Fitbit questions

Options
So I went to the fitbit site and saw their products but they don't give you a lot of information. It left me wondering...

1. Do you need a router on your computer to upload the fitbit info? It says that the fit bit is Wi-Fi but I don't have a router, nor can I use one with my current setup. Is there a usb cord option?
2. Do you have to change the settings on the fitbit for each activity you do? Example: Do I have to tell it that I am now going to be walking, or sleeping, etc...

I'll probably have more questions but that's all I can think of right now.

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    1- No. It has a dongle that plugs into your usb port and it 'talks' wirelessly to it.

2- You don't have to tell it you're walking but to get sleep data you hold the button on it down for one second when you go to bed and get up in the morning. If you want to track calories from cycling, resistance exercise or swimming, you'll need to log those manually. The rest, it catches on its own.
  • rachelkrueger11
    rachelkrueger11 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It also syncs via bluetooth to certain phones now! That's the one reason I got it. I used to have the Jawbone UP but it does not have that feature. They came out with a Jawbone 24 but it is only good for iPhones now.
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    1- No. It has a dongle that plugs into your usb port and it 'talks' wirelessly to it.

2- You don't have to tell it you're walking but to get sleep data you hold the button on it down for one second when you go to bed and get up in the morning. If you want to track calories from cycling, resistance exercise or swimming, you'll need to log those manually. The rest, it catches on its own.

Thanks a lot!
  • Rak0ribz
    Rak0ribz Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    It will sync with a lot of phones - mine's too old, but most of the newer phones that support Bluetooth Low Energy will work with it. I've been synchronizing via my computer, though, and it works well enough. It can go up to 7 days without updating, according to the manufacturer.