Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Cardio or strength training on cheat days?

I usually have a cheat meal once a week that usually puts me over my calories for the day by 500 or so. I usually even things out by being under the day before and after. My goal is to lose maybe 2-4 lbs but mainly I need to add lean mass and lose fat.

Is it better to go cardio or strength training on cheat days? Or a little of both or does it not really matter?

Replies

• beckerkra
    beckerkra Posts: 80 Member
    I usually have a cheat meal once a week that usually puts me over my calories for the day by 500 or so. I usually even things out by being under the day before and after. My goal is to lose maybe 2-4 lbs but mainly I need to add lean mass and lose fat.

Is it better to go cardio or strength training on cheat days? Or a little of both or does it not really matter?

My personal preference would be to do strength training. If I'm going to have a calorie surplus, then I want to take full advantage of that surplus and try to gain strength from it by doing some good ole compound lift weight training.
  • pps7
    pps7 Posts: 46
    Thanks, that makes sense. Although I'm always tempted to go on a run to burn as many calories as possible.
  • londontart
    londontart Posts: 27 Member
    I sometimes combine the two by doing HIIT. I also use this when I don't fancy a run - I can stay indoors instead!! 1 minute cardio, 2 minutes strength training, 1 minute rest etc for a total of 40 minutes plus a bit of a stretch at the end. There are some great HIIT workouts from FitnessBlender on youtube!
  • daniellabella986
    daniellabella986 Posts: 325 Member
    I'd go for a mix personally. Use the energy to lift and do some cardio, half and half. I wouldn't eat under your calorie the day before/after though, keep it at the minimum but that's just my 2 cents :)