"Junk" Calories

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    2500 calories?? who can eat that in a day and lose weight anyway? I am the same weight 184 and i eat 1200-1500 a day (do my best to stay closer to 1200) and don't eat back any of my exercise calories..I am losing steadily..7 pounds gone since day after Christmas, and I work out like a mad woman 5-6 days a week. Mine seems slow to me since i'm working so hard, but my body is changing and I'm gaining muscle too.

A lot of people (like me) eat that for maintenance, and some actually cut at 2500 calories. If I was only eating 1200-1500, I would be starving, weak, and too tired to move.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    This is not a diet. It is a life style change. Try eating cleaner. If it has a label, it should be avoided. Are you drinking lots and lots of water? Green tea? I have a wicked sweet tooth. I eat sugar free pudding and jello when I can't ignore it. Good luck.

Huh...Everything has "labels" on them....Even Greek Yogurt...You eat sugar free pudding and jello? Dont they have a label on it?

LOL You beat me to it!

Lol....I am trying to eat "cleaner" lmfao I soak my food in chlorine lol jk all joking aside though alot of processed foods arent evil either. As long as the person watches the servings and eat at a deficit then they should be fine

I try to make sure that all my food is clean...even the two pieces of frozen pizza I had the other day.

When I first started seeing the term "clean" I thought....who eats "dirty" food. I try not to drop mine on the floor but hey...sometimes accidents happen!

Of course I define "junk" calories as any food that I think tastes like crap!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    2500 calories?? who can eat that in a day and lose weight anyway? I am the same weight 184 and i eat 1200-1500 a day (do my best to stay closer to 1200) and don't eat back any of my exercise calories..I am losing steadily..7 pounds gone since day after Christmas, and I work out like a mad woman 5-6 days a week. Mine seems slow to me since i'm working so hard, but my body is changing and I'm gaining muscle too.

:huh: :noway:

That's likely undereating.

According to my fitbit, I use between 2800-3000 calories a day without exercise. Therefore, I could lose on 2500....
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

Also, you aren't gaining muscle on 1200 calories a day. Gaining muscle takes a calorie SURPLUS.

Your weight loss is probably slowing because you are doing it wrong.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling a little defensive here. I do want help so I appreciate the input. With that being said I would like to say--look at my diary. I *rarely* have a day when I use quick add calories. I was at a birthday party at a buffet. I didn't eat that much, but I generously alloted 2500 calories. If you look at my diary every day since I started--you will see I log actual items. Now, as for the running. Yesterday I did do 70 minutes, but typically I only do 60 minutes. That consists of Walking on a treadmill the first 5min on 4.1mph or 4.2mph (however I feel that day). Then I will do 1min30sec of running between 5.3-6mph (however I feel that day) then alternate walking (again at 4.1 or 4.2). I do that for the duration of 60 minutes. Then I cool down at about 2.7-3mph. I use a HRM--I'm not using MFP's calculation. I'm not using the Treadmill's calculation. I'm using my HRM. I realize that there could be difference in exact measurments--thus why I don't eat back all of my calories.

So, with that being said---I just had T.O.M. last week. I was expecting weight to shed away. It didn't. I eat the majority of my calories at night and they are mostly junk calories.

Oh...and for those of you that are looking through my diary, you will see that I have only recorded "cleaning" as an activity this past Sunday. That is because I was scrubbing floors/walls. I barely recorded many calories.

For the person that said how could I eat 2500 calories and lose? If you look at the nutritional information for the entire week--I averaged at my alloted calories. I realize I went over that day. I don't feel that you can pick one day out of weeks/months and say "that is your problem".
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options

A lot of people (like me) eat that for maintenance, and some actually cut at 2500 calories. If I was only eating 1200-1500, I would be starving, weak, and too tired to move.
    I've been losing weight eating about 1800-2000 calories a day. I am friends with someone on here who eats like 1100 cals a day but exercises and burns those elliptical trainer 800 calories in 30 minutes. I asked her if she's ever hungry and she didn't answer. It is possible to lose weight at 2500, or 1800 any number that's not bordering on 1200. When I first started around 2 years ago I was only eating like 400-800 calories a day, then i went to 1200-1400 and I lost some weight but I couldn't keep it up. With my new caloric and macro goals I feel much more fuller and satisfied with more energy.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Ok well it kinda sounds like you know what you need to do.
    Replace some of the bars and junk. Allow an occasional treat of course.

I would try eating back 1/2 the exercise cals for a few weeks and see if that works.
    And be patient. You will get there.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

If you're eating that little, you're not gaining muscle. You don't lose weight, and gain muscle (outside of some potential noob gains), but netting as low as you are I wouldn't expect much there either.

Oh, and I maintain at ~2900.

For fun I threw your stats into the old TDEE calculator....had to guess on the height though ( I went for 5'5")

Your TDEE is 2700 calories (you maintain at over 2500 if you workout 5-6 hrs a week)

TDEE-20% is 2200 calories

and BMR at 1600.
  • bnsnwldwmn
    Options
    I think you may just have to change SOMETHING, anything. It may be switching to less processed foods, as some have said, or it may be being a little more conservative with your input for calories burned (I use a HRM too, and I'm still skeptical sometimes), or trying a new type of exercise, or it could even be restricting those items with "junk" calories you've identified.

I have to say overall, I'm with the clean eating camp. The processed diet foods are so convenient, and many of them taste good, but I know I get the best results when I'm eating foods in as close to their natural state as I can get them.

I wish I had better advice to offer, but I don't think MFP needs anymore quasi-dietitians. I hope you find something that works for you!
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I think your calorie burns for the walking/running might be a little generous. Perhaps be a little more conservative with your estimate on those and see if it gets your weight moving. I would guess that you are probably only burning about 1/2 the calories you are logging.

Aye, I agree.
    Also, I'm not trying to be mean, really I'm not so please don't take it that way, but I've never known anyone that's tried to lose weight and did so quickly by walking. They always looked the same and stayed the same weight or kept gaining when their exercise was just walking. Maybe try and do a bit more exercising in that long period of time you usually use, an hour of walking you could do half an hour of say, spinning or even for free from fitnessblender.com some HIIT training. It will cut your hour in half and you'll burn more calories from it than you will from walking twice the amount of time. I'd also add some strength training in your routine if you possibly can.

I've known plenty of people that lose weight and never pick their rear-end up off the couch. The notion that walking will sabotage a proper diet is ignorant. HIIT and other cardio exercises can be good for your health but they are in no way, shape or form necessary in order to lose weight.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's been stated, already, but you're supposed to readjust your calorie intake with every 10 lbs. (ish) loss. Have you factored that in, yet?
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    If you are confident in your tracking accuracy, and it seems you are based upon your response above, then your only other option is to reduce your daily calorie target. I would suggest trying to eat 100 to 200 less calories per day for a few weeks and see what happens.

Removing junk food is a noble goal, but that will not suddenly make you lose weight if the total calories stay the same. Food quality may influence how satiated you feel after eating a given number of calories, which may drive you to want to eat less calories, but it does not cause weight loss in and of itself.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I do believe my tracking is good. I know there is room for error--but there has always been room for error. I'm consistantly doing the same thing. I've lost 46lbs doing this--so it has worked. I didn't think I would hit a wall/plateau with still so much weight to lose. (To get to the HIGHEST end of healthy I have to be at 154lbs, so I still have 30 more lbs to get to the top). My BMR is 1590. I've set my calorie goal at 1400. I figure if I was inaccurate at logging I have 190 calories as a cushion. I also stand behind my workouts, because I work myself. I'm drenched in sweat and I run at least 1/2 of the 5+ miles and walk fast the other half. I've never been officially diagnosed with PCOS but I have had doctors tell me I likely have it. That is why I'm wondering if the junk (sugar treats) although are under my calorie goal--maybe that is why my body isn't losing the weight anymore. I didn't start consuming chocolate/special k bars/candy canes/etc until mid December. So, I am going to try replacing those items with greek yogurt and see what happens. I appreciate all the feedback. It gives me things to think about for sure.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,639 Member
    Options
    There's one other thing that might also help if it's not logging/potential PCOS related.

There are people who take breaks and eat at maintenance for a while and then go back to eating at a deficit who have had success.

I also did a quick google search for side effects of zoloft because I thought maybe you'd just started on it but didn't go back far enough in your diary to know for sure. I just hope you don't have any of those other side effects! Geesh!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I do believe my tracking is good. I know there is room for error--but there has always been room for error. I'm consistantly doing the same thing. I've lost 46lbs doing this--so it has worked. I didn't think I would hit a wall/plateau with still so much weight to lose. (To get to the HIGHEST end of healthy I have to be at 154lbs, so I still have 30 more lbs to get to the top). My BMR is 1590. I've set my calorie goal at 1400. I figure if I was inaccurate at logging I have 190 calories as a cushion. I also stand behind my workouts, because I work myself. I'm drenched in sweat and I run at least 1/2 of the 5+ miles and walk fast the other half. I've never been officially diagnosed with PCOS but I have had doctors tell me I likely have it. That is why I'm wondering if the junk (sugar treats) although are under my calorie goal--maybe that is why my body isn't losing the weight anymore. I didn't start consuming chocolate/special k bars/candy canes/etc until mid December. So, I am going to try replacing those items with greek yogurt and see what happens. I appreciate all the feedback. It gives me things to think about for sure.
    If you've been told you likely have PCOS, then perhaps trying something more formally low glycemic might help as well.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    If you've been told you likely have PCOS, then perhaps trying something more formally low glycemic might help as well.

I agree with this. I'm by no means an expert on PCOS but my wife was diagnosed with it. Her fertility doc suggested low carb and from what I have read it seems that blood sugar control is part of the equation.

Maybe try limiting carbs to 20% of your total calorie intake for about a month and see how things go.

You could also try post-prandial blood glucose testing as a method to see if your junk food is causing blood sugar fluctuations.
  • Synchronicity
    Synchronicity Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    In the end, it comes down to your Macros.

While junk calories are not helping your overall nutrition, I suspect that you are off on either the true cals eaten or the true cals spent in exercise.

I suggest that you compensate for that potential and adjust both by 5% for a month and see what happens. Target 5% less cals eaten and give yourself credit for 5% less cals burned while working out.

Best!

Good advice :)
  • buffgirl79
    Options
    I'm feeling a little defensive here. I do want help so I appreciate the input. With that being said I would like to say--look at my diary. I *rarely* have a day when I use quick add calories. I was at a birthday party at a buffet. I didn't eat that much, but I generously alloted 2500 calories. If you look at my diary every day since I started--you will see I log actual items. Now, as for the running. Yesterday I did do 70 minutes, but typically I only do 60 minutes. That consists of Walking on a treadmill the first 5min on 4.1mph or 4.2mph (however I feel that day). Then I will do 1min30sec of running between 5.3-6mph (however I feel that day) then alternate walking (again at 4.1 or 4.2). I do that for the duration of 60 minutes. Then I cool down at about 2.7-3mph. I use a HRM--I'm not using MFP's calculation. I'm not using the Treadmill's calculation. I'm using my HRM. I realize that there could be difference in exact measurments--thus why I don't eat back all of my calories.

So, with that being said---I just had T.O.M. last week. I was expecting weight to shed away. It didn't. I eat the majority of my calories at night and they are mostly junk calories.

Oh...and for those of you that are looking through my diary, you will see that I have only recorded "cleaning" as an activity this past Sunday. That is because I was scrubbing floors/walls. I barely recorded many calories.

For the person that said how could I eat 2500 calories and lose? If you look at the nutritional information for the entire week--I averaged at my alloted calories. I realize I went over that day. I don't feel that you can pick one day out of weeks/months and say "that is your problem".
  • buffgirl79
    Options
    Hey..I obviously don't know how to post correctly on here...I wasn't trying to attack u and I didn't look at your diary...I was trying to do the quote thing in response to one post that said u were eating 2500. I personally tried eating more of my calories back the first time I did myfitnesspal and failed to lose anything. The 1200 to 1500 is what worked for me when I lost 80 pounds after I had my youngest son and yes I do gain muscle. I was honestly stunned that anyone can eat that many and lose weight...it doesn't work for me. Anyway I'm sorry if anyone felt I was bring rude it was not intended to be that way.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    In the end, it comes down to your Macros.

While junk calories are not helping your overall nutrition, I suspect that you are off on either the true cals eaten or the true cals spent in exercise.

I suggest that you compensate for that potential and adjust both by 5% for a month and see what happens. Target 5% less cals eaten and give yourself credit for 5% less cals burned while working out.

Best!

sounds very sensible