Exercises that burn one pound.

Options
I have heard so many different things on how to burn a pound. Like, do a 1000 jumping jacks, which I doubt is true. Or jog for one hour. I guess I was just wondering what REALLY burns one pound. I really like the idea of trying to burn pound per pound. I know that 3500 calories is a pound so that is how many calories you have to burn to lose a pound. For instance, if 1000 jumping jacks DID burn one pound. I would try to do like 200 jumping jacks a day and in 5 days, I would have burned a pound. I really like this idea of losing weight but I just don't know where to start. Help? (:

Replies

• fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I have seen a few marathon runs that come close.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    You could do a million jumping jacks and not lose one pound if you eat too many calories.

Exercise doesn't burn body mass; calorie deficit does. You can lose weight doing zero exercise, or you can lose weight doing a ton of exercise.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I guess I was just wondering what REALLY burns one pound.

A 200 lb person running 26 miles.

A 165 lb person cycling 75 miles.

A 300 lb person walking 40 miles.

Share with anyone who thinks dieting is "hard work".
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    1000 jumping jacks isn't even close. It would take me about 27 miles of running to get to 3500 calories, like 4.5 hours of constant running at 6mph.

I would just log the calories and celebrate after X days when your calories burned total 3500.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    MFP says that if you do vigorous jumping jacks for an hour you will burn 757 calories. This is for a 200lb person. If you weigh less then you will not burn that many.

Also keep in mind that is probably a high estimate...
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way:

To create a 300-calorie deficit today, you can:

Run about 35 minutes at 6 mph
    or
    Skip the Snickers bar
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    MFP says that if you do vigorous jumping jacks for an hour you will burn 757 calories. This is for a 200lb person. If you weigh less then you will not burn that many.

You need to back out BMR from that - so call it roughly 600 calories. And that sounds about right, assuming we all understand that "vigorous" means "keeping up with Shaun T".

Or put another way, you're looking at somewhere around 3500-4000 jumping jacks in that 60 minutes.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

You need to back out BMR from that - so call it roughly 600 calories. And that sounds about right, assuming we all understand that "vigorous" means "keeping up with Shaun T".

Or put another way, you're looking at somewhere around 3500-4000 jumping jacks in that 60 minutes.

Only 2900 more calories to burn!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    You could do a million jumping jacks and not lose one pound if you eat too many calories.

Exercise doesn't burn body mass; calorie deficit does. You can lose weight doing zero exercise, or you can lose weight doing a ton of exercise.
    Yep, this.
  • jwh225
    jwh225 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    OK, so you have your answer. Run a marathon and loose a pound of fat.

Works every time.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

Works every time.

'Fraid not. Not many people are getting through a marathon without fueling along the way. If it takes you 4 hours to run, and you're consuming 250 calories/hour during the run, you've only netted 2/3 of a pound of fat.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Works every time.

'Fraid not. Not many people are getting through a marathon without fueling along the way. If it takes you 4 hours to run, and you're consuming 250 calories/hour during the run, you've only netted 2/3 of a pound of fat.

And not all the weight lost would necessarily be fat, you could lose muscle as well.

Bonus though - you will probably lose a few pounds of water weight along the way.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Ride your bike a metric century (100 miles). Even with fueling along the way, it will burn well over a pound. Course, you have to train to get to that point, and you'll lose weight along the way. :)
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

Works every time.

And not all the weight lost would necessarily be fat, you could lose muscle as well.

Bonus though - you will probably lose a few pounds of water weight along the way.

I burn about 2300 cals for a marathon. Add back in 550 calories for gels, and the fact that I had to carb load to get energy, which provided all the water I sweat out, and the beer/banana/other free food at the finish line...

Its a pretty bad way to lose weight :laugh:

OP, just eat at a moderate deficit and move around doing something you like. Gimmicks tend to fail.
  • Ari112233
    Ari112233 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Cross country skiing all day. About 6 to 8 ours would burn 3600 calories. But you need to eat Extra too so you probably wouldn't lose the whole pound
  • Kuly85
    Kuly85 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Strength train and eat clean. If you don't have weight use your body.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Huh? That doesn't make sense for normal advice, and especially doesn't apply here.
  • bperkins88
    bperkins88 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    jump rope is a good way to loose weight
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options

A marathon basically.....this is depressing to break down because it would take me 6 hours of steady running to hit 3500 calories burned.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way:

To create a 300-calorie deficit today, you can:

Run about 35 minutes at 6 mph
    or
    Skip the Snickers bar

Good answer :-)

I can't imagine an average person burning 3500 calories exercising in a day. Like many said running a marathon or something equivalent. I hiked for 4 1/2 hours with a 35lb backpack and according to my heart rate monitor burned 1,400 calories.