I need to lose muscle weight...how can I achieve this?

Options
I need to lose some muscle weight along with a lot of fat weight, but I'm clueless. Any suggestions out there? I've heard of people needing to gain muscle, but I'm the opposite. Thanks!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    a massive calorie deficit with no exercise.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Can I ask why you need to lose muscle? Is there a medical reason for it? If it is just to see a particular number on the scale, I would recommend researching the benefits of maintaining lean muscle mass. It helps support your body and muscle helps you burn calories.

ETA: And the scale is just a number. It is not the end all to how you will look. Body composition is key and having a good body fat to lean mass ratio will help you look good regardless if the scale is a number higher than you want it to be.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to lose your muscle? That's like the one thing you should be keeping.....?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    why do you want to lose muscle?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    why would you want to lose muscle weight?????? seriously???????

I read your intro post and you want 50lbs by april...10 weeks..makes 5lbs a week...yah no...1lb a week would suffice and definately more doable and a lot healthier....you are setting yourself up for failure. Motivation is lost when you do this...set unreasonable goals and limit yourself to very few calories and eliminate foods you love or want to have.

in your profile you say

All that jiggles is NOT gold!

I want to feel comfortable in a bathing suit!!

If you want the above losing muscle with get you the complete opposite of this.

Why not set reasonable goals, educate yourself on how to acheive them and then just do it.

This is not a sprint it is a marathon.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    :huh: I think this is the first time I have ever heard anyone say they want to lose muscle...

There are so many reasons why you should not try to lose muscle, I am interested to hear the reason behind this...
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    If you are in any kind of calorie deficit over time you will lose muscle as well as fat.

The ratio is mostly determined by genetics but certain things (adequate protein, sensible calorie deficit and resistance training) can help reduce it.

Personally I wouldn't get too hung up about it. Just follow any kind of sensible plan and you will probably end up pleased with your results.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    You want to lower your metabolism?

Insane
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Get a wheelchair and never leave it.
    You'll lose muscle that way.

But you'll jiggle.
  • TaurusV
    TaurusV Posts: 66
    Options
    :huh: I think this is the first time I have ever heard anyone say they want to lose muscle...

There are so many reasons why you should not try to lose muscle, I am interested to hear the reason behind this...

Well, I know some women that dont want to be muscular because they think is a male characteristic, but I would love to have more.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Why on earth would you want to lose muscle mass? Please do some research on healthy and sustainable weight loss before you set yourself up for failure and possibly long-term health problems. At least go and see your GP and run all this by them.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    The only people I've ever heard say they want to lose muscle is figure competitors who have trained seriously for years, who have decided they want to be bikini competitors instead

Unless you've been training ridiculously hard for years, it's unlikely you have too much muscle!!
    Is there a medical reason you need to lose muscle? I'd be trying to keep as much as possible...unless you'd like to be skinny fat, with a thigh gap, bikini bridge, and whatever the next silly fad is...
  • cecebrite
    cecebrite Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I honestly am confused with this. I started a statewide weightloss program/contest called Geauxlite Louisiana and they did a full body analysis on me. My print out showed that my muscle mass and fat mass was over the normal range. My muscle was just over so I don't think I need to lose much. I was told that I should bring these numbers down. We have our first meeting tomorrow and I plan to ask them to fully explain it to me because I dont understand it. I am considered obese so I do have a lot of fat mass too lose which I understand that. I am just clueless when it comes to muscles. Thanks.
  • AllieGeorge23
    Options
    Bump for OP reply.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP eat in a 1000 calorie daily deficit and run three miles a day ..you will burn through all that muscle in no time...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I honestly am confused with this. I started a statewide weightloss program/contest called Geauxlite Louisiana and they did a full body analysis on me. My print out showed that my muscle mass and fat mass was over the normal range. My muscle was just over so I don't think I need to lose much. I was told that I should bring these numbers down. We have our first meeting tomorrow and I plan to ask them to fully explain it to me because I dont understand it. I am considered obese so I do have a lot of fat mass too lose which I understand that. I am just clueless when it comes to muscles. Thanks.

the last thing you want to do is lose your hard earned muscle and end up skinny fat….

if you want to lose the fat mass eat in about a 500 per day calorie deficit and keep working out with weight to retain as much lean muscle as possible….you will lose body fat and look great….
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

You want and need the muscle mass.

By lowering your muscle mass, you're lowering the amount of calories you burn at rest. Which then in turn lowers your BMR (basically the amount of calories to keep you alive in a coma).

More muscle mass means more food you can eat.
    Food is delicious.
    Unless is a cauliflower substitution
  • Kitteeee
    Kitteeee Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    idk...your mindset seems unhealthy, on the other post you wrote that you'd like to lose 50 lbs by April if possible...:O, so basically you are trying to lose the weight as fast as possible regardless the health consequences..well good luck...

edited: I can see a lot of people wrote some great advice above, so here's hoping you can take their sound advice.
  • Shreddingit84
    Options
    Thank you for the morning Joke!!:laugh: :laugh: