Veggies for chili?

Options
MyIdaho54
MyIdaho54 Posts: 81 Member
I like to make a big crock pot of chili that my wife and I will eat over the next week. I use a very basic mix of browned hamburger, onions, kidney beans, no salt added tomato paste, water and mild chili spice mixes. I like mushrooms so would easy addition. What would add to this chili? I make a nice, thick, hearty chili. One bowl will do ya! :)

Replies

• SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I love bell peppers. I went through a phase where I pretty much put them in EVERYTHING (lol). They are a great addition to chili, too.
  • isa75
    isa75 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I like zucchini in my chili. Chop to about the size of your beans or a little bigger if you don't want to mess up the texture of the chili. Baby kale and spinach would probably go nice too.
  • gingeriner
    gingeriner Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i add celery to mine
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Smokey Beef and Vegetable Chili
    Source: Soup Spice Everything Nice
    Makes about 10 cups; Serves 6 to 8

2 tsp. olive oil
    8 oz lean ground beef (93% lean)
    8 oz cremini (baby bella) mushrooms, chopped
    1 medium onion, diced
    1 bell pepper, chopped
    2 ribs celery, chopped
    1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
    2 Tablespoons chili powder
    1/2 Tablespoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 (10 oz) can tomatoes with diced green chilies (with liquid)
    1 (15 oz) can of fire roasted diced tomatoes (with liquid)
    1 (15 oz) can of red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
    1 (15 oz) can of pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
    2 cups water

Heat olive oil in a dutch oven over medium heat; brown the ground beef, breaking into small pieces with the spoon. Add a dash of salt and pepper while cooking.

Add mushrooms, onion, bell pepper and celery to dutch oven, cook until onion is translucent. Add tomato paste and spices, stir and cook until fragrant, add the remaining ingredients. Stir until all ingredients are combined thoroughly.

Over medium heat, bring to a simmer. Reduce the burner to low, cover and continue simmering 50−60 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  • paygep
    paygep Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    carrots, tomato chunks, corn, other kinds of beans like black or pinto, celery, bell peppers
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i add bell peppers, spinach, mushrooms, onions, scallions, and carrots
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Try this, add a can of pumpkin. Make the chili taste creamy without adding a lot of flavor.... Do NOT use pumpkin pie mix.... LOL
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I always use diced tomatos instead of paste, just cook them down pretty good, I also always add carrots, celery, onion, red and green peppers, sometimes lentils, zuchini, or whatever produce is about to go bad.......
  • MyIdaho54
    MyIdaho54 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Awesome suggestions! Thanks everyone! Will try your suggestions this weekend!