Need help to get motivated

Options
I started in November, and tracked everything and lost 15 lbs. Got to the holidays when I stopped tracking. I gained it all back plus 4 lbs. I started again tracking last week, and lost 8 lbs in my first week. Saturday went to the movies, and had popcorn and it all went downhill from there. Sunday, Monday, and Today have been way over my calorie range. I am having trouble staying on track. I'm 6 feet tall and weight (yiikes..) 229 lbs. I want to lose the weight but am afraid it all comes back. I lost 50 lbs 3 years ago, and it all came back as I got lazy and ate what I wanted all the time. I lost 40 lbs each time my kids were born (so that would be twice). I know I can do it, I've done it before but am also fighting with myself that size 18 is ok, I fit in those jeans alright and I self defeat myself. Aaah, it's one day at a time for me. At this point I need to get one day in & hope to make it from there! I haven't been able to get back on track all week!

Replies

• Ashley121205
    Ashley121205 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    We all struggle and have those times where we lose focus or feel defeated. Don't let it get the best of you. You can do it. Feel free to add me if you want :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Motivation is internal. Starts with you regardless of how many people try to inspire you. All the quotes and statements are meaningless unless you REALLY WANT THIS first.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MalPal2
    MalPal2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh I couldn't have said it better myself!!!!! I feel the same freaking way! I'm 28 and I'm 195 pounds. I'm HORRIBLE at this eating right thing lol. I will do really really good for a month ... maybe even two months and see results... but the second I fall off the wagon... I'm rolling in the dirt miles away! lol It takes me a lot of time to get back in the swing every time I cheat. And It's sooo hard not to cheat when everyone around you is eating what they want and with the stress of every day life... junk food makes me feel good... at least the taste does. LOL After I eat it I feel horrible about myself and my life and what I've become. I just thought to myself the other day... " Hmmm size 16 isn't so bad... maybe this is all I'm ever going to be. Maybe I'm just always going to be a big girl and I need to get over it. " But we cant' let those feeling take control. We gotta put them in the back of our mind and stomp them down with confidence! We can do anything we put our minds and hearts to. Feel free to add me and we can try to remind each other about this!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Yes, motivation is internal. To help you motivate yourself, though, make two lists. On #1, put your reasons for wanting to lose weight. On #2, put your reasons for not losing weight (or obstacles to losing it). Then compare the lists. Are the reasons on #2 more important than those on #1? If not, then you've got your motivation right there.

That mindset can help you in your everyday life, too. Tempted to eat a donut? Ask yourself what pleasure it will bring now, and what consequences it will have later. Eat it only if the pleasure is more important than the consequences.

Some people like "self-binding" commitments (like Odysseus having himself roped to the mast so he could hear the Sirens without diving into the sea and dying). If you're one, Beeminder.com lets you pledge money that you'll lose if you don't meet your goals. It's better, though, to begin by seeking motivation from within.