Calling all runners!

Options
I want to be a runner. Plain and simple. I just do. I've started with the C25K program several times. The first time, I quit because I couldn't find the time to go outside to run. Then I got a treadmill. 4 weeks into my second try, I guess I sprained my ankle. It hurt to walk and was so swollen. Fast forward about 5 weeks of resting, I start again. This time, it's my back wanting to give me a fit. I don't want to do any permanent damage, but I seriously don't want to give up this time. I just want to ask how long it took you more experienced runners to get into it. Do you have any tips for a newbie like myself who's struggling to work into running?

Replies

• Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Wow... Im addicted and saw someone more addicted than I was during the Disney marathon. This dude had bandages all over and could hardly sit down.... its just interesting to see the extremes we obsessed people go before stopping. That being said, just increase mileage gradually... alternate running with another activity.
  • tegalicious
    Options
    Slow down!! Best piece of advice I ever got when I was first starting! You will feel ridiculous running so slow but it is important to run at a pace where you can speak in full sentences without huffing and puffing and feeling like you are dying. And start small. Do intervals like the c25k instructs you to do. But redo weeks if you need to. You have the rest of your life to be a runner. Don't be in a rush to be excellent at it. Take your time, slow down, and soon you will amaze yourself with your progress. And listen to your body too. Even if you can only run one time a week without injuring yourself that is fine.
  • tegalicious
    Options
    Also! It took me about a month to run longer than 10 minutes. 6 months to be able to run an hour. And that is slow running too. I still frequently only run 5mph.
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Took me about 12-13 weeks to complete the C25K 9 week program due to terrible shin splints. The best things I did to continue running injury free was to make sure to get a run analysis and fitted at a running store with correct shoes, make sure you learn some stretches for after running, ensure total healing before pushing on, and do some cross training to help supplement the running. In you case maybe some weight training focusing on your core. Its amazing how much something like barbell squats will help in your core and legs and make you a stronger and better runner.

And SLOW down....speed and endurance will come in time...no need to push yourself (into injury)
  • tegalicious
    Options
    Took me about 12-13 weeks to complete the C25K 9 week program due to terrible shin splints. The best things I did to continue running injury free was to make sure to get a run analysis and fitted at a running store with correct shoes, make sure you learn some stretches for after running, ensure total healing before pushing on, and do some cross training to help supplement the running. In you case maybe some weight training focusing on your core. Its amazing how much something like barbell squats will help in your core and legs and make you a stronger and better runner.

And SLOW down....speed and endurance will come in time...no need to push yourself (into injury)

I forgot about proper shoes! Very important too!
  • Levesque_7
    Options
    Also! It took me about a month to run longer than 10 minutes. 6 months to be able to run an hour. And that is slow running too. I still frequently only run 5mph.

Same for me! When i first started, i got so winded just jogging from one telephone pole to the next. Just keep at it, it WILL get easier.
  • smithed812
    Options
    Just take it easy/don't overdo it. If you are in pain it's okay to stop. When I first started I got shin splints so bad that I would literally stop, sit down on the ground, and cry. And then I'd have to wait two weeks until they went away to try again. But I kept trying and eventually everything fell into place and nothing hurt. Listen to your body! And get good shoes :)
  • blgerig
    blgerig Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I started out doing run/walk intervals. Definitely get fitted at a running store for proper shoes, it makes a HUGE difference.

When I started running I signed up for a race so I had motivation to keep working towards a goal. I also met up with a friend a couple times a week to run/walk so that I had accountability. Good luck!
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    when I started, I could only "run" at 2mph.

take it slow, don't push it. it's worth it. :)
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    :wink: Yup go slowwwwwwww best advice I never got until a year ago! Made a whole world of difference for me. I also found trail running helpful when I was newer because I got shin splints pretty bad early on so it was nice to run on softer surfaces, but if you are prone to sprained ankles and the like that might not be a great idea for you; watch out for rocks and roots! Alternating treadmill with roads will help too since treadmills have more give usually. Also if you are getting sore from impact (knees, shin splints, back hurts) sometimes it pays to just skip a day of running and use an elliptical instead. Its a similar motion so still works you out but has alot less impact. But running is still the best way to build up for running, go figure
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I never did the C25K program. I just started to run. Outside was much easier for me to increase my mileage. I'd run until I started to feel tired and then I'd pick a mark ahead of me (street sign, house, mailbox, etc) and tell myself.... "Just get to that mailbox and then you can walk a bit" That's what I'd do. Each time I'd go a little further. Sometimes only to the next mailbox sometimes I'd find more inner strength and go 5 more mailboxes. But each time was a little further.

I started of barely doing a mile. I used to run b/c I had to. In the summer of 2012 I woke up one day and WANTED to run. Its now a hobby and I NEED my runs!! Now 5 miles is nothing. I'm pushing myself to get to 10 and I hope to run my first 1/2 this year!!
  • nessa2BFit
    nessa2BFit Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    great advice... it also took me longer than suggested to do the C25K i redid weeks alot... but 6 months after starting it i couldn't be happy i stuck with it i am running all the time now... i did have a huge problem with my calves cramping BAD after a few minutes running... for me stretching is the key... i do calve stretches all the time... if i don't they hurt....

so make sure you are stretching especially the areas that bother you when you run
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    goodformrunning.com
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    On top of everything else that's been said, I'd encourage you to do some strength training and maybe get someone to analyze your posture/form and gait.

With the strength training, having a good body foundation will really help. If your back hurt, it could be because your upper glutes/lower back are weak (common) and doing some full core workouts will help with that. Also doing things like side leg lifts helps with the stabilizer muscles.

With form and gait - I'm just wondering if you're holding your body properly and landing properly. If you're off a little in one area it can throw everything off. Here's a good article:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/perfect-form?page=single
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I'm a beginner runner. I've been starting slow and slowly gain more speed. I wouldn't recommend going full force, in case of injury as you already know. Don't push yourself too hard. You'll get there. Stretch afterwards if it helps. Good luck to you!
  • boys4rmine
    Options
    definitely need to listen to your body. It took me some time to get used to all the aches and pains and LOST TOENAILS that came with running especially long distances. I also read ALOT of info from lots of sites and magazines. Foam rollers can become your friend too as it is important to stretch out those muscles and keep them working for you not against you ;)
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    My tip is to take your time!

I always wanted to run as well. I started out walking really early in the morning because I didn't want people to see me huffing and puffing when I began to run. What I would is walk a block, run a block, until I could run a little farther without getting so winded. When I began on the treadmill I would do something similar. I would run for a minute and then walk for a minute. I would alternate this until I could go longer and longer comfortably. Then one day, I said decided to run a mile no stopping and see how long that took. Listen to your body, use a HRM if you have one and take your time. Always run a little farther the easier it gets for you to increase your endurance. You'll get there! Good luck and keep at it!
  • poorboy1234
    poorboy1234 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's great you are wanting to run again after what you've gone through. As in all exercising, core is the focal point to a great and injury free workout. If the back is hurting while you run, I would suggest two exercises to help strengthen that area. First, would be the back hyper-extension exercises. Just remember, your back is made to bend forward 90 degrees, not backwards. So don't go too far back. This exercise clearly works on the lower back and glutes. The next is the Romanian deadlift. It will target the lower back, but more so in the glutes. You do these two exercises each day, especially before you run, you will notice less pain in the back due to stronger muscles. I hope the best for you. Good luck!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    1. Slow down. If you think you can go slower, then go slower. Once you finally get to the speed where the only possible way for you to go slower would be to walk then you have found the correct speed to complete C25K at. Right now it is all about time and/or distance. Speed comes later once you have built your base mileage.

2. Get fitted for proper shoes at a good running store, such as Fleet feet or something similar. You want someone who will watch you run and can gauge your foot fall. You want a shoe that has been created for your unigue step. And, if for some reason it doesn't work: causes blisters, still causes pain, etc...you want a place where you can take it back and exchange. The local running store takes shoes back (up to 30 days since purchase) and gives refund of purchase price in store credit, and they keep a log of shoes you have purchased so you can look back and see when you purchased them to keep track of when the miles give out (usually 300-500 miles depending upon shoe).

3. Do not be afraid to repeat weeks. It is a 9 week program...for some. For some it takes 12 weeks. If they are experiences runners returning from a hiatus of injury, it might take 6 weeks.

4. The back pain is usually a sign of bad form. Make sure you are supporting a straight back and aren't letting your arms cross your center when you swing them. Imagine a straight line cutting your body in half from head to toe, your arm shouldn't cross that line.

5. The leg pain is typical of new runners. Happened to me as well, and that is usually because of your muscles being used in a way they are not used to. Takes time for them to adjust, this is why repeat weeks are recommended if needed. One way to help this is to invest in a foam roller (might as well learn how to use it now, it will become your best friend throughout your running, apart from your first pair of running shoes).

Welcome to the running world!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Warmup before starting ... cool down after.