Is it a bad idea to weigh yourself everyday

Options

Replies

• fullcrowmoon
    fullcrowmoon Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day to motivate myself and keep me honest. I understand that weight fluctuation occurs so I don't let it get to me if I show a small gain, but overall being able to track my numbers each day and see the downward trend is what I like.
  • fullcrowmoon
    fullcrowmoon Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have found that as in all aspects of this journey, whatever works for you, go for it.

This.
  • shells1234
    shells1234 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It all depends if you are going to base your eating habits around what the weight says. Are you going to be dreppressed when it says you have gained half a pound and eat like crap and give up on exercise? That's what I did for three years now I try to avoid the scale for months at a time.
  • DebiCl40
    Options
    I generally weight myself about every other day. If I don't,it is too easy to slip up. I'd rather know if I havent lost anything. That way, I get more dedicated the next day.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    Ultimately its what works for you, I'd advise weekly and others would advise different.
    Ditto. It is important IF you weigh daily not to view daily weights as actual and as others have stated to use data as a trend and not a fact.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    It's a bad idea IF you get emotionally attached to the number on the scale. If you accept the fact that the number on the scale will fluctuate daily and use that number as data to track the overall trend, then no it's not a bad idea.
    Agreed
  • My_Own_Worst_Enemy
    My_Own_Worst_Enemy Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    very-bad-man-o.gif

The 2 best times to weigh yourself are:

1) During the first week of starting or restarting any positive lifestyle change.
    2) During TOM
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I found that weighing myself every day was a real learning experience in just how much weight can fluctuate. I look every day but only record when I've gone lower than my last lowest recorded weight, meaning it's quite exciting when it happens :D
  • Vex3521
    Vex3521 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Trial and error honestly.

I learned a while ago that the scale is just a tool and there's no magic number. I obsessed with hitting a pre-pregnancy weight and honestly did probably everything you shouldn't do.... over-trained, under-ate, took diet pills. And yes I hit that "magic number" not counting on a very different body composition due to body fat%...and the results were less than ideal. I looked awful to put it nicely.

So now I log weight once a week and am trying to stick to the one day rule even if I weigh in other times to check. I do body fat that day also and take measurements every 2 weeks. I've done some day changing with my schedule and I Think I finally have it sorted out where it's best for me so hopefully that holds out. I just changed workout programs and adjusted macros and calories so I might do more checking or I might not but I'm going to keep my logging the same. I feel like long term that's the best way for accuracy, but that's just me!
  • tskvaughn
    tskvaughn Posts: 114 Member
    Options

If you really have to weight yourself then do it every other week or once a month.
  • eat_run_play
    eat_run_play Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    for me, yes it's a bad idea. i dont' know you personally but you get to decide if seeing fluctuations freaks you out. because everyone is different with that and what it does for their morale. yes, you will see fluctuations. could be as much as 2-3 lb between days. doesn't mean you gained 2-3 lb overnight. just happens like that. i weigh once a month.
  • tskvaughn
    tskvaughn Posts: 114 Member
    Options

If you really have to weight yourself then do it every other week or once a month.

I totally agree. I keep a pair of jeans in the next size down and try them on weekly. When I can wear them I weigh.

When I get the weight off I promise myself that I will put on my favorite pair of jeans at least once a week and if I can't wear them and will get back in them immediately and not wear bigger or stretchy clothes.
  • therealblackdahlia
    therealblackdahlia Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    I think it's a bad idea, at least it wouldn't work for me. I'd then become obsessed with the number and not the outcome or goal of feeling better, etc. Once a week is good enough while tracking weight loss for me.

Best,
    BD
  • PlayBall5
    PlayBall5 Posts: 125
    Options
    For me its good that I weigh myself everyday. I have tracked it in excel and have found if I compare yesterdays calorie intake to the weight I am first thing every morning, I know exactly how many calories to eat every day to lose weight. With that said, expect your weight to go up and down. When it goes up it just motivates me to do better that day. Hope that helps.
  • PlayBall5
    PlayBall5 Posts: 125
    Options
    Welcome....I started a month ago and today I hit my half way goal point. I have lost 10 pounds since January 1st. I noticed the other day I am totally addicted to the gym. I count the minutes until I can get back. If you knew me you would think that is crazy talk. My family thinks I have gone insane. I probably have but I have never felt better in all my life. Looks like we have the same cravings. Anything I can do to help let me know. Good luck.
  • ambience13
    ambience13 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday. And write my daily weight in a diary. It's fantastic to look back over, and find where I need to pick myself up :)
  • ashmacs
    Options
    I used to weigh myself everyday, but I found that I was getting too attached to a number and would be upset if I was up that morning. It would ruin my entire day. Now, I weigh myself every Saturday morning once I wake up so I can see more of a difference when the scale changes. This was too I look forward to Saturday's because it means I get to step on the scale. :)
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    It's a bad idea IF you get emotionally attached to the number on the scale. If you accept the fact that the number on the scale will fluctuate daily and use that number as data to track the overall trend, then no it's not a bad idea.

I weigh in every morning, track it in excel. Like today I'm up 2 lbs from yesterday, it doesn't upset me, I know it's water weight because of my sodium intake. My overall tracking is still moving in the right direction.

QFT
  • cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, but, it does not dictate my mood.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, yes.