Is 1200 Daily Calories Too Low?

Options
2»

Replies

• becca2911
    becca2911 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    from experience, i lost a lot of weight for my body eating 1200 calories a day. In the end, i regret it. I lost a lot of muscle and now am 25% body fat and don't look nearly as good as i thought id look at my goal weight.

so now im trying to reverse it by strength training, but its still sad to me that for months i ate too little, and lost muscle and not nearly enough fat.

^^ agree with this. I lost weight on the 1200 but at 110lbs (underweight for my height) i still wasnt happy with how I looked. Now strength training and eating at least 1500 net
  • Bliss53
    Bliss53 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I gained 60 pounds in 1 year from an injury. I have started working out and am doing 1200 calories a day and working out. At this point, I just want to be smaller. Not be in plus size clothes. I don't feel anyone has made a strong argument against 1200 calories a day. Obviously if you're tired, hungry, etc. there's an issue. That hasn't happened to me really, but if I'm hungry I eat more...ensuring its the right types of food. I workout 6 days a week. If anyone can give more solid reasoning I may consider it, but in myth opinion, this convo is split about 50/50 on whether it works or not.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    It is for me... I can't go much lower than 1500 calories... otherwise I get cranky, tired, and end up binging....
  • iheartmy1dog
    iheartmy1dog Posts: 207
    Options
    Yes, I think it's too low if you do any amount of exercise! I've been on 1200cal for almost a yr... It's taken a toll on my health! I never asked and didn't realize I needed to take my exercise into account and adjust my calorie intake... Don't make the mistake I did and wait until you have physical symptoms of malnutrition before thinking of changing.
  • Lighaun
    Options
    If you're feeling good about 1200 then continue, if not then base the caloric needs somewhere else. I'm also on a 1200 diet, I'm trying to hit 1800, I'll lower down if I feel bloated or I feel it's too much. Just started with mfp.
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I'm just warning you now, people get snarky on this topic....
    In the end, it becomes too low. I lost weight on it for a while, but then stalled and had bathroom issues. I think I even gained a pound or two because my body was absorbing everything.
    I've been losing on 1700 calories while exercising 3 times a week and feel much happier. If you can eat more, by all means why wouldn't you do that?
  • Brendajo510
    Options
    Depends on your height and other information. For a petite person, it may not be too low. I would make sure that all the information is correct in MFP and let MFP set the Calorie goal or use one of the calculators people have linked. I do think losing more that 2LB a week is overly aggressive but that is just my opinion.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    losing more than 1 lb per week is very unhealthy and you will most likely gain that back

Depends................morbidly obese people can absolutely expect more than 1 pound a week. OP doesn't appear to be obese .....so yeah, weight loss goal is likely too high (which is why MFP gave you 1200).

OP - Fast weight loss risks muscle loss. If you want to get rid of fat (mostly fat) ....you should taper your weight loss goals....as you get closer to goal. If you are within 10-15 pounds of goal...... 1/2 pound a week is good progress.
  • Tabitha_Faye
    Options
    Personally, I LOVE to eat. I'd rather eat a higher calorie diet with nutrient rich foods and lose weight slower (and hopefully have more solid, lasting results), than practically starve myself to lose weight more quickly. Starve may be a strong word, but it's true! I LOVE FOOD.

Taking into consideration that I already have a slow metabolism and reflecting on my previous attempts to lose weight, I have noticed that I wasn't eating ENOUGH. My body was retaining ever morsel in which I ate and, in return, I'd maintain/gain weight, rather than lose.

With experience, time, and plenty of failed attempts, you can begin to listen to your body and see what works for YOU. After all, what may work for others, may not work for you; vice versa.