Ditto, triple, etc etc. etc. c25k. It really does work. I used the Zen Labs app but there are many out there.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    Please be mindful that running, or even jogging, at 230+ lbs is going to put terrible strain on your joints. It will kill your ankles and knees and it is hard to maintain proper form.

I was bigger than you when I started my weight loss process and I can't even imagine running at that weight.

Start with walking, then walk faster, then walk faster and farther. Take up jogging much later. Your joints (and lower back) will thank you.

I don't agree with this.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member

I don't agree with this.

You don't have to. We all share our own experiences and it is important to have varied perspectives to make an informed choice.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    I may get blasted between the running lights for this advice, but my advice to you is to not start running at this time. The factors you spell out in your initial post lead me to believe that you will be courting joint injuries in no time. I would rather see you put off starting a running program until you were at 160 or less. Running increases the forces you put on your joints by as much as 5 times your weight. Joints don't take to that too well, especially as we get older. I'd rather see you walk until you reach a lower weight, then try running.

Yes, there are many people who are heavy that run. That doesn't mean they aren't doing harm to their joints. Losing weight does not have to include running. If it is something you've never done before, it is something you can put off for a while longer. Putting it off may mean that you'll be able to enjoy it longer, should you find it to your liking.

I'm not really gong to "blast" you, but I'll just point out a flaw in your logic.

"That doesn't mean they aren't doing harm to their joints."

Nor does running when you are heavy mean you ARE doing harm to your joints. Everyone is different... lots of people tolerate running quite well.

I started running when I was 317 pounds. I'm STILL 250. I've run a total in the last 23 months of just over 1600 miles. If I waited until I was "light enough" to run safely I would NEVER have started, and running has changed my life.

C25K is about as low impact as running gets to start out... I recommend the OP give it a try, but ALWAYS listen to your body... don't push too hard, and take an extra rest day if your body is telling you to back off.

Another person suggesting that a person shouldn't because they are "too big" Wow. Loved the reply. You are 100% correct. Running changed my life as well.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    I'm not an expert on running by any means, but I can say this, I used to never be able to run a mile before, and I think it was in part, (other than being out of shape) because I would start off to fast, and not be able to hang in there for the full mile. I've found that if I start off at around 4.2mph, and keep it right around there for the beginning of the mile, I can increase it more towards the end, to around 5-6mph. I actually love running. I love making little goals for myself, like beating my times, unfortunately, I have really bad knees, and they act up whenever I try running. I still do it from time to time, but I can't do it as often as I'd like. Good luck!!!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Most replies told the OP to listen to their body. If their body says running is too much then they get the message. If their body responds well to it, go with it. The blanket comments about injury are about as accurate as the blanked weightloss and fitness headlines on tabloids.
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    I have very similar stats as you so I thought I'd offer some of what I experienced when I started.

What advice would you give to someone looking to get started?
    -Start now. There is no reason you have to wait until March to get started.
    -"6 minutes or 16 minutes, a mile is a mile." The first time I ran as an adult my mile time was 15.43. I improved to 15.03 after 5 weeks. Now, I can maintain a pretty steady pace but I'm still a snail and there's nothing wrong with that.
    -If you can, find a running club or a beginning runners training program. Apps are fine but nothing beats having a bunch of newbie penguins out there with you huffing for air and red-faced. Lots of running stores do 5k training programs.

What is the best app to use for running? I was interested in C25K but am open to suggestions.
    -I don't like any of them because I don't like that they can't be individualized but if I had to pick one it would be Zombies, Run!

What online sites are useful for a beginner runner?
    -I like the runner's world forums and the running ahead forums. Some people are elitist jerks on these sites and if you post will make you feel like because you're slow or new that you aren't a "real" runner. Just ignore them. There are lots of supportive people there. MFP also has a nice little running community.

What are the best type of running shoes to get? (I already found 2 running stores in my area to get fitted at)
    -The best type is whatever the person that analyzes your gate tells you get combined with what you feel comfortable with and what you can afford.

Tips/ suggestions?
    -Just lace up and get out there and do it. And, don't feel discouraged if others are faster, or run farther or for longer. I feel it applies to running in general-run your own race at your own pace.
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    I wouldn't suggest running at this height and weight. I think the risk of back and knee injury is too high at this weight.
    I'd suggest walking laps in the pool, walking, moving to low carb diet plan, and getting your weight down quite a bit before running.
    the physics of running is just hard and running is injury prone. I run and I've run for years but I have orthotics, knee supports and I weigh 175 and am 5 7. I use Newton's and had to spend considerable time on retraining my gait so as not to be a heel planter. if you make mistakes running at this weight they can be really injurious.

slow down, you're doing great changing your eating habits on MFP and losing the weight. but let's get your weight off quite a bit before running.

walking laps in the pool will build your core muscle and walking on dry land will build your bone density. stay low carb and let the weight come off and worry about running in a year or so.
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    So much great advice here that I wished I knew when I started running.

My tips - infinity x infinity re getting fitted for shoes. Make sure the store video's you running on a treadmill so they can see how your ankles and knees work and can recommend shoes that suit your gait or fix any problems such as pronation or whatever.

Good quality sports bra and running pants. You don't have to spend a fortune on trendy lycra gym-wear but if you can afford it get some compression running tights. I wear 2XU skins to stop the wobble and chafing.

C25K is a fantastic way to get started. It was the only way I could ever get to run any more than 500 meters.

If you feel like it's too much, slow down and walk until you feel you can run again. There is no hurry or urgency - take your time.

Ditto if you get an injury.

Stretch stretch stretch.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member

I don't agree with this.

You don't have to. We all share our own experiences and it is important to have varied perspectives to make an informed choice.

::sigh::

Yes, we all share our experiences, but I believe the "I don't agree with this." was directed at the following statement in your post.

"It will kill your ankles and knees and it is hard to maintain proper form."

I can't disagree more. It is true that it MAY harm your ankles and knees... it is pretty common knowledge that running can be harmful if it is pursued too aggressively... especially for beginners.

But C25K is a great way to get started running. There are many, MANY people who can and do run very successfully even when they have a lot of weight to lose.

There is no harm in trying running if you are smart about it and don't push too far too fast.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,211 Member
    oh, it's not that cold out. bundle up and head out for some walk-runs!! running counts as double in the winter.

You are absolutely correct. It isn't that cold out. Today was in the 50's here and I had the windows opened. Just to clarify, the main reason for my decision to wait until March is because I am currently doing a fitness program. It is a 12 week progressive fitness program that takes me right into the end of February. I made a goal for myself to do this program from start to finish. I want to complete this goal before adding in another one. Sorry I did not make that clear in my original post. I thought it wasn't important to fully explain at the time. :smile:
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,211 Member
    To everyone who replied with concerns about my size and risk of potential injuries.

I truly appreciate you pointing out different views. It definitely is something to take into consideration. I am also at risk injuring myself kickboxing but I do that on a regular basis, with ease to boot! I am well aware of potential injuries that may or may not go along with various exercise for somebody of my size. Through past and current experiences I have learned to listen to my body. I let my body dictate how much or how little of something I participate in. I know myself best and I honestly believe I can handle it. When I start, if I discover I cannot handle it or do not enjoy it I can always abandon my plan. There is no shame in that. At least I have the victory of giving something new a try!

With that being said, I have already discussed my weight loss plans as well as exercise plans with my doctor at my recent visit. (To monitor my progress) My doctor has already given me the green light to go ahead with running. He told me "There is no reason why I physically should not be able to do it." He also advised to listen to my body and not push myself too hard. This is something I was already well aware of and already do.

Thanks again for your views. I appreciate hearing various views. :flowerforyou:
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    To everyone who replied with concerns about my size and risk of potential injuries.

I truly appreciate you pointing out different views. It definitely is something to take into consideration. I am also at risk injuring myself kickboxing but I do that on a regular basis, with ease to boot! I am well aware of potential injuries that may or may not go along with various exercise for somebody of my size. Through past and current experiences I have learned to listen to my body. I let my body dictate how much or how little of something I participate in. I know myself best and I honestly believe I can handle it. When I start, if I discover I cannot handle it or do not enjoy it I can always abandon my plan. There is no shame in that. At least I have the victory of giving something new a try!

With that being said, I have already discussed my weight loss plans as well as exercise plans with my doctor at my recent visit. (To monitor my progress) My doctor has already given me the green light to go ahead with running. He told me "There is no reason why I physically should not be able to do it." He also advised to listen to my body and not push myself too hard. This is something I was already well aware of and already do.

Thanks again for your views. I appreciate hearing various views. :flowerforyou:

Hmmm ... maybe doctors are better sources of medical advice than a collective online. :smile:

Take it easy when you start; set realistic, reachable goals for your initial weeks running; take whatever steps you need to make it as enjoyable as possible. Running can be a great release if you approach it with the right mindset. Go out at a comfortable pace ... if that is 10, 12, 15, or 17 minutes per mile so be it. Running on a track has the advantage of no matter what, you're close to where you started ... great for a timed run or if you're worried about getting worn out too soon. Running a road gets you out and about. A trail gets you out into nature. All have their pros and cons and their advocates so pick one and go with it. Try them all out and see which fits you best. The main thing is to get out and get active.
  • Nettabee
    Nettabee Posts: 296 Member
    Bump! I'm also interested in going from a walker to a jogger.
  • phuckingbadasscutie
    phuckingbadasscutie Posts: 1,619 Member
    I love running, that being said if I push myself to hard to fast I hate it. Start slow and set small goals like make it 1/4 mile etc. Once you get in the groove you'll be so proud of yourself you'll want to keep setting more goals. I hope you find the "runners high" because it's a great feeling. Good luck :-)
  • jcast92
    jcast92 Posts: 144 Member
    Hi everyone. I have been thinking about it for a while now and I would like to give running a try. I searched the forums and just didn't find the information I was looking for.

A little background on me. I will turn 41 next month. I restarted my journey on MFP at the end of October 2013. Currently I am 5'1" and 234 lbs. Since restarting this journey I have lost several inches and 15 lbs since beginning. I currently work out 6 days a week, at home, alternating cardio and weights. Right now I am lifting 5-8lb weights and working my way up to heavier ones. I am going at my own pace and have seen so many changes for the better since restarting.

One of my goals is to begin running and eventually participate in 5Ks with my bestie. I have never run before. I have no idea if I will like it or not but I would really like to give it a try. My plan is to get started in March when it begins to get a bit warmer. I do not have a treadmill at home and I do not belong to the gym. I work part-time and have student loans to pay off so buying a treadmill or joining the gym is not feasible at the moment. My plan when I get started is running outside. My neighborhood is safe to run in and I also have a park 5 minutes away from me with a pavement track ideal for running.

My questions are:
    ~What advice would you give to someone looking to get started?
    ~What is the best app to use for running? I was interested in C25K but am open to suggestions.
    ~What online sites are useful for a beginner runner?
    ~What are the best type of running shoes to get? (I already found 2 running stores in my area to get fitted at)
    ~Tips/ suggestions?

Any advice you have is greatly appreciated. I have already begun to do some research on my own this morning.

I love running!!

My advice would be to find ways to make it enjoyable to you. Running outdoors with good music is what I like, but maybe you'd enjoy something different.

Start slow, without setting goals that are too much longer or faster than you can handle right now. Pushing yourself to do more can be unpleasant, and that's not the way to get into running!

When you get fitted for shoes, they should tell you which ones are the best fit for your running style and your foot shape. I personally use Mizunos.

Dailymile.com is great because it lets you track outdoor paths if you run outside and would like to know how far you made it! This website also tells you how quickly you ran so that you can see your progress over time.
  • effrontery
    effrontery Posts: 32 Member
    Add me to the list of plus-sized women here who love running. :) If someone had told me even a year ago that I would become a runner, I would have been so skeptical, but I've run 3 5ks so far (and I'm at about 190 right now) and it's one of my great joys! Congrats on giving it a go.

It would be fun for us to start a plus-sized running group to support each other. Let me know if there's an interest and I can get one going, or anyone here feel free to friend me for mutual support!
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    All great advice here! I like C25k and also the Runkeeper app. What I love about running is that you get better every time you do it. Someone mentioned the toxic 10 and that is so true!! But once you get past it and get your first runners high you will be able to do more and more each time.

If you take any of the advice here I think the most imporatnt is to start slow, get your shoes fitted, stretch after your walk/run and have fun.
  • effrontery
    effrontery Posts: 32 Member
    >Finally, Runner's World magazine has some very good info and supportive forums on their website.

p.s. I meant to add to Wombat's post that Runner's World has a book called "Run Your Butt Off" that mostly I adore. It was such a pleasure to see women in this book in a variety of sizes and running abilities. It was totally motivational and I highly recommend it.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/listing/2691065639588?r=1&cm_mmca2=pla&cm_mmc=GooglePLA-_-Book_15To24-_-Q000000633-_-2691065639588
  • calico314
    calico314 Posts: 7 Member
    Bump! Great advice throughout!