It's just not working

Options

Replies

• kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    did your weekend have booze? Pound the water & give it 5-7 days & u will go back-
  • lolagurlx0x0
    lolagurlx0x0 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Stress. Food. Water weight. Go a month- and if youve still gained. THEN id worry. This isn't a race though, and you will have to be patient.
  • blindcode
    Options
    Please don't give up. Right now is the most critical. Your body is becoming acclimated to a new way of LIFE. If you stop, your body will flux you'll be happier but for only a moment. You'll want to do this again, as so many have. Keep educating yourself and find what works for you. EveryBODY is different. You can do this!!! DON'T GIVE UP! Feel free to add me if you need encouragement.
  • aekaya
    aekaya Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If your ready to quit after a month.. its already over.

Great insightful post there guy.

1. Make sure you have your activity level, height, and current weight up to date in MFP.

2. Do not short sell yourself on calories. Pam, coffee creamer, condiments do have calories.

3. If you did the moronic approach of avoiding carbs for a long time, and started eating them again, glycogen will fill back up and cause temporarily weight gain. (it's ok, it's not fat)

4. Stop eating back exercise calories. If you want to lose 1lb a week. find your MAINTENANCE calories and subtract 500. If you would rather cut slowly take away about 200-300.

5. Sodium can, and WILL make you hold on to a lot of water weight. Don't go crazy avoiding it, but be mindful of it.

It's simple. As long as you DO NOT eat over the allotted calories you will lose weight. And do NOT weigh yourself daily. Weight changes daily from sodium, eating a lot at night, etc. I gain 10lbs. at night before I go to bed because I have my "Flex Bowl" with nothing but carbs and sweets. But in the AM I'm back to normal.

And remember, it's not a defined straight line science to building muscle/ losing weight. It takes time, and trial & error. Don't get frustrated and quit.

thanks!! this is super helpful
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Weighing and measuring everything is time consuming and I'm about to stop cause it's obviously not working.
    I hear ya. I totally understand. Maybe you should take some stress off yourself, step back and breathe a minute. Here's my story: I gave up measuring and weighing cuz it really IS a pain. I made it easy on myself. I only weigh and/or measure the high calorie/high fat stuff now, like nuts or dried fruit or breads and avocados. I don't bother weighing or measuring any whole raw vegetables or fruit or legumes. I do log everything daily to keep myself on track, but I don't really worry about eating back my exercise calories. If I'm hungry I eat, and if I'm not I don't. I should mention my exercise routine is kinda haphazard and not very consistent so don't follow that example!
    Don't despair. You're doing fine. It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle you're after here. You want to teach yourself to eat healthy in a way you can stick with all your life.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat back so many calories (reduce it in half and see what happens). I am not eating back calories and I am losing. When I ate back calories, I didn't lose. Do what works for you. Eating back calories is NOT working......
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Just one simple suggestion:

DO NOT EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES! Losing weight is all about maintaining a defecit. I believe 3,500 calories equals one pound so if you strive to have a deficit of your burned calories from your consumed calories it will work. I am currently losing about a pound a week and burn about 700 calories a day 5 days a week.

Try not eating your burned calories back, I know it will be hard at first but if you are hungery just up your cals to 1400 or 1500 just dont eat your exercise calories and it will work.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    If you're going to count calories, and most folks here unfortunately do, find out how many you "really" need. Go to fat2fit radio and use their calculator. Determine your caloric need and never eat your exercise calories back. For one thing, they're seldom accurate and with the number you'll get on that site, that's how many calories you should eat regardless of your activity.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Just one simple suggestion:

DO NOT EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!

Umm, why?
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    If you're going to count calories, and most folks here unfortunately do, find out how many you "really" need. Go to fat2fit radio and use their calculator. Determine your caloric need and never eat your exercise calories back. For one thing, they're seldom accurate and with the number you'll get on that site, that's how many calories you should eat regardless of your activity.

Sorry, but that makes absolutely no sense. There is no way for a single number to be "sufficient" regardless of your physical activity.
  • bellevillefire
    Options
    How tall are you and how active are you are the first questions. 1300 calories is no where near enough for a active healthy female. You need to find out your BMR and your activity level. At 140 pounds if your anwhere over 5'4 you are in great shape. Before any fitness plan you need to take your measurments and not worry about weight. The measurment numbers are the true indicator. Example a 5'4 female that is around 140 pounds BMR is around 18-1900 cals per day to keep weight the same, subtract workouts and lifestyle you will have your net cals around 1500. You will shed fat and gain muscle mass, thats why the measurments are key. Don't micro manage your intake, eat good size portions of veg, fruit , and lean protine. One mid day snack one afternoon snack and keep moving . 140 is great only weigh yourself once per month and measure twice per month to track progress and keep your cals within 250-500 of goal. Its a long term health goal not a day by day numbers game.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Dr. Lindsey Duncan, owner, CEO and product formulator for Genesis Pure, is an award-winning naturopathic doctor who believes in using top nutrition and “Cleanse, Balance, Build” to create overall healing and wellness. His philosophy includes utilizing nutrition to create an alkaline body for optimum physical health. The supplements I use from this company promote total body health, which encourages your body to function like it should and heal itself. I have been using supplments and yo-yo dieting all of my adult life, and have never found any as good as these. www.genesispure.com/rapha
    Supplements from this Duncan dude are not necessary. This is spam too.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I am doing insanity so last month it was eating back about 350 calories.... I wear a hrm with a strap that tells me how many calories I burn.

Cut that number in half, at least. HRMs don't measure calorie burns, they measure heart rate and then do fuzzy math on that number to guess at your burn. That fuzzy math does not give accurate results for interval-y type exercise like Insanity.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, MyFitnessPal tends to greatly overestimate calories burned during exercise. So if you're eating back everything they tell you you've burned off, there's a good chance you're overeating there.

Have you taken your measurements? Sometimes your weight fluctuates even as you get smaller, so it's helpful to do that. Don't make the number on the scale the only way you track your progress.
  • MarthaNina
    MarthaNina Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Have you considered it is the weight of the muscles you are building up from the exercise? Muscle weighs more than fat!
  • njean888
    njean888 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Something to consider. I did Insanity as well, I completed the entire program. I only lost 4 pounds on the scale. I did not take measurements but I did take before and after pics and it was a huge difference in appearance. Not losing on the scale is super frustrating, I know, but sometimes it helps to look at the bigger picture.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I have gained up to 8.6 lbs in a day from eating and water. So .. do I freak out ? Never .. cause I know that the vast majority of the time, I will lose most or all of that weight by the next morning. So .. fluctuations do happen and it is all about the trends .. and over time if you eat at a proper calorie deficit you will get there.

I have gone for up to 2 weeks and not lost any weight .. it is all about the patience and being consistent.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Have you considered it is the weight of the muscles you are building up from the exercise? Muscle weighs more than fat!
    You're trying to cause me a seizure, right?! *eyetwitch eyetwitch*
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Try not eating back your calories. There is not cookie cutter way that works for everyone. Find what works for you and stick to it. Anyone who tells you one thing will work for everyone should be punched in the throat. Do what the *kitten* you want to do! Try eating a little more and see what happens. You will have to experiment with your own body. Thing of yourself as a project. Give something a try for two to three weeks and see what happens.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Dr. Lindsey Duncan, owner, CEO and product formulator for Genesis Pure, is an award-winning naturopathic doctor who believes in using top nutrition and “Cleanse, Balance, Build” to create overall healing and wellness. His philosophy includes utilizing nutrition to create an alkaline body for optimum physical health. The supplements I use from this company promote total body health, which encourages your body to function like it should and heal itself. I have been using supplments and yo-yo dieting all of my adult life, and have never found any as good as these. www.genesispure.com/rapha

Don't post this stuff. It's just a stupid copy and paste advertising blurb.
    there is no such thing as creating an alkaline body, and trying to do so is dangerous.