Opinion on Bowflex dumbbells, bench?

Options
Tykk
Tykk Posts: 153 Member
I'm thinking of oicking up a pair of Bowflex 552's. The reviews seem to be strong. Does anyone here have any opinions? Is there anything else I should be considering instead?

I've also been researching benches, and like the look of the Bowflex 3.1. It seems like a good compromise between price and ability to safely support my heavyweight self. Again, anyone have any input?

Thanks!

Replies

• Tykk
    Options
    Well, this disappeared off the front page in about 10 minutes yesterday, so I'm going for one bump. :)
  • Ilb320
    Ilb320 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It really just depends on what type of activity you want to do. Are you looking for good old fashioned strength training? Are you looking to burn fat and build muscle with circuit training? How much room do you have?
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    I have a pair, I love them.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I have the SelectTech 552s and I love them. I've had them for about 6 years now and have had no issues with them whatsoever. As long as you take care of them and don't try to be a "bro" and drop them, they should last a very long time.

Have you looked at the 1090s? As a guy, the 552s might not be heavy enough.
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of 552s and love them lots. I got the deal where they came with stand and bench for free. ( It was about this time of the year as well ..) You might even search around for Bowflex type coupons on the net.. A buddy of mine got the Set last year with a bench for free, but found a coupon online for free shipping and free stand with purchase of the 552s.. Basically got the same deal I did. But I had to pay shipping.

As others have said take care of them and they will take care of you... I have had mine for 2 years Best piece of fitness equipment I ever bought.
  • Tykk
    Options
    That's so useful feedback, thanks guys.

I've done weights on and off for years, and am looking for a way of doing them at home to save time. I love going to the gym, but between family and job I've been finding it hard to squeeze out that much time in one chunk. My main interest is keeping up muscle mass as I'm losing weight - at my stage in life, I'm not going for the ripped-in-a-speedo look.

I think the 552's will be enough for me indefinitely. If I do so well that I'm lifting over 52 lbs in each hand, I'll be very happy to shell out the money to upgrade.

I'm seeing really good deals on eBay for the combo of weights/stand/bench.

The one negative I've seen is that they are so wide, you have to adapt some exercises. Any feedback on that practically?

Thanks again.
  • Tykk
    Options
    Oh, llb320, I have tons of space - big basement that's barely being used. I could in theory put in a rack and individual dumbbells, but am a bit put off by the cost. What are your thoughts?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Oh, llb320, I have tons of space - big basement that's barely being used. I could in theory put in a rack and individual dumbbells, but am a bit put off by the cost. What are your thoughts?

I would do the rack, bench and barbells and forget the dumbbells, as you can hit every major muscle group using BB exercises. That said if you are into "body building" instead of just "strength training" then dumbbells would come in handy, and the adjustable one would be just fine, though with things like bench presses, rows, you may outgrow that weight fairly quickly.
  • eryquem
    eryquem Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've been looking for some adjustable dumb bells myself, and I was also concerned with the issue of size even when set to light weight. After looking around a bit, I discovered the Stairmaster twist lock. They're more expensive than most, but from all the reviews I've seen, they seem to be the best of all of them, in spite of not being as we'll known. I ordered them last week, and they should be arriving any day. When I've had a chance to use them first hand, I'll let you know how they work out.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Powerblock > Bowflex. They're expandable for when you do eventually outgrow the 50 lb weights (and yes, you will EVENTUALLY for some exercises) and they can be used for a wider variety of exercises because of the shape. Also, the benches by those brands are RIDICULOUSLY overpriced. A regular incline bench that costs $50 will do just fine.
  • akdollie
    akdollie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I love mine! Have had them for a few years and used on and off (off while I had my gym membership) but now that I am not going to the gym I am using them again 5-6 days a week.
  • eryquem
    eryquem Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Okay, here's the update. The Stairmaster twistlocks showed up tonight, and I've tested them out a bit.

They're really nice. Very solid feeling, and the design/mechanism is elegant and smooth.

I like the fact that they're only as big as they need to be without the extra "housing" that the bowflex and others have. I was originally a bit concerned as to how sturdy the mechanism would be to hold the weights on, but now that I see it in person, there's no worry. The weights dovetail together, and a large metal pin goes through the center to keep them from sliding out. But it's the dovetail over the entire diameter of each weight plate that gives most of the structural integrity, which is really good design in my opinion.

They're also the fastest and easiest to change weight of all the different brands I've looked at. The fact that I can just slide the weights into the base and turn the handle without even having to let go means that I can go from one weight to another in a matter of a couple of seconds. I'm planning on doing drop-sets with these, so that's an important factor.

Even at the higher price, I would definitely recommend them.
  • Tykk
    Options
    Very interesting, eryquem, I am going to read up on these!
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Question asked by friends as they embark in exercising at home and quitting the gym due to cost/never attending. What are the suggestions for adjustable weights, or to get 3-4 sets so a middle age couple, early 50s, both can use more to maintain muscle? I looked at stairmaster but at $399 is too expensive. Wife does at 25kg? and husband around 40.