HELP! 5th day in & can't stay awake.

Options
I started counting my calories on Friday, and since Sunday, I have been having difficulty staying awake, let alone to be functional. [FYI: It's Tuesday noon over here now.] I can't concentrate, I am taking awfully long to type this because I keep making typos, and I have little patience for anything. All this is not typical for me.

My eyes start wanting to close about 2 hours after waking up. And this gets worse through the day despite whatever I eat or do. I exercise 2-3 times a week, 30mins at least on a stationary bike doing interval training.

My target is to eat 1500 calories a day (my BMR is 1469, TDEE approx 2000) so technically my lack of energy should not be coming from lack of food. I say "technically" because my usual calorie consumption range from 800-1000 on weekdays, to 3000 on weekends. (I suspect I may be in starvation mode due to years of this eating habit, is there anyway I can double check??)

I'm putting my work on the back burner for now because I'm scared of screwing up and causing the establishment to lose money!!! (I do admin/accounting.)

Can someone shed some light please? Before I fall asleep.... HELP!!!!!!!

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Try eating more complex carbs!
  • kmahly
    kmahly Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Give it a couple weeks and see how you feel. If you still feel that way, try upping calories. I don't think anyone should ever eat under 1200, but even 1500 might be too low for you. I eat 1800 to lose... I can't imagine eating at 1500.

Can you post stats? Weight, body fat, activity level? How much are you exercising, and what is your job likke? What is your food like? Are you choosing mostly nutritional foods?
  • joleanrook
    Options
    It's potassium deficiency I bet you! Do you have the iphone app? If so your potassium level is on the 1st page.
    Try switching your regular table salt to Morton's Lite Salt.... it has less sodium and added potassium.

Seriously, not getting enough potassium can really make you feel weak and tired.
    Best of luck!
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It kind of sounds like low blood sugar, but without seeing your food diary I wouldn't be able to tell you. 1500 cals/day is a good balance between what you were consuming week days then weekends, so I wouldn't think that would cause a problem? I could be wrong. My advise is to eat small 200-300 calorie meals, lean protein, complex carb & maybe a vegetable or fruit every 2-3 hours. This helps to stabilize blood sugar, curb cravings and binge urges. If you don't start feeling better soon get into the Dr's office for an evaluation. :flowerforyou:
  • MyWishfulShrinking
    Options
    Are you anemic? I had the same thing, always tired and then I had blood testes done that showed I had anemia. Ever since I was put on iron pills I feel so much better.
  • mleepaschall
    mleepaschall Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try taking vitamin B12 supplements. They work for me.
  • shelled
    Options
    Give it a couple weeks and see how you feel. If you still feel that way, try upping calories. I don't think anyone should ever eat under 1200, but even 1500 might be too low for you. I eat 1800 to lose... I can't imagine eating at 1500.

Can you post stats? Weight, body fat, activity level? How much are you exercising, and what is your job likke? What is your food like? Are you choosing mostly nutritional foods?

Truth be told I've kinda busted my targeted 1500 cals. Because I constantly felt hungry since Saturday, so I ate upon hunger (try to make good food choices of course) and it went up to 2300 for the day but I felt great. It was only when I decided to stick it out on Sunday that I started feeling like this.

My Stats:
    71.5kg (157 lbs) / 1.68m (5'5")
    Body fat - 34.9% (as of Saturday)
    Activity level varies as I'm a work-at-home mom. I may have plenty of errands/chores on 1 day, and maybe none the next day.
  • shelled
    Options
    Thank you all for the input!! I guess I might have to start popping some B12, iron supplements and see how that goes.

I can't "stick to it" for a few more weeks and "see how it goes" as my husband travels often for work and I'm the sole caregiver to my 2 children - aged 3 and 1. Being tired and sleepy like that doesn't help much with my patience level when dealing with them. (I failed to watch my 1 yr old closely yesterday in the shower and he slipped and fell. No harm done, fortunately.)

On top of that, there's my work that needs to be done everyday.

Prior to MFP, I barely ate on most days simply because I was too busy to even feel hungry. But I never did gain any weight from that habit, in fact I lost a fair amount. (I'm a bit confused if that habit is considered more of intermittent fasting, or starving myself.) I hardly fall ill and I feel energetic most days.

I'm on an Android phone, so I don't have access to the iPhone app to check my potassium levels. :(
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options
    It may have been too much of a shock to your body when you reduced your calorie intake. Seeing as you ate 2300 on Saturday and felt fine you could try to consistently eat 2000 cal for a week then reduce that to 1800 the next week, 1600 the week after and finally to 1500. Also, are you drinking enough water? Tiredness is often a sign of dehydration (among a multitude of other things).
  • shelled
    Options
    It may have been too much of a shock to your body when you reduced your calorie intake. Seeing as you ate 2300 on Saturday and felt fine you could try to consistently eat 2000 cal for a week then reduce that to 1800 the next week, 1600 the week after and finally to 1500. Also, are you drinking enough water? Tiredness is often a sign of dehydration (among a multitude of other things).

You have a good plan there. Maybe I should approach this slowly and start at 2000 cal/day for a week first. I drink lots of water (though I realise I forget to log it into my food diary). I have a dedicated 1.5 litre bottle of water that I finish everyday, and then some more. :)

It is not just the tiredness, but a literal need to fall asleep. I just caught myself nodding off in front of the computer. And it's only 12.30pm here. I have no idea how to survive the rest of the day.
  • MsLisaB
    Options
    It sounds like you're from Western Australia? I'm in Perth myself.

I forget to log water all the time. You're diary isn't public so I was just throwing it in there as a "possible". I think it may be more a case of too much too soon though. Supplements may be a good idea but please be careful when it comes to iron. It is one of the few minerals our bodies can not excrete if we have too much. Instead the excess iron is stored in various tissues and organs. If this goes on for an extended period of time it can cause damage to the organs. I have hereditary haemochromotosis (I naturally absorb more iron than "normal" people) so I know all about the downside of too much iron.
  • shelled
    Options
    I'm from Singapore. We have the same timezone, though we're nowhere near to each other. LOL.

I guess I might need to go visit my doctor for some advice on this as well. I just had my lunch (macaroni soup - 100 cal) and it's not helping either. I'm still as sleepy as ever. I'm just starting to wonder if it is related to starting with MFP or a different problem altogether...
  • autumnater
    autumnater Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It kind of sounds like low blood sugar, but without seeing your food diary I wouldn't be able to tell you. 1500 cals/day is a good balance between what you were consuming week days then weekends, so I wouldn't think that would cause a problem? I could be wrong. My advise is to eat small 200-300 calorie meals, lean protein, complex carb & maybe a vegetable or fruit every 2-3 hours. This helps to stabilize blood sugar, curb cravings and binge urges. If you don't start feeling better soon get into the Dr's office for an evaluation. :flowerforyou:

Well said! And very true! Good luck~
  • MsLisaB
    Options
    I'm from Singapore. We have the same timezone, though we're nowhere near to each other. LOL.

I guess I might need to go visit my doctor for some advice on this as well. I just had my lunch (macaroni soup - 100 cal) and it's not helping either. I'm still as sleepy as ever. I'm just starting to wonder if it is related to starting with MFP or a different problem altogether...

Well it's closer than the USA lol

I find 100 cals is not enough if I'm already feeling bad. 300 - 400 will perk me up though.

A check up with your doctor might not be a bad idea. Take along your food diary (you can print it out by clicking on the "Print Full Report" button at the bottom of your food log) and he/she might be able to give you some advise on your nutrition too.
  • shelled
    Options

Well it's closer than the USA lol

I find 100 cals is not enough if I'm already feeling bad. 300 - 400 will perk me up though.

A check up with your doctor might not be a bad idea. Take along your food diary (you can print it out by clicking on the "Print Full Report" button at the bottom of your food log) and he/she might be able to give you some advise on your nutrition too.

That's another strange thing as well. This same meal of 100 cals usually give me good sustenance as lunch, even though I never used to have a habit of eating breakfast. Now it does nothing for me at all. I gained about 30 mins of semi-awakeness after it, and that was all. I had to "call in" sick today and go right to bed.

All this is very bewildering indeed.
  • Timkerbelle
    Options
    Could it be a sensitivity to carbs? Not suggesting to cut them out or anything, but I have noticed that sometimes when I have a bread roll for my lunch I almost slip into a coma. Maybe try eating something with less starchy carbs and see if that helps at all? I feel tired like that a lot, and I can only sympathise!
  • kmahly
    kmahly Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Shelled,

Okay, here are some numbers for you if you like that sort of thing..

If you use the Katch-McArdle equation:

BMR = 370 + (21.6 x LBM)

and LBM= [total weight (kg) x (100 - bodyfat %)]/100

*~~~ So that would put your BMR at 1375 cals. ~~~~*

Then take a look at your activity, which you said is some days doing stuff, some days not... these are the activity factors...

Activity Factors:
    1.2 = Sedentary (Little or no exercise and desk job)
    1.3-1.4 = Lightly Active (Light exercise or sports 1-3 days a week)
    1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (Moderate exercise or sports 3-5 days a week)
    1.7-1.8 = Very Active (Hard exercise or sports 6-7 days a week)
    1.9-2.0 = Extremely Active (Hard daily exercise or sports and physical job)

You said you are active some days, but not so much others....

*~~~ So we'll use an activity factor of 1.3 ~~~*

---> So 1375 cals, multiplied by your activity factor, is 1788. So if you ate 1788 calories, you would maintain your current weight.

To cut calories, it's not recommended to just use a blanket number (you so often hear- 'just cut 500 calories out') but it really makes more sense to look at it as percentages, not just a number. (After all, you wouldn't tell someone on a 1500 cal diet to cut 500 calories to lose weight, because then they would only be at 1000 calories).

So what makes more sense, is to use a percentage. So to lose weight, subtract about 10-20% of calories. So that means eat around 1430 to 1609. For your protein, if you do 1 g of protein per lb of bodyweight, you would be eating about 157g of protein (about 628 calories from protein), but that's the higher number - the number you'll see when people are more concerned about not losing muscle mass while cutting bodyfat. The actual FDA recommendation is only 60g of protein a day (about 240 calories from protein)... so take your pick, or you could even split the difference.

So, in my opinion, if you are feeling extremely sluggish, try bumping up to 1600 calories- which is around a 10% deficit. As others have said, too, also try stairstepping down. It can be really hard to go from a really high amount of calories, to suddenly a low amount of calories. If anything, by the math, as long as you are eating under 1788, you should be slowly losing some weight (provided your activity factor is actually accurate).

Furthermore, a doctor visit/blood work is never a bad idea. You could get your blood sugar checked, cholesterol, blood pressure, hormones, thyroid- things like that. Sometimes fatigue can be a symptom of something else. I do think, however, that starting a new fitness regime and cutting calories, initially, will result in a bit of sluggishness- but it shouldn't be debilitating, just a bit of a challenge at first.

Hope that helps.
  • shelled
    Options
    Thank you for the insight and the math of this calorie counting business. :flowerforyou:

I do understand that with change in diet (especially reduced calories), I should expect some tiredness or sluggishness as my body feels it's not receiving "enough" food to go through the day. But actually falling asleep on the job is something truly unexpected! I never thought it would be THIS bad even though i've already played it safe and set my daily target to be 1500 cals instead of the recommended 1200 cals.

I guess I really should visit my doctor tomorrow. Provided I can stay awake long enough to do so. LOL.