Who is not doing the 1200 calorie a day recommended by MFP?

Options
AND how did you figure out your calorie goals?

I am beginning to realize more and more that a lot of people on MFP are not using the recommended 1200 calorie a day that MFP suggests. I've seen people mention they are using the TDEE formulas and other things. I DO feel like 1200 calories a day is low for me but have been trying to stick to it and then eating my exercise calories back over the past year I have been on MFP. I also feel like I have been white knuckling it most of the time. The days I didnt exercise, 1200 was hard to stick to.
When I was on the SparkPeople plan in 2011, they gave me a range of calories and whether I did exercise or not, I could eat up to 1550 a day and lose the recommended 2lbs a week.
I want to change but I am scared to a little because I have been losing on MFP. However, I think if I do go up a little, I won't feel as stressed about not going over calories. Will I be screwing myself over (for lack of better words) if I go up in calories? Can some one offer advice please? It would be greatly appreciated! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    if 1550 worked fo you on sparkpeople, then you know it works for you... play with your numbers, find you comfy spot!
  • thedarkwombat
    thedarkwombat Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Where did you get that MFP is recommending 1200 calories a day? It recommends 2000 for me. Are you talking about people only in your weight range? Your post makes it sound like MFP hands out a 1200 calorie recommendation globally to everyone!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    MFP recommend 1200 PLUS EXERCISE CALORIES.

Caps for emphasis. Nobody should be eating 1200. No one.
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    MFP originally put me on 1200 a day - no matter whether I picked 1lb or 2lb a week weight loss goal. It wasn't enough for me. I was fine for the first two weeks but then I just got hungrier and hungrier, and crabby!

I use TDEE now and my daily allowance is 1642 right now. Sometimes I eat below and sometimes over but my week usually averages out to 1642 per day.

Google the Scooby Calculator, input your details and it will give you a number. Then you manually input your goals into MFP.

TDEE includes exercise so you DON'T eat back any exercise calories. The idea is that your daily allowance is the same regardless of whether its an exercise day or a rest day - its all included.

I still average a 1lb a week weight loss and that's what I want so I am happy and as my exercise routine is quite regular I find this method works best for me.
  • sarahenagy
    sarahenagy Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have to put in "loose 2.5 lbs per week" to get a 1200 calorie daily goal. I did stick to this (while eating back all exercise calories - using a heart-rate monitor so I knew exactly what I'd burnt) for a while, but eventually found it did not give me enough energy and I was not loosing 2.5 lbs a week. So I upped by half a pound a week until I found a point at which I was comfortable. Which was just below 1400 calories a day. I loose weight if I stick to this this, but am not starving.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

i used the above to find out how many calories to eat as well as my macro

hope it helps
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options

^This

1200 is too low for most people. I've tried it and didn't have success before, but eating my BMR and exercise calories back has helped
  • tbullucks06
    Options
    Where did you get that MFP is recommending 1200 calories a day? It recommends 2000 for me. Are you talking about people only in your weight range? Your post makes it sound like MFP hands out a 1200 calorie recommendation globally to everyone!

Sorry - Correction - No it does not recommend 1200 for everyone. I do think its the lowest calorie amount it recommends though overall.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    This is confusing because MFP never recommended that I eat only 1200 cals/day. I have never gone below 1600 or so except by mistake.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

i used the above to find out how many calories to eat as well as my macro

^ this

and LOLOL at 1200 calories a day. I eat that in one meal. :noway:
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I use the TDEE method on iifym.com and it tells me to eat 1900 calories a day, but i exercise 6-7 days a week. I find that a very comfortable number! When I started MFP, it gave me 1200 calories and I think I lasted 2 weeks before I got really crabby!!
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    MFP recommend 1200 PLUS EXERCISE CALORIES.

Caps for emphasis. Nobody should be eating 1200. No one.
    Not necessarily true. Some peoples TDEE's using the harris benedict equal out to that. Lots of factors.
  • feltlikesound
    feltlikesound Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I use a hybrid of the calories suggested by my base workout program (New Rules of Lifting for Women), and what I just feel WORKS for me. I eat back my exercise calories (well I don't always eat them all back, but you catch my drift). This aligns with an MFP setting of 0.5 loss a week -- but I have lost 30ish pounds in the past 4 months.

Ironically, I just looked, and my calorie goal is right around my BMR. Eating back my exercise calories, I land right around my TDEE. Go figure!

ETA: For the record, on days I do not work out I eat around 1500. I generally eat back my exercise calories, so on workout days I am eating 1800-1900. My TDEE is 1917.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    This changed my eating habits. I never did 1200 other than when I was on WW many moons ago. I was, however, only eating about 1400 calories and not losing. Now I eat right around 1900 and have been much more successful. Good luck to you!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet?hl=short+sweet+<span class=
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

Sorry - Correction - No it does not recommend 1200 for everyone. I do think its the lowest calorie amount it recommends though overall.

And who says you have to go with the lowest calories ? I do, because I am barely five feet tall and am 66 years old....but I am in a very small group. Most other people get to eat way more......and you probably do also....:o).
    Good Luck !
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    AND how did you figure out your calorie goals?

I am beginning to realize more and more that a lot of people on MFP are not using the recommended 1200 calorie a day that MFP suggests. I've seen people mention they are using the TDEE formulas and other things. I DO feel like 1200 calories a day is low for me but have been trying to stick to it and then eating my exercise calories back over the past year I have been on MFP. I also feel like I have been white knuckling it most of the time. The days I didnt exercise, 1200 was hard to stick to.
    When I was on the SparkPeople plan in 2011, they gave me a range of calories and whether I did exercise or not, I could eat up to 1550 a day and lose the recommended 2lbs a week.
    I want to change but I am scared to a little because I have been losing on MFP. However, I think if I do go up a little, I won't feel as stressed about not going over calories. Will I be screwing myself over (for lack of better words) if I go up in calories? Can some one offer advice please? It would be greatly appreciated! :flowerforyou:

How many pounds per week did you tell it you want to lose? According to your ticker, you have about 10 pounds left to lose. You should only be aiming for a .5 pound loss each week.
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I began with the 1200 a day and wasn't hungry, but wasn't losing weight. Now I average approx 1400-1500 and I am losing weight again. Some days under some over.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

These are awesome. I take an average to come up with my (very yummy) 2300 cals/day goal. (And an added bonus is that this is the only number I have to worry about, since it includes my exercise burns. Easier on the head.)