Quest Bars? Overrated or?

Options

Replies

• Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Also, I just read that they have a lawsuit filed against them because they falsely misrepresent the amount of protein and fiber in each bar. Not nearly as much as they state. Buyers always beware I guess.
    As I stated above:
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's a shill from a competitor who's suing them over whether or not the fiber counts are accurate, and thereby the calorie counts. It's pretty minor overall. If you consider the fiber/sweetener/thickener base (IMO, Isomalto-oligosaccharide) as a fiber, and you count that at 2 calories per gram instead of the usual 4, you get the numbers they publicize. Of course, they also deduct these all from their "net carbs" count too, but there's absolutely no official standard for "net carbs" anyway, so no gripe there. And if you don't count these as fiber, and/or count them at the full 4 calories per gram, the bars have something like 50-60 more calories than stated.

It's all a BS numbers game, and in the end, sort of irrelevant. If you're eating a lot of the bars and you stall, you probably need to consider them at the higher calorie count. Not sure what the BFD is.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I LOVE QUEST BARS.

I found a store here that sells them individually so I can poke them and make sure they're fresh. Occasionally when I used to order them online I would get a dud box of hard ones.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I just got with cheapo Pure Protein brand bars. Costco seems to always have a triple pack of peanut butter, cookie dough, and chocolate on sale for around $15 for 18 bars (I think it's 6 per pack). 20g of protein and 180-200ish calories. Not sure of the carbs.

They are full of junk ingredients though, compared to Quest.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I just got with cheapo Pure Protein brand bars. Costco seems to always have a triple pack of peanut butter, cookie dough, and chocolate on sale for around $15 for 18 bars (I think it's 6 per pack). 20g of protein and 180-200ish calories. Not sure of the carbs.

What's a junk ingredient?
  • psych0kitty
    Options
    I like the double chocolate chunk. Need to try chocolate brownie. I really only eat them for emergency hunger and feel like that's a great use for them.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I like them a lot. Microwave for 15 seconds, and they are soft and good. I haven't liked any other protein bars.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I eat them as dessert. Yum~ Really good warmed up :)
  • lehendricks87
    Options
    One of my best friends is a personal trainer. He also runs a ministry and goes to school. He swears by them. But, he's also looking to get a lot of muscle gain and is one of the most on the run people I've ever met. :)
  • sriley7682
    sriley7682 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I personally didn't like the taste at all of Quest bars. I like Nugo Slim bars much better. They have around 19g carb with 7g fiber = 12g net carbs. I really like the raspberry truffle a lot. They are dipped in real dark chocolate and don't have any sugar alcohols or any artificial sugars.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are great!! They are becoming an expensive addiction!!
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Overrated!!! Besides After this....

http://www.strengthsociety.com/quest-bar-nutrition-lawsuit/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPo9KCrYKbQ

I don't eat them like I use too

Try the oh yeah! Victory bars :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    They're fine...there is nothing magical about them...personally I'd rather just eat food. I take them hiking, camping, fishing, and occasionally when I know I'm going to be running around town for hours on end doing errand...but they aren't a part of my day to day diet...I see no reason to do that.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    They're fine...there is nothing magical about them...personally I'd rather just eat food. I take them hiking, camping, and fishing but they aren't a part of my day to day diet...I see no reason to do that.

>implying Quest bars aren't food
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I like the Quest bars, if I'm going to eat a protein bar. For the calories, they are have one of the best amounts of protein. Most of the carbs are in the form of fiber, hence I don't eat more than 1/day. I like the chocolate chip cooke dough the best, but don't mind the apple pie, cinnamon roll or almond torte. Some folks like to nuke them in the microwave for 5-10 seconds to soften them; I just eat them as is.

That said, I try to eat mostly lean meats, cheese & eggs as my main protein source. I will also throw in protein powder several times/week, because I can't always eat 130-140 grams of protein as "food." My favorite protein powder is Syntrax Nectar, which I drink in milk or added to Greek yogurt with fruit & Kashi.

By the way, if you have a GNC near you, they have a membership program, which discounts the cost of the Quest bars. You can buy them online the same way.

One more suggestion, your protein goal is quite low. MFP is notorious for assigning a low protein goal. Recommendations are for 1 gram/pound of lean body mass, which for most women is around 100-125 grams/day. There are good weight loss studies to show that increased protein intake helps spare muscle loss & encourage fat loss during a weight loss diet.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Some flavours are awful - such as the lemon, vanilla almond and apple pie flavour.
    The chocolate cookie dough, strawberry cheesecake, chocolate brownie, chocolate pb are great. Those ones are worth the money.
    Just my opinion though.

I agree on the apple pie (haven't tried the other 2), and the others you mentioned that you did like. I bought double chocolate chunk and a sample box. So far the apple pie was the only one I wasn't a fan of. Definitely worth it if you can find them on sale.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

Have the pics started hitting your inbox yet?
  • jonnythan
    Options

Have the pics started hitting your inbox yet?

Oh god what have I done
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I agree on the apple pie (haven't tried the other 2), and the others you mentioned that you did like. I bought double chocolate chunk and a sample box. So far the apple pie was the only one I wasn't a fan of. Definitely worth it if you can find them on sale.

Apple pie is yummy warmed up!
  • sjaykay13
    Options
    Love them. Worth every penny. I use them on the go!!
  • steffipaulina
    Options
    Where do you get them in Canada?

Pretty much everywhere I've looked I've seen them; Popeyes, GNC and a variety of local health food stores. But I live in Toronto, so they might be more readily available here?