Well I blew it!!

Options
Hi guys, I am so mad at myself. Being new to Insulin 2 months in I caved tonight. My number haven't been in double digits for the last 2 weeks but tonight...sigh, I slipped and I ate a bowl of raisin bran. I was craving it so bad lol. My sugars went up but nothing dangerous. I feel so guilty now, grrrrr. Vent over.

Replies

• jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    You titled this post "well i blew it", just so you know you only "blow it" if you don't get back on track tommorow. What happened yesterday was not good as you see it, don't let that change the good day you will have tommorow.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I am so mad at myself. Being new to Insulin 2 months in I caved tonight. My number haven't been in double digits for the last 2 weeks but tonight...sigh, I slipped and I ate a bowl of raisin bran. I was craving it so bad lol. My sugars went up but nothing dangerous. I feel so guilty now, grrrrr. Vent over.

really!?
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Guilty over raisin bran? hmm ok good luck
  • somerandomgal
    Options
    Yes really, I am not suppose to have a big bowl like I did.
  • somerandomgal
    Options
    Thank you for the support :)
  • somerandomgal
    Options
    Yes, it may some trivial to some but when you have been working your butt off and overwhelmed with info on diabetes all at once, it is a big deal. I let myself down. Maybe this isn't the place for me.
  • frodopuppy
    Options
    best thing you can do is move on. don't beat yourself up
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    You didn't blow it, you slipped up. Like pretty much everyone on this board does. Yes, your restrictions are for diabetes and not just weight loss, but it's still a huge adjustment and you are human and will get the better of yourself.

Blowing it is when you ignore doctor's advice, eat what you want, ignore your condition and lose a foot to gangrene.
  • socolu
    socolu Posts: 6
    Options
    Sounds like you've just been diagnosed, so of course, you will have slips ups as you learn what you can and can't do. The best thing is that you measured yourself. So you haven't got a head in the sand mentality... We can't be perfect 100% and now that it's done, time to learn from it and move on. You have now seen what a big bowl can do to you... so you'll think twice before doing it in future.

Good luck!:smile:
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Do you consume any artificial sweeteners? I found when I took myself off them I found they really drove my cravings for sweets. No I don't use them at all and my craving for sweet thing and simple carbs is greatly reduced.
  • somerandomgal
    Options
    Thank you socolu! I just needed to vent as I let myself down.
    Kingscrown, I haven't been eating much as far as splenda or anything, haven't really craved sweets much. My vice is potatoes and white bread but now have learned I can't eat either.
  • Mary_Eliz29
    Options
    Yes, it may some trivial to some but when you have been working your butt off and overwhelmed with info on diabetes all at once, it is a big deal. I let myself down. Maybe this isn't the place for me.

Please don't let negative responses on the forums get you down. There are some people on MFP who spend a lot of time making fun of posters, and being sarcastic and rude, but it's still a good place to be for support. Good luck with your weight loss journey :)
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Pick yourself up and dust yourself off. You're on a learning curve. Now you know how your body will react to a large bowl. Good luck!
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I so "get it"! I was diagnosed with type 2 in December and must eat low carb as well. Just know that most people without diabetes here aren't concerned about the amount of carbs they are eating, just calories. Look for friends here who are doing low carb, Atkins etc.

So feel free to add me as a friend. :smile: We can help each other learn. And believe me, I understand that making such a lifestyle change and learning all about diabetes is a pretty tall learning curve.

I blew it myself last night and gave in to a potato chip craving. Good news is, because I had followed all the "rules" during the day, I didn't go over my carb allotment.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    No worries! As a lifelong insulin user I can tell you...there will be days when you eat something that you probably shouldnt. This is the life of a diabetic. No one can spend their entire life without ever caving to an occasional craving. If there is something I really want, I work it into my food plan for the day and make sure my insulin coverage is adequate. Its all part of the process for learning to live as a diabetic. Its a huge adjustment. What helps me is that I have come to believe that just because I am diabetic does not mean I am sick ( I am healthier than many people I know) and that I control that monster...it does not control me :smile:

Best of luck to you and dont be so tough on yourself. Just stick to a basic lower carb eating plan and you will be great! :flowerforyou:
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    well i hope you at least enjoyed your raisin bran, before this guilt took over. today is a new day. stay away from the raisin bran!!!!
  • sarahmichel101
    sarahmichel101 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It is not blowing it, and nothing is ruined. You just exercise a bit more, and the mistake is gone. Even if you are not able to exercise more each day is brand new. If you wake up every morning thinking that you've filed I bet you will fail. However if you start by seeing it is a new start, you have the opportunity to make it into whatever you like.
    Don't be dramatic, be proactive ;)
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I've "blown it" over cereal before. Late night cereal is the best cereal. I used to binge on calorie-dense, high-sugar sweets, so I've come a long way if what I crave is cereal and not a pint of ice cream. Just be diligent today, keep at it. Don't get off the wagon or anything. It's fine.
  • wrenegade64
    wrenegade64 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Responses here may vary a little but all in all, I don't think anybody means you any harm. In my humble opinion, I would think that you blew it if you didn't acknowledge it. If the key factor in judging people were based on making a not so wise food choice, WE WOULD ALL BE SCREWED! Anybody who says they never strayed from healthy eating once in a great while is a liar and a fake (and possibly a cyborg). Refocus---don't rewind :-)
  • LizzieGirl14
    LizzieGirl14 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Every forum has trolls. :) Don't get discouraged. I will admit when I saw the thread title I thought it was something like binge eating! Then I read it and was like "Oh that's it?" But people set different expectations for themselves. :) If yours is to keep your carb numbers and blood sugar levels under a certain level then that's OK. But try not to beat yourself up too much or you'll fall off the wagon! I have PCOS which makes me have to avoid carbs as well (and I LOVE me some potatoes!) So I can understand the frustrations. :) Feel free to add me if you want some support!