TDEE Info

Options
I've been looking into the TDEE format and I have a question. When I use the calculator from http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and even put in the 25% calorie reduction and only 1-3 hrs/week of light exercise (I will probably be doing a little more, but want to err on the side of caution) it gives me a goal calorie of 2,038. MFP has me at 1730 and losing 1.5 pounds a week which is about the same amount of loss that the TDEE goal provides. Why is there such a calorie difference? I'm concerned if I do the 2,038 that I'm not going to lose or that I'll gain. If you have any advice or insight, please help. Thanks.

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    MFP expects you to eat back your exercise calories, TDEE factors that number in already..
  • strongwoman84
    strongwoman84 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    So even on days that I don't exercise this amount should still be ok?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Using the TDEE method, the deficit is built in over the week. It equals out to the same thing. I personally think the TDEE method to be easier to maintain so you can have a standard goal. Also consider though, with 100 lbs to lose, you can sustain a bit larger of a deficit. You could eat 1800 calories and be fine. Ideally, I would adjust macro's to ensure protein is good and when you exercise include resistance training to help sustain your lean body mass and metabolism.

FYI, I eat 2400 calories daily. Have since I started. Even though you "should " adjust as you lose weight, I found my exercise improvements were offsetting the minor metabolic adjustments. Essentially, i help my TDEE through all my weight loss.
  • yom8
    yom8 Posts: 10
    Options
    I tried that calculator too and it told me to eat 2, 038 calories too! which I can't even imagine eating. I have a hard time getting to 1,400.
  • strongwoman84
    Options
    Using the TDEE method, the deficit is built in over the week. It equals out to the same thing. I personally think the TDEE method to be easier to maintain so you can have a standard goal. Also consider though, with 100 lbs to lose, you can sustain a bit larger of a deficit. You could eat 1800 calories and be fine. Ideally, I would adjust macro's to ensure protein is good and when you exercise include resistance training to help sustain your lean body mass and metabolism.

FYI, I eat 2400 calories daily. Have since I started. Even though you "should " adjust as you lose weight, I found my exercise improvements were offsetting the minor metabolic adjustments. Essentially, i help my TDEE through all my weight loss.

I've got my protein set at 40% and carbs and fats at 30%. I've never really paid attention to the macros before. How important is it to stay within those margins? Right now I'm over quite a bit on carbs and sugars but have 2 servings of fruit and multi grain breads that are contributing over half of what my alotment is.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I am doing a little bit of a post-jack. Sorry but I didn't want to start another one!

I am doing Insanity right now (5 or 6 days per week for 30-45 min at an intense level) and a 90 min ballet class 1 day per week. I can't decide putting this into the TDEE calculator as "Moderate Exercise: 3-5 days/week" or "Heavy Exericse: 6-7 days/week". Thoughts? Doesn't matter?

Edit: I'm trying to lose the 7lbs I put on since Thanksgiving so I would be doing TDEE - 15% or so.
  • strongwoman84
    Options
    I am doing a little bit of a post-jack. Sorry but I didn't want to start another one!

I am doing Insanity right now (5 or 6 days per week for 30-45 min at an intense level) and a 90 min ballet class 1 day per week. I can't decide putting this into the TDEE calculator as "Moderate Exercise: 3-5 days/week" or "Heavy Exericse: 6-7 days/week". Thoughts? Doesn't matter?

Edit: I'm trying to lose the 7lbs I put on since Thanksgiving so I would be doing TDEE - 15% or so.

I would think it would be Heavy Exercise based on the calorie burn and number of days per week you are doing the program.
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Meeting your protein goal is essential, unless you want to lose muscle instead of fat! The extra protein (1 gram/pound lean body mass, which is 100-125 grams for most women) has been shown to help spare lean body mass loss, while helping to burn fat. Fats are also very important for nutrition. I don't eat low carb, but I don't eat carbs at the expense of fats or protein. I eat & usually exceed my protein goal and met my fat goal. I hardly ever eat all my carbs.

Also, you do not eat back exercise calories with the TDEE method. The exercise calories are already calculated in with your activity level.
  • Docpremie
    Options
    Here's an alternative way to calculate & follow the TDEE-deficit weight loss plan. I just posted this in another thread:

I've been using the TDEE method for 8-9 months. I've found the easiest way to figure calories & macros is using Heybale's Excel spreadsheet. It will do all the calculations for you. Once you open the spreadsheet, there are several tabs along the bottom. The 1st tab is for entering your measurements & goals. It will calculate your %BF & then calculate your activity level. The 2nd tab is for entering & trending your measurement. The 3rd or 4th (?) tab figures your macro goals.

For protein, ensure you are getting AT LEAST 1 gram/pound lean body mass--for most women that's 100-125 grams/day. Your fat should be set at 0.4 grams/pound of lean body mass. Carbs are whatever is left. ... meet your calorie goal most every day!!! If after 3-4 weeks, you're not losing then adjust your daily calorie goal by 100 calories & watch for another 3-4 weeks. You may need more calories or less calories, it can be a little trial & error from the TDEE-deficit calculation. If you need to lose >20 pounds, set your deficit at TDEE-20%. If your need to lose 10-20 pounds, then TDEE-10 to 15%, and once you're down to <10 pounds to lose, set your goal to TDEE-5-10%.

Meeting your macros, especially protein, is very important! You want to lose fat not muscle (lean body mass), so protein intake is very important. The more lean body mass you lose, the lower your BMR will be. That's where folks get lost in the "starvation mode" idea. It's not so much borderline/low calories cause "starvation," as it robs you of your lean body mass, and as the lean body mass drops, so does your BMR (i.e. daily basal calorie burn). Resistance training/heavy lifting is also essential for maintaining lean body mass/muscle as well."

Here's a link to Heybales TDEE calculator: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/heybales

Go to heybales profile page & look for the link to his Excel spreadsheet. It's a few lines down from "About Me." The spreadsheet is great! I've been using it for 8-9 months now & have lost tons of weight, as has my family. The instructions are at the top of the document. You change the values in "yellow" & the others will adjust to give you your %BF, BMR, TDEE & macro goals. It also allows you to enter your activity in "hours." I redo my numbers monthly or after I've lost 5 pounds. The second tab also allows you to track your values over time, so everything is in one simple spreadsheet!
  • strongwoman84
    Options
    Meeting your protein goal is essential, unless you want to lose muscle instead of fat! The extra protein (1 gram/pound lean body mass, which is 100-125 grams for most women) has been shown to help spare lean body mass loss, while helping to burn fat. Fats are also very important for nutrition. I don't eat low carb, but I don't eat carbs at the expense of fats or protein. I eat & usually exceed my protein goal and met my fat goal. I hardly ever eat all my carbs.

What are your percentages? I have mine at 40% for protein and that is saying like 170grams which seems like a lot.
  • strongwoman84
    Options
    Here's an alternative way to calculate & follow the TDEE-deficit weight loss plan. I just posted this in another thread:

I've been using the TDEE method for 8-9 months. I've found the easiest way to figure calories & macros is using Heybale's Excel spreadsheet. It will do all the calculations for you. Once you open the spreadsheet, there are several tabs along the bottom. The 1st tab is for entering your measurements & goals. It will calculate your %BF & then calculate your activity level. The 2nd tab is for entering & trending your measurement. The 3rd or 4th (?) tab figures your macro goals.

For protein, ensure you are getting AT LEAST 1 gram/pound lean body mass--for most women that's 100-125 grams/day. Your fat should be set at 0.4 grams/pound of lean body mass. Carbs are whatever is left. ... meet your calorie goal most every day!!! If after 3-4 weeks, you're not losing then adjust your daily calorie goal by 100 calories & watch for another 3-4 weeks. You may need more calories or less calories, it can be a little trial & error from the TDEE-deficit calculation. If you need to lose >20 pounds, set your deficit at TDEE-20%. If your need to lose 10-20 pounds, then TDEE-10 to 15%, and once you're down to <10 pounds to lose, set your goal to TDEE-5-10%.

Meeting your macros, especially protein, is very important! You want to lose fat not muscle (lean body mass), so protein intake is very important. The more lean body mass you lose, the lower your BMR will be. That's where folks get lost in the "starvation mode" idea. It's not so much borderline/low calories cause "starvation," as it robs you of your lean body mass, and as the lean body mass drops, so does your BMR (i.e. daily basal calorie burn). Resistance training/heavy lifting is also essential for maintaining lean body mass/muscle as well."

Here's a link to Heybales TDEE calculator: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/heybales

Go to heybales profile page & look for the link to his Excel spreadsheet. It's a few lines down from "About Me." The spreadsheet is great! I've been using it for 8-9 months now & have lost tons of weight, as has my family. The instructions are at the top of the document. You change the values in "yellow" & the others will adjust to give you your %BF, BMR, TDEE & macro goals. It also allows you to enter your activity in "hours." I redo my numbers monthly or after I've lost 5 pounds. The second tab also allows you to track your values over time, so everything is in one simple spreadsheet!

Thanks! I will check this out when I get home!
  • Docpremie
    Options
    Thanks! I will check this out when I get home!

It really is the easier way to set & follow your calorie & macro goals (carb, fat, protein). There are multiple tabs along the bottom edge of the spreadsheet. The first is the "set-up" page where you log measurements & activity levels. The 2nd tab allows you to track changes over time. The 3rd or 4th (?) tab is for setting macros. It will calculate your goals based on the lean body mass (LBM) calculated on the first page. All the work is done for you! :)

Update the spreadsheet every time you lose 5 pounds or every month. The program automatically sets your goals based on pounds to lose, & decreases the deficit automatically once you get within 20 pounds of your goal. It's a great program!!! I've lost 60 pounds using it!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

What are your percentages? I have mine at 40% for protein and that is saying like 170grams which seems like a lot.

40% or 170gs would align to my requirements as a man. That is why I suggested 30% protein. Realistically, once you hit 1g of pro and .35g of fats, then the rest can be carbs. It's not really any more advantageous to exceed those numbers outside of diet adherence.