Soup recipes please :)

Options
13»

Replies

• Brown523
    Brown523 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Love soup!! Unfortunately I'm the only one in the house that does and it's hard to make it in small batches!
  • mshoneysmile7
    mshoneysmile7 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I LOVE experimenting with soups! The only thing is I usually make soup from leftovers from Christmas & Thanksgiving. I also make them with canned veggies. Here's one I tried and LOVED

1 Cup of Leftover Ham
    1 Can of Organic Diced Tomatoes
    1 Can of Green Beans
    1 can of sweet yellow Corn
    1 box of Low Sodium Chicken Broth (Equal Parts Water)
    2 diced Russet Potatoes
    Onion Powder, Salt & Pepper to taste.

----

Empty box of chicken broth into the pot. Fill empty broth container with water and empty that into the pot as well. Bring to a boil. I drained the liquid from the cans EXCEPT for the canned tomato. Then add all ingredients and simmer on medium low for 20 minutes with lid on. ENJOY!
  • ScorpionQwean
    ScorpionQwean Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Ingredients

1 Butternut squash, about 2 pounds FROZEN AND CUBED
    2 tablespoons peanut oil
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 1/2 teaspoons chopped garlic
    1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
    1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1 tablespoon finely minced jalapeno pepper
    2 cups vegetable stock
    1/4 cup heavy cream (I sub this for light cream)

Directions
    Boil water in large pot and put in the frozen cubed butternut squash, carrots, and vegetable broth.

In medium pan heat oil and add onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until they begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the cumin, salt, and pepper. Cook for 1 minute, and then add jalapeno pepper, continually stirring. Reduce heat and simmer for 15- 20 minutes.

Remove from the the onion heat and puree the soup using an immersion blender, or transfer to a blender or food processor. IF YOU USE A REGULAR BLENDER BE SURE THE SOUP HAS COOLED DOWN. Puree until smooth. Return to the heat, add the cream and adjust the seasonings.
  • nikkincs
    nikkincs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I need to save this for later.....I make a soup every sunday for my lunches for the week
  • Livestrongalways
    Options
    Karrenad87.......Tried ur soup today and used ham cubes tasted fab and wilth very little calories :) so easy to make don't know why I haven't done it before lol ....thank u xXx
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    What I normally do is just buy some veg and cook it in a pot with some veg or chicken stock and add a little salt and pepper. Then pop it in the food processor. Quick and easy!

I do this too... I call it "cream of vegetable end soup" because I use up all the broccoli stems and celery ends and a few bits of onion. I boil the heck out of them with diluted broth, run it through a food processor, then put it back in the pan with a bit of milk and heat it up.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Most soups freeze well--get some one/quart freezer bags and you'll have a few for busy days.
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    6 oz. turkey sausage
    2 cloves minced garlic
    1 small red onion (chopped)
    3 stalks celery (chopped)
    2 carrots (chopped)
    fennel to taste
    1 tsp fresh thyme
    salt and pepper to taste
    7 c. low-sodium chicken broth
    6 c. chopped swiss chard
    1 package (6 -10 oz) mini tortellini

sautee red onion, celery and garlic in 1 tbsp. olive oil until soft and translucent. Add sausage and seasonings to pot, sautee with vegetables. Add 1 c. broth, simmer to get crusty bits off bottom of pot. Add the rest of the broth, and the carrots and swiss chard. Bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until carrots begin to soften. Add tortellini, simmer 5-1 minutes. Top with shredded parmesan to taste.

YUM!:smooched:
  • jamoore94
    jamoore94 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I pretty much live on soup so I have a million recipes for them, here are three of my favorites, they are all vegetarian, but you could very easily throw in some diced chicken or ground beef.

Onion, Leek and Kale Soup
    Ingredients:
    1-2 Tbsp. olive or canola oil
    3 large or 6 small onions, thinly sliced
    2-3 small leeks, thinly sliced and washed well
    1 large bunch kale (about 6 leaves), stems removed, washed well and roughly chopped
    4-6 cups homemade broth or stock (vegetable, chicken, or beef)
    1/2 tsp. dried sage
    1 bay leaf
    salt, to taste
    1 day old baguette, cut into 1/2" slices and toasted
    1-2 cups shredded Gruyere (use more or less according to your preference)
    Instructions:
    Heat the oil in a 3-4 quart pot. Add the onions and leeks. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until they reduce in volume by about half and turn lightly golden. Add the kale and cook for a few minutes. Add the broth or stock, dried sage and bay leaf. Taste and add salt. Simmer until kale is tender, about 10 minutes.

Lentil Soup
    Ingredients
    • 2 tsp. olive oil
    • 1 medium onion, diced
    • 2 stalks celery, diced
    • 3 medium carrots, diced
    • 6 cloves garlic, minced
    • salt & pepper to taste
    • 1 tbsp. ground cumin
    • 1 tsp. ground coriander
    • 1 c. brown lentils, rinsed
    • 1/2 c. brown rice
    • 6 c. vegetable broth
    • lemon wedges for serving (wedges from 1 lemon is a good amount)
    Instructions
    1. Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, and carrots and sauté until softened, about 6 minutes.
    2. Add garlic, salt, and pepper and saute for another minute. Add spices and cook for 15 seconds, stirring constantly.
    3. Add lentils, rice, and broth. Cover Dutch oven and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer partially covered for 40 minutes, or until rice and lentils are tender, stirring occasionally. Serve with lemon wedges.

Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup
    Ingredients
    • 1 tbsp. olive oil
    • 1 lb. white or cremini mushrooms, sliced
    • 1 c. celery, chopped
    • 1 c. carrots, chopped
    • 1 medium shallot, chopped
    • 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
    • salt + pepper to taste
    • 1/3 c. white wine
    • 1 tsp. dried thyme
    • 4 c. vegetable broth
    • 1 c. instant or cooked wild rice
    • 3/4 c. reduced-fat sour cream
    • 2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
    Instructions
    1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add mushrooms, celery, carrots, and shallot and cook, stirring often, until softened (5-7 minutes). Stir in flour, salt, and pepper and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add white wine and thyme; increase heat to medium-high and cook 2 minutes more.
    2. Add broth to Dutch oven and bring to a boil. If you're using instant rice, add it now and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook until rice is tender, 5-7 minutes, then stir in sour cream and parsley. If you're using cooked rice, once soup has come to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and stir in rice, sour cream, and parsley.
  • sarahloux6
    Options
    My easy chunky soup consist of;

3x leeks
    3x potatoes
    1x pepper fine chopped
    1x carrot
    1x red onion

chilli to spice
    garlic clove

2x vegetable stock cube
    1x chicken stock cube

cook until potato soft, the use a masher to mash or blend if you like smooth soup!
  • TheChocolatePrincess
    Options
    This is a good recipe. I made this about 2 years ago for a company chili cook off and I won 2nd place...
    My boyfriend made this for me the other night, so yummy and filling and protein packed!
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/tuscan-chicken-bean-spinach-soup-10000001882382/

Also my most favorite soup in the whole world, I'd bet you good money you can omit cooking stages and just throw it all in a slow cooker for 8 hours on low:

Pumpkin Turkey Chili
    INGREDIENTS
    • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    • 1 cup chopped onion
    • 1/2 cup chopped red or orange bell pepper
    • 1/2 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
    • 1 clove garlic, minced
    • 1 pound ground turkey
    • 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
    • 2 cups pumpkin puree
    • 2 cans black beans, rinsed
    • 1 can chili beans
    • 1 cup frozen corn
    • 3/4 cup chicken broth
    • 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
    • 1 tsp cayenne pepper
    • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
    • 1 tbsp cumin
    • 1 tsp dried oregano
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    • 1 dash salt
    • 2 tbsp Cholula hot sauce (optional – but it makes it for me)

DIRECTIONS
    1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and saute the onion, red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, and garlic until tender. Stir in the turkey, and cook until evenly brown (add in 1/4 cup chicken broth halfway through). Mix in tomatoes (with juice) and pumpkin, corn, and beans. Season with chili powder, cayenne, cinnamon, cumin, oregano, pepper, and salt. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes. optional: serve topped with sour cream or greek yogurt or cheddar cheese
  • tskvaughn
    tskvaughn Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Just made this. Very easy. According to MFP recipe calculator has 99 Calories a serving.
    99 c, 13 carbs, 220 sodium, 8 fat, 5 protein

Makes about 6 cups.

5 cups Kitchen Basics sodium free Chicken Stock
    1 medium butternut (winter) squash peeled, seeded and cubed (for me this was about 5 cups)
    1 medium sweet potato peeled (you could bake this and then peel it and add to the cooked mix. May be easier)
    1/2 c. diced carrots (I use baby carrots as they are peeled)
    1/4 c butter (real butter makes a difference in taste and your body does require some fat.)
    Garlic powder to taste ( I just sprinkled a bit)

Bring stock to a boil. Add diced squash, sweet potato and carrots. Bring back to a boil and cook on medium for about 20 minutes or until veggies are soft. If you baked the potato first, add the potato when other veggies are done. Add butter and garlic (optional). Puree. (I use a hand blender). Soup has a very thick creamy consistency. You can add more stock if you like thinner.

I did not add salt as am cutting sodium. To me didn't need it.