trying to eat healthy but still gaining weight.

Options

Replies

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    weight loss is simply quantity not quality.

you are eating more than youre burning.

EDIT: had a look at your diary. it's all over the place. 700 some days, 1300 some days. you need to weigh/measure EVERYTHING you eat. you are either underestimating cal intake or overestimating cal burn.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not consistent - and it shows huge amounts of carbs and very little protein...Start weighing and measure everything, log it all and up your protein - a peanutbutter mayo and banana sandwich for breakfast is not healthy....

ain't nothin' wrong with it if it fits your calories (and macros if tracking them...)
  • psych0kitty
    Options
    Yeah, something is off.

If you're really only eating 800-1200 calories a day, you should have dropped a ton of weight quickly and then run into problems because that's typically not enough food.

The basic principals to follow are:
    1. Drink enough water (at least 1/2 a gallon a day)
    2. Eat fresh, real foods whenever possible (because they will fill you up and give you nutrients, though you can lose weight eating all junk food)
    3. Weigh those foods on a food scale so that you know how much you are really eating
    4. Log every food/drink you consume
    5. Check the accuracy of other people's MFP entries via http://nutritiondata.self.com/ or similar if you are unsure (for instance, Panera lists all of their nutrition data on their website and it's semi-customizable)
    6. Eat less calories than you use each day (you can find an estimate here (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/)
    7. Do not overestimate your activity.

This thread is good, too http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    After going back a few days in your diary I can see that you are not eating nearly enough. On top of that, what you are eating is a lot of pre-packaged food and take-out. Those are sodium bombs which can cause you to retain water.

You should start measuring everything you eat and drinking tons of water. Both of those will help tremendously with seeing the scale move in the right direction.

+1

I went back almost a week in your diary, and you have some kind of take-away everyday, the amount of sodium in take-away food is amazingly high, not only is it bad for your health in general, but sodium helps retain water, so that could be the weight you're seeing.

Everyone is suggesting you weigh everything, because it is mostly likely your major problem, but until you start cooking your own food, I don't see how that is possible.
  • abramerickson
    abramerickson Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary. Your eating high carbs and low protein. Reverse that and you will lose weight. You will lose weight with your current calorie deficit but continuing to eat crap (processed foods, sugar, high carbs.) instead of clean will ensure long term failure.

Also, if you find yourself eating a mayo / peanut butter sandwich throw it in the garbage immediately and eat some salmon, lean chicken or turkey. Eat as many vegetables as you want.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary. Your eating high carbs and low protein. Reverse that and you will lose weight. You will lose weight with your current calorie deficit but continuing to eat crap (processed foods, sugar, high carbs.) instead of clean will ensure long term failure.

Also, if you find yourself eating a mayo / peanut butter sandwich throw it in the garbage immediately and eat some salmon, lean chicken or turkey. Eat as many vegetables as you want.
    not if she isn't counting what she's eating. It wouldn't matter if she just magically flipped her macros, she wouldn't lose weight if she was still eating too much.
  • It looks like you eat a lot of ready meals/heavily processed meals. That can make your sodium intake fairly high. Are you drinking water? Limit your sugary drinks and drink more water to avoid water retention from the excess sodium. It also appears that your calorie estimates are off for some of the panera meals. When in doubt make a new food entry with nutritional info from their website or food wrapper. I suggest making more meals at home and accurately calculating your calorie intake. Do you currently eat any fruits or vegetables? Make it your goal to test new recipes and to incorporate more whole foods. If you're on the go a lot, you can easily preplan snacks to bring. Try mixed nuts, fruit and pb, hummus and veggies, homemade granola and yogurt, etc. If cooking is intimidating or stressful, perhaps you could make it a family activity so you're not doing it alone.
  • becmarkwick
    becmarkwick Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi There,

I have a couple of suggestions:

1. replace your sugary drinks with water
    2. Try a breakfast that has some good carbs and protein that will keep you full
    3. Limit takeaway - even if you are logging it correctly - the people who make it for you aren't measuring it when they make it, so it is guaranteed to be more calories then listed.
    4. try to have regular meals and snacks. I know I can have snacks at around 150 calories, and a main meal 300-400 calories.
    5. If you are eating takeaway as you are pressed for time - try cooking up a batch of something - bolognaise is a great one, and instead of spagetti on its own, you stir fry up zuchinni strips to go with the spagetti = less calories.
    6. Swap your pizza for a different takeaway - I regularly have subway (without the cheese) or sumo salad.
    7. Measure everything.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i think some of the posters on here are ignoring the obvious and giving too many nitpicky advice about the types of food the OP should be eating.

as long as she is relatively healthy with no issues with sodium, sugar, fat then the WHATs of her calories goals arent going to be at all important.

regardless is she eats takeaway a lot if not really the concern if she gets it to fit in her calorie goals. the main issue is that many of the things in her diary dont have the correct amount of calories. there are plenty of people on this website who have lost , and maintained, loads of pounds lost while eating pizza, mayo, peanut butter, taco bells, mcdonald, etc
  • jshort152
    Options
    It is probably just too many calories overall or a high % of carbs or fats in comparison to protein, open your diary to people to view.

Jesse Short, ISSA- CFT.SSC
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    i think some of the posters on here are ignoring the obvious and giving too many nitpicky advice about the types of food the OP should be eating.

as long as she is relatively healthy with no issues with sodium, sugar, fat then the WHATs of her calories goals arent going to be at all important.

regardless is she eats takeaway a lot if not really the concern if she gets it to fit in her calorie goals. the main issue is that many of the things in her diary dont have the correct amount of calories. there are plenty of people on this website who have lost , and maintained, loads of pounds lost while eating pizza, mayo, peanut butter, taco bells, mcdonald, etc

+100
  • betreich
    betreich Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Fairly new to MFP. OP? Original Poster? I agree weight can be lost as long as a calorie deficit is achieved. Eat 1,200 cals daily of chocolate only and weight will be lost! OP says she is "trying to eat healthily..." so suggestions as to what will help achieve this on the weight loss journey are valid. Maybe some people do only have a goal of weight loss, which I agree is their business. But if someone posts here and asks for help and support, that is what the MFP community will attempt to do, which is fabulous.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Fairly new to MFP. OP? Original Poster? I agree weight can be lost as long as a calorie deficit is achieved. Eat 1,200 cals daily of chocolate only and weight will be lost! OP says she is "trying to eat healthily..." so suggestions as to what will help achieve this on the weight loss journey are valid. Maybe some people do only have a goal of weight loss, which I agree is their business. But if someone posts here and asks for help and support, that is what the MFP community will attempt to do, which is fabulous.

the impression i got is that the impression OP is under the assumption that as long as you "eat healthy" then you will lose weight. that isnt the case. (just look at the title)

1) if you are eating more calories than you need then you will gain weight, regardless of how "healthy" the food is.
    2) the term "eating healthy" is subjective. all too often it's pretty much code for i think that the only way i can lose weight is if i avoid all of the things i like eating since they are obviously unhealthy and made me fat. also most nutritionists wi tell you that anything is OK in moderation unless you have underlying hormonal, organ or blood pressure issues.
    3) people who tend to take an all or nothing approach to weight (either eating healthy or nothing else) either end up giving up their plan and binging (because they are denying themselves the delicious food they like eating) or not being able to maintain heir weight loss because they go back to "unhealthy" eating.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    If you're still gaining, you're not giving yourself a calorie deficit OR you might have some health problem that's causing the gain. Consider seeing a doctor and getting your thyroid checked. I have an underactive thyroid and for years, it made me gain weight until I had it diagnosed and got on medication for it.

BUT before the doctor, I'd still make sure you're eating at a deficit. Get food scales, properly measure things, etc. Make sure you're doing everything correctly - then if that still doesn't work, see a physician.
  • MysaA
    MysaA Posts: 4
    Options
    It depends on many things!
    1.For example when youre working out, if your lifting weights then youll be gaining weight but losing the size around your wasit etc.
    2. Look at how many carbs youre eating! its not just the calories! make sure its NO more than 150.
    3. It takes time. around 1-1.5 months to see results!
  • meli_moo
    meli_moo Posts: 10 Member
    Options

I agree with you. Eating too many carbs. Bread is a big no no when trying to lose weight! Eat more lean proteins and healthy fats and drink a lot of water. Stay away from juices and sodas, instead get yourself a zero calorie flavourant if you don't like the taste of water :)
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Uhm do you really put mayo on your peanut butter-banana sandwich?

You need to log faithfully and avoid fried foods. Avoid all fast food for that matter except maybe once per week. Drink lots of water. Put a lemon in it (yum). Keep track of your calories and stay within your limits. That means being aware of that 600 calorie mcyucky's meal and maybe choosing a healthier alternative;)

Evaluate your situation and create some real goals for yourself. Make your goals the most important thing to you. Read books about healthy living. Make it your hobby, obsession even. You have this one life- there are no shortcuts or cheats. This is all up to you, dear one. You are worth it.
  • JojoEffeckt164
    JojoEffeckt164 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Portion control is the thing that will amaze you. Get out the food scale and the measuring cups and prepare for some surprises!

In some cases, when I starting measuring portions, I found that I had previously been eating double (or greater) the actual portion!

I agree! I was eating sooo much pasta or rice... and first those 150g I´meating now looked so tiny. I was quite sad about that! Than I realize that it filled me up though :-)
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I have been eating healthier than I ever have but am still gaining weight. Look over my food diary and tell me what I'm doing wrong, please. I would like to fix things that my family will also eat because this keeps me on track.

You may eat healthy, but over your calories? This could be the reason for weight gain. Try to stay in your calorie goal