I can't give up now but really feel like I want to.

Options
I am trying to enjoy running....but I hate, hate, hate it!!
I only ran 3.5km today (had to walk a little of that) and I got back home feeling like jelly and rather emotional but didn't even have the energy to even cry. Does it ever get better!?!?!?
I really wanted to do this but feel like giving up. I gave myself a goal of running a 10k race on March 7th but can't see me achieving this goal.

Sorry, feeling sorry for myself today, everything hurts from circuit training the other day and the scales have increased and not gone down, feels pointless all the calorie counting and exercising. I have been so dedicated until Christmas but after taking a break due to travelling and celebrations, I am struggling to get back into it.
Where has my motivation gone :sad:

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    oh why?

Find an exercise you enjoy!!!! This is nonsense. Life is too short to be miserable. You do not have to run if you don't enjoy it.

I walk and do strength training

Good luck
  • shells1234
    shells1234 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I hate running to!! You don't have to run, exercise should make you feel happy not sad!! You could do a home workout dvd or join a gym and do strength training. Kettle bells are awesome for at home workouts!!
  • CassiLyn6626
    CassiLyn6626 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Zumba is fun and there's loads of free videos on YouTube. Find one with your favorite song!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    oh why?

Find an exercise you enjoy!!!! This is nonsense. Life is too short to be miserable. You do not have to run if you don't enjoy it.

Good luck

This.
  • AMHouse85
    AMHouse85 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Most certainly don't do something that you dislike so much. There is enough of that in life, this is something you have to do for you so pick something you enjoy. That way you will stick with it and look forward to doing it. Don't give up, but reevaluate what you are doing so you are happy. Life is too short!
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try something (with running) that you couldn't do before?
    Run for a full min.
    Run for 120 Seconds.
    Run for 180 seconds, stop do 10 pushups..

Once you complete that.. tell us, that you could have completed that a tthe begging of your journey and tell us you still feel sorry for your self.-
  • balletpolegirl
    balletpolegirl Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Do something you enjoy. Running isn't the only way to get fit/strong/lose weight/etc.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I love running, but sometimes I hate it. It never gets easier, you just get faster. That is the plain truth of it. It sounds like you just had a hard day. If you still want to run, just realize you are going to hate some days of it. :smile:
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Running is hard.....I worked up to running 5 miles, but it took time.(out with a knee injury currently...make sure you have proper running shoes) Even though I did P90X type workouts for a long time prior to beginning running, it was still hard. If you don't have a passion for it then don't do it though because you will get sick of it very quickly. I found that when I slowed down and was not trying to work on speed, but more on distance, I made a lot of progress in the beginning.

And there will be times when losing weight is not easy and you question if it is worth it....the answer to that is yes your good health and self confidence are worth working for. You are worth putting yourself first and becoming stronger and choosing to be great. You CAN do this and you WILL get there as long as you know that you are working towards it.
  • My_Own_Worst_Enemy
    My_Own_Worst_Enemy Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    oh why?

Good luck

This.

-1that-license-plate-1332244752.jpg
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Life is too short to do something you hate! Find something you like if you really want this healthy lifestyle to stick!

As for your goal of doing a 10K - maybe it's time to re-evaluate. Goals are meant to by dynamic, not static. Have you ever tried run/walking? Maybe you could run/walk the 10K. Maybe a mud race 5K would be more your style. Try yoga... is there a pose that you almost have but not quite? That's a goal! How about a cycling race? Or an olympic lifting competition? Or a DVD workout program, the goal being to complete all 30,60, or 90 days! The possibilities are ENDLESS and there's sure to be something out there that YOU would like to do.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I don't enjoy it either and I have to push myself to get 3 miles in. I even went to a running clinic thinking it was my form. I spent a sh*tload of money on shoes at a running store. Did the C25K program over the summer so diligently and yet, I can't seem to enjoy it.

I don't think everybody is meant to love running and it is not for every type of body. The running store people, who also hold the running clinics, said that a lot depends on biomechanics, mobility, flexibility, etc. Not everyone can run the way it is meant to be done.

I persist because I am stubborn and I don't like not being able to do something! I hope to break the 3 mile barrier (mental and physical) and eventually learn to like (not love) running. I don't feel the exhilaration, the high, the freedom, the awesomeness, that runners describe. I really just can't wait for it to be done.
  • Helenca76
    Helenca76 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    oh why?

Good luck

I am trying to change my workout after plateauing for weeks and weeks. People on here suggested setting myself a goal. I thought running was good for me and really wanted to give it a go. I am trying to give it a go, it's supposed to help with my asthma too.
    I cycle, do circuit training, go to the gym and do a body sculpt class and the weight is not shifting. Running was my next option.
  • Homemaker57
    Homemaker57 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I used to love biking and hate running! If there's something you actually enjoy, do that instead. Just being active is what's important. Do you like tennis? Swimming? Playing fetch with your dog? Frisbee? Find something that gets you to move, but leaves you smiling.

That said, I "used to" hate running. Then my hubby said he'd really love it if we could run together! So I started Couch to 5k and have sort of started to enjoy it. Sort of! I'm starting to remember what it felt like as a kid to run - joyful, light, free. I hope running can feel like that again. I won't even care how fast I am, I just want to recapture that feeling! So my point is, if you definitely want to run, start slow. Do just enough that you're pushing yourself but don't feel like you're going to die. I think I started with 90 seconds of walking and 30 seconds of running, and when I say "running" I mean literally as slow as I could run! Starting at my own fitness level made me feel accomplished and proud of myself for doing something difficult, without feeling horrible. Maybe slow it down!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    oh why?

Good luck

I am trying to change my workout after plateauing for weeks and weeks. People on here suggested setting myself a goal. I thought running was good for me and really wanted to give it a go. I am trying to give it a go, it's supposed to help with my asthma too.
    I cycle, do circuit training, go to the gym and do a body sculpt class and the weight is not shifting. Running was my next option.

Google the Galloway method of running. It might help you enjoy running more.
  • Helenca76
    Helenca76 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I don't enjoy it either and I have to push myself to get 3 miles in. I even went to a running clinic thinking it was my form. I spent a sh*tload of money on shoes at a running store. Did the C25K program over the summer so diligently and yet, I can't seem to enjoy it.

I don't think everybody is meant to love running and it is not for every type of body. The running store people, who also hold the running clinics, said that a lot depends on biomechanics, mobility, flexibility, etc. Not everyone can run the way it is meant to be done.

I persist because I am stubborn and I don't like not being able to do something! I hope to break the 3 mile barrier (mental and physical) and eventually learn to like (not love) running. I don't feel the exhilaration, the high, the freedom, the awesomeness, that runners describe. I really just can't wait for it to be done.

This!!
    I am also stubborn and don't like not being able to do something.
    But from reading comments, think it's time to give it up. if it's not enjoyable, I'll just try something else.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you work out a lot anyway. As others have said, there's no point torturing yourself with something you don't enjoy or there's little chance of you continuing it long term.

Remember that diet is the most important part of weight loss so perhaps something there could use a tweak to get things moving again.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on the hate running thing.

I mostly think the PPs that advised not to run if you hate it so much are right, but before you give up, maybe try some other tricks to make it more fun. Maybe find a running club that has others at your level to run with. It might make it more fun.

One thing that worked for me years ago was to start doing triathlons. Your training then can incorporate swimming and biking and not just running. I found that I could tolerate the running in smaller doses and I was motivated to train at it to bring that part up to par with my swimming and cycling. Also, the sprint triathlons only have a 5K run, so your training doesn't have to include so many miles.
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Why on earth do you make yourself run if you hate it? :noway: There's 100s of other things to do. Go cycling, hiking, do jump ropes, whichever tickles your fancy!
    I enjoy workout videos at home, YouTube or fitnessblender.com are the best!

Maybe your food intake needs a reshuffle to break away from the plateau? Whatever you do, keep at it, if you give up now, you'll undo all the hard work you put in already!
  • louiseoxford
    louiseoxford Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I completely feel for you! I signed up for a 10k at work as I wanted to throw myself into running as a fair few of my friends love running, they kept telling me to battle on and soon I will start to enjoy it...I never did, it really wasn't for me, I did my 10k (badly) and then stopped.

I have now discovered that I LOVE cycling, really really love it and enjoy it far more than I ever enjoyed did running. I love spinning classes and have my own bike now to go out on wonderful long bike rides (when the UK decides to stop raining on me!).

It's really about working out what you enjoy and please don't force yourself to run if you hate it. You have tried it and obviously given it a good go so maybe let go and discover what you enjoy :). As others have suggested, try some classes to find something you enjoy. Good luck!