Sliced off my fingertip...

Options
maryd523
maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
I was slicing bread on Saturday night and decided to go ahead and cut off the meaty tip of my left index finger. It was late, I had chicken in the oven and a fire burning...so after some quick research I decided not to go to a doctor. Apparently, they can't do much for it, anyway. I cleaned it, wrapped it, and its doing fine.

Who has done this as well? I need to hear your stories and advice. It was quite a large chunk that came detached. I tried to "fuse" it back on, but today I had to accept that it wasn't going to reattach. I had my mom come over and rip it off, since it was stuck on by dried blood and whatnot. That didn't feel very good, but at least it's gone.

Please don't advise me to go to the doctor. I don't need a doctor, it's fine. It will grow back. I'm just looking for people who have done this...

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Im going to say it

Go to a doctor
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Im going to say it

Go to a doctor

Really. There is no need. I promise. My mom did the same thing a couple years ago and called an ambulance. They came out, bandaged her up, and left, after telling her they don't transport for that OR stitch it back on.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    remember to factor in that weight loss to figure out your new calorie goals
  • HappyMeLovely
    HappyMeLovely Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    If you are determined not to go to the doctor then I suggest keeping it clean, watch for signs of infection such as:redness, swelling, hot to touch, drainage or bleeding.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Actually they could've saved it if it was even partially attached, but it's too late for that for you I guess. I had mine saved and it was only hanging by the skin, you can barely tell the difference unless you close inspect it. Always consult a real doctor and not the internet when you are dealing with an emergency.
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Ah I did the same thing to my fingertip in the garden! Ouchie.
    Keep it clean, and keep an eye on it for any infections (then definitely go to doc!)

You will survive the human body is a pretty damn amazing thing.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Why yes I have, a dog I was trying to help bit the tip off my finger (little guy's back was broken from being hit by a car and was scared)

CyHRcMD.jpg

Yes my finger tip grew back but I concur even if you do not want to hear it...go to the doctor and have it cleaned and looked at.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I've done this before, with one of those hand held blenders. Took a big chunk of finger and nail off. I just cleaned it up, sprayed it with Iodine and then used fused it with this spray on plaster stuff.

It healed perfectly. No scar, nothing. I was worried that the lump that had detached would just shrivel up and die, but nope it stuck right back on. All healthy :D
  • SgtZabka
    SgtZabka Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    That's Metal.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I will NOT tell you to go to a doctor, because I wouldn't. My health has been very harmed by "health professionals" and I now treat everything except extreme trauma (broken bone, stabbing, stuff like that) at home. I discovered ways to prevent and treat chronic ear infections, and other childhood illnesses/colds/flus/shedded vaccine infections at home. My child's chronic ear infections were actually CAUSED by unnecessary antibiotics prescribed by a pediatrician.... but it's blamed on her genetics and she should get "tubes".... wrong. Cured, at home, with natural materials and a healthy diet. I digress into off topic rants......

I would treat it at home completely. You only need a doctor if you see it get red, inflamed and the redness starts to spread. Tips of fingers can usually repair themselves, if the bone wasn't also severed. I hurt myself quite frequently. I've cut off tips of fingers and even cut off an entire finger nail once (most painful thing ever- I don't recommend it). I cut myself so often that I'll see a cut that I don't even know how/when it happened. lol
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I recommend making a thread about it asking for advice, then ignoring the advice.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    2nkl6og.gif
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I sliced off the entire top of my middle finger first knuckle below the nail on a veggie slicer in my early 20s. It really hurt and bled a lot. In hindsight I really should have gone to the doctor to have it looked at / dressed / antibiotic-ed. It was really painful and took a long time to heal.

That's what I would do if I could do it over again.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    I sliced off the entire top of my middle finger first knuckle below the nail on a veggie slicer in my early 20s. It really hurt and bled a lot. In hindsight I really should have gone to the doctor to have it looked at / dressed / antibiotic-ed. It was really painful and took a long time to heal.

wait...so the entire portion from the first knuckle up was severed off? like....amputated?....through the bone?

or are we talking just the fingerprint portion of finger?
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options

wait...so the entire portion from the first knuckle up was severed off? like....amputated?....through the bone?

I was wondering the same thing...
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

What. The....

What did I just read??
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I was slicing bread on Saturday night and decided to go ahead and cut off the meaty tip of my left index finger. It was late, I had chicken in the oven and a fire burning...so after some quick research I decided not to go to a doctor. Apparently, they can't do much for it, anyway. I cleaned it, wrapped it, and its doing fine.

Who has done this as well? I need to hear your stories and advice. It was quite a large chunk that came detached. I tried to "fuse" it back on, but today I had to accept that it wasn't going to reattach. I had my mom come over and rip it off, since it was stuck on by dried blood and whatnot. That didn't feel very good, but at least it's gone.

Please don't advise me to go to the doctor. I don't need a doctor, it's fine. It will grow back. I'm just looking for people who have done this...

Thanks in advance.

And to you? Superglue & duct tape. Done.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    1 - despite the fact that you don't think so, it should be properly cleaned.

2 - if you already know what you're going to do, despite solid advice, what are you looking for here? Tips on how to best incorporate it into your daily meal plan?

3 - could be worse, could have sliced of the tip of something you apparently need.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

Sorry I typed in haste.

the top of my middle finger where the first joint is.

It was a smaller cut, not the whole finger..
  • jamebb
    jamebb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I sliced most of the top of my thumb off (through the nail)last spring. It was pretty freaking pain painful and it took longer to heal than it should have because I kept knocking it into things and reopening the wound. But just keep it clean and try not to bang it against stuff. It should heal up fine if you do.

I eventually did just rip off the flap of skin and nail and everything grew back just fine.