I'm losing weight but I'm also losing my confidence

Options
So in the last 4 months I've dropped 22 pounds (226 to 204) but zero pants sizes. I know that sometimes it takes a little longer to see the results but my impatience grows every day. I'm in college and everyday I see people in styles of dress that I can't wait to properly fit into and every time I see my reflection or a friend wants a picture with me I want to shy away. This was never a problem before I started my journey but it's seems as though I'm starting to see myself in a really negative light. I'm a fairly attractive person but my body has much room for improvement. While this new found disappointment in my physique is making me work harder when I exercise and keep me pointed toward my goals, I'm afraid it will send me to a place where I'll never be happy with my body no matter how much I lose. I'm just so ready to get to my goal weight (145-140) so that I can look the way I want. I'd like to know how you guys dealt with these types of feelings when you had them, I'd like to hear from people who've been through the weight loss wringer before. Thanks for your help in advance. I'd like to make a few friends here to keep me going.

Replies

• waxwingdesign
    waxwingdesign Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Here's how I look at it: The time is going to pass anyway. Weeks and months are going to pass. You can either stick to it and know you are headed in the direction you want to be going in or give up. It took a long time to put the weight on and it takes a while to take it off. Underneath your old exterior is a new one waiting to come forward and light up the room. Stay on track, hug yourself and remember you aren't alone. You waited this long, you can wait a little bit longer and the pay off will be amazing. Why not take the next few weeks or months to prepare for the new you that is on their way? Keep imagining the clothes you will wear, the comfort and ease you will feel in your body, the new paths you will take. Get ready! Best of luck.
  • JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Do you have pics? I saw a big body change from 221 to 204. Depending on where you lose from first it makes a difference.

A lot of posters have said losing that first pants size was the hardest. I know for me it was. Why? Because I was squeezing myself into those puppies. I prolly could've bought a larger size. So I had to lose the weight to fit in them again. Then enough to lose another pant size.

Do t give up. Know those pants will be sliding off your butt soon.
  • aeec
    aeec Posts: 1
    Options
    First of all - congrats on your 4 month weight loss!!!

When I first started my (serious) weight loss journey, I cried every week of the first month/first 10-15 lbs. It's an overwhelming task to think of when you look at the large goal weight and compare yourself to others. I would lose weight, and see NO changes whatsoever. I'd take pictures, try on my clothes, etc for comparison and still nothing would give me "positive" reinforcement for the insanely hard work I was putting myself through. I kept thinking...why am I punishing myself? It's not even showing.

But I promise you it will show. Maybe not the first 20. Or 30. But I cannot tell you how it happens, but one day you will wake up and realize none of your clothes fit and your face and body have totally changed. It'll probably be a week where you lose a single pound. But stick with it because I promise your confidence will come back like it never had been before.

Be patient. We are our own worst critics. Once you begin the journey you will be hyper aware of your body in ways you were ignoring before you started - so don't be surprised if it gets worse before it gets better. But it DOES get better. Perhaps try rewarding yourself in different ways for small goals - For every week set a goal - you work out X days and eat healthy for Y meals, reward yourself! Trying out a new fitness class? A new fitness toy (yoga mat, fitbit, workout gear, etc)? Ice cream night? Maybe not focusing on clothes or the number on a scale at first will help you take your mind off of the numbers. The numbers really can mess with your head. But making the process fun in itself can make a major difference.

I do have to say, it's a total journey, though. I've reached my initial major goal weight and then some..and still have confidence issues sometimes. I lost so much weight...but I still have a tummy? I still have flabby arms? My hips are way more pronounced? Different challenges will come as you continue...but remember that they are new challenges in a part of a work in progress.

GOOD LUCK!
  • SeaTurtleJenni
    SeaTurtleJenni Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    D

A lot of posters have said losing that first pants size was the hardest. I know for me it was. Why? Because I was squeezing myself into those puppies. I prolly could've bought a larger size. So I had to lose the weight to fit in them again. Then enough to lose another pant size.

^^ This is so true!! ^^

Maybe you're working too hard and not staying in the fat burning range, so you're building muscle underneath that you can't see yet because you're not burning fat. Do you have a high fat diet that is preventing you from showing definition? I'm not savvy on these things, but there are a lot of people on the boards who can explain how target heart rate and fat burning are related.

20 pounds is a lot. You're doing something right. Keep up the good work!
  • godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Women's sizes are so weird. When you're first starting to lose weight, you have to lose 20-25 lb. for each size, but then as you get smaller, you may lose 10 and be in the next size down. Be patient. This is not a race. This is a journey for the rest of your life, because guess what? when you lose the weight and get down to 140, you'll have to maintain that new size, too.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    "I know that sometimes it takes a little longer to see the results but my impatience grows every day"

Isnt this the clue for what you need to do?
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs before my pants got too big, then when I bought new pants, I went from a 34 to a 30. I think your measurements would be a better indication of your success.