Exercises that burn one pound.

Options
2»

Replies

• sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    If you pat your head and rub your belly at the same time for 78.4 minutes you'll lose a pound of fat.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I have heard so many different things on how to burn a pound. Like, do a 1000 jumping jacks, which I doubt is true. Or jog for one hour. I guess I was just wondering what REALLY burns one pound. I really like the idea of trying to burn pound per pound. I know that 3500 calories is a pound so that is how many calories you have to burn to lose a pound. For instance, if 1000 jumping jacks DID burn one pound. I would try to do like 200 jumping jacks a day and in 5 days, I would have burned a pound. I really like this idea of losing weight but I just don't know where to start. Help? (:

this is why so much of the balance for weight loss is calorie deficit. Not only can you not burn enough calories in a workout to lose a pound, but the gross burn counts in the calories you would have burned anyway just by being alive. You have to subtract those calories to find your net burn. If I do a solid 1/2 hour on the elliptical at a high level of resistance, I only burn 300 calories. You can eat 300 calories in one normal candy bar, or a large bottle of regular soda. Exercise is for fitness and to help you create a slightly larger deficit. The majority of your weight loss should come from a calorie deficit in your diet.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    OK, so you have your answer. Run a marathon and loose a pound of fat.

Works every time.

'Fraid not. Not many people are getting through a marathon without fueling along the way. If it takes you 4 hours to run, and you're consuming 250 calories/hour during the run, you've only netted 2/3 of a pound of fat.

All of that assuming you are burning 100% fat. Which you are not.
  • vegehippie
    vegehippie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way:

To create a 300-calorie deficit today, you can:

Run about 35 minutes at 6 mph
    or
    Skip the Snickers bar

Ha! I love this.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Things that burn 3500 calories:

Running 29 miles
    Cycling 100 miles
    Playing full-court basketball for 7 hours straight
    5.5 hours of racquetball
    Sitting around on your butt for 1.5 days

One of these things is different than the others.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way:

or
    Skip the Snickers bar

A Snickers bar is 250 calories Johnny. :angry:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way:

or
    Skip the Snickers bar

A Snickers bar is 250 calories Johnny. :angry:

Really? I thought they were 290 :laugh:
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    If you pat your head and rub your belly at the same time for 78.4 minutes you'll lose a pound of fat.

Has to be exactly 78.4 minutes, though. 78.3 and you might as well do nothing, 78.5 and you are going to bulk up and look like a bodybuilder. That's just science.
  • AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    This is amazing. And useful for making me commit extra hard to the food side of things
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

Thing that burns 3500 calories:

Sitting around on your butt for 1.5 days

That's how I read it.

sloth-inside1.jpg
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    You could do a million jumping jacks and not lose one pound if you eat too many calories.

Exercise doesn't burn body mass; calorie deficit does. You can lose weight doing zero exercise, or you can lose weight doing a ton of exercise.

+100

OP-I lost over 50lbs without doing any exercise. It's about calories, calories, calories :)
  • BrownEyeAngel
    BrownEyeAngel Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I personally believe you have to put the work in to get the results. There is no easy why to lose weight...